Why do we have 8 gig's of internal storage?

Slow88lx

Reaction score
Like the title says, why do we have such a large internal memory? I have more apps than I could ever use and I still have 5.7 gig's left over.

Is there anyway to use the internal storage via a file manager?

I realize every time I wipe/install a ROM all internal storage gets dumped, but I'd like to use the extra space it in the meantime.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I was thinking the same thing. My bud has a DInc and he can use his internal memory for whatever he wants.

qman66

Reaction score
Like the title says, why do we have such a large internal memory? I have more apps than I could ever use and I still have 5.7 gig's left over.

I realize every time I wipe/install a ROM all internal storage gets dumped, but I'd like to use the extra space it in the meantime.

Yes it can be used. That's where I keep videos and stuff. Requires root and with root explorer go to the data folder.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
My thought is to make up for the 8gb SD card....the OG droid had 16gb...seems that the DX and the D2 got short changed in the SD catagory but made up for in the internal. It doesn't matter. I already ordered my 32g for my D2.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My thought is to make up for the 8gb SD card....the OG droid had 16gb...seems that the DX and the D2 got short changed in the SD catagory but made up for in the internal. It doesn't matter. I already ordered my 32g for my D2.

Ummmm, the DX shipped with a 16gb SD card...and at the time, was the only Droid doing so as the DINC and D2 both shipped with 8gb cards pre-installed.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Yes it can be used. That's where I keep videos and stuff. Requires root and with root explorer go to the data folder.

I grabbed root explorer and moved one of my movies to my internal phone memory. Now it wont play! Am I able to play movies that are on my internal memory? Thanks!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

I grabbed root explorer and moved one of my movies to my internal phone memory. Now it wont play! Am I able to play movies that are on my internal memory? Thanks!

I don't think the media scan searches for media on the internal phone memory. You can play the video by browsing to it using root explorer and tapping on it though.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

I don't think the media scan searches for media on the internal phone memory. You can play the video by browsing to it using root explorer and tapping on it though.

Just tried tapping on it and it still wont play. Bummer! Not sure what good having access to the data folder is!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

Just tried tapping on it and it still wont play. Bummer! Not sure what good having access to the data folder is!

That's strange. I just tried coping a movie into /data/download and tapped on it using root explorer and it played for me on my phone.

donballz

Reaction score
My wife has an LG Ally. 2gigs of internal and what a pain in the ass this phone is. Significantly limits the number of apps she can use.

And if it fills, you can't do anything. Send texts, email; anything that affects the /data folder. So you have to uninstall programs and then reboot.

Be glad for the minor "inconvenience" of wasting space.

Jambanc

Reaction score
I'm not rooted and I have a stock manager.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App