Galaxy S3: "sdCard" location in internal memory after adding microSD card

MJP1966

Reaction score
When I got my S3 about 2 weeks ago, I started to use the phone without a microSD card in the phone (it was on back order). With no physical microSD card in the phone, there is an "sdCard" folder (/mnt/sdcard ) in the phones internal memory which is the phones default "sdCard" location. I have now added a microSD card but the phone recognizes it as a folder called "extSdCard" (/mnt/extSdCard).

The problem I am having is that the OS still thinks that the internal "sdCard" folder is the location of the actual sdCard, so all of the apps think the internal "sdCard" folder is the actual sdCard.

How do I tell the phone that the physical microSD card is the "sdCard" location and not the "sdCard" folder in internal memory?

Thanks

TatDroid

Reaction score
I don't have an S3, but I'm pretty sure it's like my Bionic - you can't move apps to the removable SD card. (unless maybe if you're rooted?) The external SD is for your media files - music, pictures, movies, etc. If you do a search, I think there are some threads on that.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah the APPS are going to use the internal SD card by default whether you have an external one or not. Like TatDroid said the external is for media and the like, I think they do it like that in case your SD card fails your APPS still function.

They do have APPS that can't backup your APPS data to the External SD Card but I think they all require rooting.

Al.Gray

Reaction score
You can use 'DirectoryBind' to move almost all apps and games to your SD card and run them from there, freeing up a whole heap of space on your internal phone memory. It works flawlessly on my Samsung S3 I9300. Love it!

Here's a link with some detailed instructions (remove spaces)

h**p://forum. xda-developers. com/ showthread.php?t=1741463

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Al