SD Card from my old Droid X into my new S3 -- apps don't see files/folders?

woodcycl

Reaction score
I backed up certain data from 3rd party apps to the SD Card and also backed up all apps and data using MyBackupPro on my Droid X.

Now that I have the SD Card in my Samsung S3 and go to see My Files, it shows two areas: ent/sdcard and ent/extsdcard. It appears from viewing the two different directories, my current data, files, etc. are under the ent/sdcard. And, possibly the S3 is under ent/extsdcard??

I have an app that allows me to track my mileage for work. I backed it up to the SD Card on my Droid X. But, now that the app is installed on my S3, it does NOT see any data on the card. It appears other data is not showing up either.

When I look at the card on my desktop, neither of those directories are displayed. And, the folder names don't look quite the same as they do when the card is in either phone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The system on the S3 reads things like this:

ent/sdcard = internal S3 memory
ent/extsdcard = removable microSD card

Your computer will read them somewhat differently.

The S3 (and other recent Android phones) does not store app data on the removable SD card (extsdcard). It's all stored in the internal memory (sdcard). You can try copying the information from extsdcard to the appropriate folder on the sdcard to see if it will work, but there's no guarantee that all of it will.

OP
W

woodcycl

Reaction score
The S3 (and other recent Android phones) does not store app data on the removable SD card (extsdcard). It's all stored in the internal memory (sdcard). You can try copying the information from extsdcard to the appropriate folder on the sdcard to see if it will work, but there's no guarantee that all of it will.

After comparing how the Files look on each phone and on the computer, I was able to do exactly what you explained ... I did a "copy" and copied the Trip Master backup file from the extsdcard to the sdcard directly. The Trip Master mileage app must only bacup to internal memory thus it wasn't able to see the backup on the extsdcard.

Thanks much!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
After comparing how the Files look on each phone and on the computer, I was able to do exactly what you explained ... I did a "copy" and copied the Trip Master backup file from the extsdcard to the sdcard directly. The Trip Master mileage app must only bacup to internal memory thus it wasn't able to see the backup on the extsdcard.

Thanks much!

I'm glad you were able to get it going.

You'll find that with the S3 (as well as with many other recent Android phones), virtually none of your apps will back up or store data to the removable SD card. They will all keep their data on the internal memory.