[Rumor] Verizon Steps Up Detecting & Stopping Unapproved Tethering with Gingerbread

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Waiting to see how many ppl jump to sprint lol

Would be funny to see an earnings conference where they say "according to our research, unhappy rooters - approximately .2% of the market - have given indication they intend to switch to Sprint"

...fixed that for ya.

I guarantee you that its more than .2 percent of DROID users. Jailbroken iphones are also way more common than that also.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

yahwarrior

Reaction score
LOL I'm so glad that I can tether all I want to on Sprint's UNLIMITED data plan.I'll keep this Evo just for that. I'll then open another line for the new EVO3d. It's still way cheaper than home internet.

Natey2

Reaction score
Waiting to see how many ppl jump to sprint lol

Would be funny to see an earnings conference where they say "according to our research, unhappy rooters - approximately 2% of the market - have given indication they intend to switch to Sprint"

If those 2% (or .2%) leave Verizon, would that free up 60% of VZW bandwidth for use by unrooted users?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'll then open another line for the new EVO3d. It's still way cheaper than home internet.

Still too slow if I had to use that for home internet....

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I have never used more than 2gb of data. I have used tether a few times while in hotels that charge for internet and I had business that needed to be done. What is being missed here IMHO is the carriers are using the same broken logic the music industry uses - every tether is a loss of income (every download is loss of income...). Not true at all. If it is not available I will never pay for it and will just use the phone and gripe about the stupid carrier until enough people do to change things.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never used more than 2gb of data. I have used tether a few times while in hotels that charge for internet and I had business that needed to be done. What is being missed here IMHO is the carriers are using the same broken logic the music industry uses - every tether is a loss of income (every download is loss of income...). Not true at all. If it is not available I will never pay for it and will just use the phone and gripe about the stupid carrier until enough people do to change things.

I agree with all that. The simple solution with tiers/caps is for VZW to just not care - 2gigs and tether all you want. The problem is if including tether lowers my data or increases the price, I'm not really on board with that (and I suspect you aren't, either).

They should just have a $5 option for 250-500megs that you can turn on and off online like other options. I think most people would be cool with that.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
My biggest complaint with the current tiered pricing model is that going over costs are out of line. For ex: sign onto a 20gb data plan for say $20. You go over (with the appropriate warnings) you pay another $20 for another 20 gb. That is fairer. Better still if the unused could carry over like some carriers minutes...

But to me tether should be included in all tier plans. Data is still data IMHO.

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I've already stated that depending on where verizon goes with it's data plan will determine whether or not I upgrade and renew my contract in November. Sprint keeps looking better and better.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But to me tether should be included in all tier plans. Data is still data IMHO.

On a limited plan I mostly agree, because you can't just burn through massive amounts of data that you simply wouldn't be using on a tiny smartphone screen. Unlimited plans are a different ballgame, though.

I almost think VZW will have to include tethering as an option. People aren't going to be happy paying $30 for a smartphone AND tablet if their combined usage is still less than a single plan. And stuff like the Atrix or that new Asus PadPhone or whatever is difficult to deal with, not to mention HDMI mirroring. I don't think it will make sense to have a complicated pricing structure, and policing/enforcing it would seem cost prohibitive, as well.

VZW has already mentioned "buckets of data" at least once, and if that's the route they go (I can't see where any other option makes sense, really) then that would also seem to mark an end to charging for tethering.

Of course, that leaves an issue with what to do with people grandfathered on unlimited plans and might explain why they seem to be trying to close that loophole with software updates.

Agrajag

Reaction score
I feel this is a ripoff considering I only use it once in a blue moon

That's my issue. I use it literally about 5 times a year and I never get anywhere near a GIG of data let alone 2GB of data, 5GB of data, etc.

This BS of having to pay almost as much for this one feature than for the entire data plan is just crazy. I'd consider it if it was like $5 a month for some minimal amount. I had been thinking about a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and using WiFi Tether. So much for that plan. Plan B is PDANet wired. Yuck.

So what are the options for those of us who have no intention of accepting this? Save the preaching .... I pay for every app I have. I have $200 a month for my cell package and I believe that's enough. If you disagree then that's your prerogative. Let's just skip that part please.

swagmonster

Reaction score
Me I honestly hate Verizon for crap like this but they have awesome covereage and some of the best phones which is why I am with them...how ever when I get the chance you can be guarenteed I do what I can to "stick it to the man"I don't really use a lot if data 2-4 gigs a month most of it is from downloading music from my phone. So I'm not really on their top wanted list but I take a jab at em every now and then just to.put the tiniest.dent in their pockets

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The only device I really tether anymore is my Xoom tablet. And I don't use wireless tether or PDAnet or Barnacle..etc. I use the Bluetooth method. I never get redirected...havent since the GB update either (on the Droid X)
The connection is quick and fast as my 3G on the phone.
I have no clue how they are detecting this info...whether its a kernel module or an apk or what...but I have no issues.
I don't know what criteria (if any) is necessary for the "redirected to VZW page" to happen.
I recently looked at my past bills and I have NEVER even gone over 1 gb/month. So I'm not even coming close to triggering any red flags. At least I hope not.

I'm curious to see what VZW would say about that form of tethering. Two Motorola devices that have the free option built in...probably under-utilized also.

jacobbones

Reaction score
Is this crackdown only for rooted phones doing wifi hotspots?

I use pdanet on occasion