[Rumor]Samsung/Google ICS Event Back on for October 18/19

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
[Rumor] Samsung/Google ICS Event Back on for October 18/19

galaxy-nexus-render-600x260.jpg

Well guys, rumors seem to be swirling around from quite a few places that the ICS event is back online. Word around the Android world is that All Things Digital has a conference going on in Hong Kong on October 19th with Andy Rubin as one of the speakers. It seems like this may be the day Samsung and Google unveil ICS. The event starts in the evening on October 19th but the announcement should come before the conference which will be October 18th for North America. If this is true, then this is an interesting date because this is also the date Motorola is set to announce the Droid RAZR/HD. It looks like next two weeks are going to be big in the tech world!

Via: Engadget, Droid-Life,​

Last edited by a moderator:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Smart move. I don't see Samsung letting the Razr announcement happen without announcing the Nexus. Would put them behind the time curve.
I kinda disagree. I would imagine Verizon would want to separate the announcements a little bit from each other. They wouldn't want to hurt one phone over the other. Thats just my opinion. Seperating them by a week or two would be smarter. Then again they are putting a lot of handsets lately, i would think it would be kinda hard to not to stack announcements for a couple of phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they both agree on this stuff, i doubt Samsung just announces their stuff without the opinion of VZ. If Vz says, i bet samsung does. :O

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Useless point though huh? :frown: All we really care about is the release date. Why is it so secretive? Lol, its a phone, not a "Top Secret" Black Opts assignment.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Useless point though huh? :frown: All we really care about is the release date. Why is it so secretive? Lol, its a phone, not a "Top Secret" Black Opts assignment.

Tell me about it. For the first time since I've had smart phones, I've had an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket for three months. I have NEVER done that before. I just haven't seen anything getting my attention until now. That Prime fully has my attention. I want that for my birthday. :D

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. For the first time since I've had smart phones, I've had an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket for three months. I have NEVER done that before. I just haven't seen anything getting my attention until now. That Prime fully has my attention. I want that for my birthday. :D
I couldnt agree more... my birthday is on October 18... lol. Just give me my present sammy, tired of obsessing on a device.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Actually announcing the two so close is great for Verizon.
The competition is only between Motorola and Samsung.
Win win for Verizon. And both of the phone companies want to get their product out to try and grab any possible disgruntled iPhone fans, due to the release of the 4s instead of the 5.
Not to mention that I hear that the 4s pre orders are sold out and the wait is going to be awhile. Another great opportunity to possibly snag some who were going to move to an iPhone for the first time. Some people will not be willing to wait, we're naturally impatient.
And once they get a taste of android they may well be hooked.
And all the companies whose phones have the android OS benefit by more people being exposed to the OS.
Someone buying a phone from one maker won't necessarily have brand loyalty as much as they'll have android loyalty.
These large corporations all think about short and long term opportunity, because they are secure in their company being around for a while, a fear smaller businesses have to take into account constantly.
Short term opportunity being the earlier you release the more sales before the end of the 4th quarter and buzz ahead of the holidays. Word of mouth is a big generator of sales and it comes at a cost of nada.
This is great for attracting possible investors.
Long term opportunity being it will be easier to get a consumer to switch to a different android phone maker than to get an iPhone user to switch to android OS due to having no tangible experience to drive the switch.

As for Verizon, I think that having two hotties hitting the street at the same time is exactly what they would love.
Nothing would please them more than having some huge lines outside stores to attract coverage from the press, free PR and a major way to attract and motivate possible customers.
When people see a giant line for something, it taps into a deeper level within. It ignites the inate human desire to be a part of something big, to be on the inside looking out instead of the outside looking in, to belong.
Sadly this very desire has also been responsible for some of the worst periods in the history of humanity.

Remember all the coverage Apple receives whenever they release something and the lines are out the door. Every press medium flocks to cover it and it would be a great achievement if Verizon could replicate that imagery as it's powerful stuff and incredibly influential on everyone on a subconscious level.

I am waiting with eager anticipation. Does anyone know of somewhere relatively reliable with a breakdown of both of the new phones specs? Any link or recommendations would be much appreciated.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I just read the posts made while writing the above.
I hit 38 on Halloween.
So am I to understand that this thread is teeming with Scorpios?
Funny, and I don't believe in coincidence. I wonder what this means? Free phones for the lot of us? :)

danceswithbongs

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I just read the posts made while writing the above.
I hit 38 on Halloween.
So am I to understand that this thread is teeming with Scorpios?
Funny, and I don't believe in coincidence. I wonder what this means? Free phones for the lot of us? :)

danceswithbongs
Scopios?