Google Launchpad Devs State Nexus 5 & Android 4.4 KitKat Launching on Oct. 15th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus_5_Render.png

So far, most of the rumored launch dates for the LG-made Google Nexus 5 have centered around October 14th. However, we have solid intel that the actual launch date of both Android 4.4 KitKat and the Nexus 5 will actually be a day later than that on October 15th. Developers who attended the Google Launchpad are saying they were told the October 15th date for Google's big announcement. Just in case you didn't know, Google Launchpad is a ”two-week boot camp for early stage start-ups helping with subjects including user interface, product strategy & technology, marketing, business development and more,” and is sponsored by Google for Entrepreneurs.

One thing worth noting is that even though we have seen numerous rumors suggesting an October 14 (and now 15th) launch date, there are some in the industry who do not believe it will come that soon. In fact, we have seen a good argument against that soon of a date, and that it will likely be later on in the month, if it does come in October. The main argument against such a soon launch date is that typically Google sends out press event announcements and invites 10 days ahead of time so journalists can prepare. The 15th is next Tuesday, and no press invites have been sent. If the Nexus 5 and KitKat are coming on the 15th, then either Google plans to have a surprise event, or they are doing a soft launch without an event. The later scenario seems unlikely.

What do you guys think? Will we have a surprise event on the 15th, or will Google actually hold the event later on in the month? Share your speculation.

Source: CNET

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My Nexus 7 can't wait. Wonder how long my Note 3 will have to wait. I has 4.3 so I'm not complaining much, but hey, I like having the latest and greatest =D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Hey hopefully the phone sells out in 5 minutes and then stays that way 99% of the time. Cause that was awesome. ;)

Asgard

Reaction score
Hey hopefully the phone sells out in 5 minutes and then stays that way 99% of the time. Cause that was awesome. ;)

It would be awesome for Google but it would be not awesome for me, it was almost impossible to me to be able to get a nexus 4 for my sister-in-law, had to constantly refresh the play store page when there were rumors about it being again on stock.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It would be awesome for Google but it would be not awesome for me, it was almost impossible to me to be able to get a nexus 4 for my sister-in-law, had to constantly refresh the play store page when there were rumors about it being again on stock.

Yea that was sarcasm!

djspy

Reaction score
I don't think they can go any "softer" than last year's Nexus launches. Nexus 4, 7 and 10 got the big reveal in a blog post.

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
i could see them doing a youtube only reveal. it would suck for those that like to go to these things, but it makes no difference to me. just take my money!

Iggy08

Reaction score
Sucks that I have to work, but I'm gonna be checking up on this all day