[RUMOR] Google to Sell Motorola Mobility to Huawei?

swc2001

Reaction score
Google wanted Motorola for it's patents. Now that they have the patents they can license (even for free) their patents to any manufacturer that is making an Android device (they can make money from licensing to other OS device makers). They can sell off MM and ease any fears from the other manufacturers about MM getting preferential treatment from Google/Android.
So what your saying is kind of a strip mining operation of one the best American companies we have left.
:mad: Gotcha!!

52brandon

Reaction score
So what your saying is kind of a strip mining operation of one the best American companies we have left.
:mad: Gotcha!!
"best" is subjective. Their hardware is quality, business practices? Not so much

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola Triumph:
triumph.jpg

Huawei X6:
x6.jpg

Hmmm...

:icon_ devil:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is sad!

Motorola has done so much for cell phones in its lifetime. The thought that it's going to be merged into Huawei is... oh lordy.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
wow. They sure look similar. The only huawei I handled was such a POS. I'm freaking shocked

From everything I've read/seen (was with Virgin Mobile for awhile), the Triumph is basically a rebranded X6. All that simply to show that Moto/Huawei have a relationship prior to now, even if it's a small one.

52brandon

Reaction score
From everything I've read/seen (was with Virgin Mobile for awhile), the Triumph is basically a rebranded X6. All that simply to show that Moto/Huawei have a relationship prior to now, even if it's a small one.
interesting. The huawei feels soooo different from every Moto I've handled. The Moto phones, while I dislike their software now, have always been extremely solid feeling

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I wonder if they will keep the motorola brand name. While motorola isn't perfect and they've made some bad decisions (cough*motoblur*cough) motorola has been my prefered brand for years. I read that Huawei made a phone that is thinner than the droid razr. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices It might be thinner but is the quality comparable to the droid razr and other motorola products. I was hoping google would release motorola phones with a user option to include or exclude motoblur. I'd love to see an official stock vanilla install on my droid 4 just to see if I prefer it to motoblur. At any rate google seems to love throwing us curve balls.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Buying MM was a mistake by Google. They should have just bought a controlling interest in the company and left it at that.

loki993

Reaction score
Wow way is coming out with a blazing fast Quad Core. Their not going to be a second rate competitor (at least not this year)

Huawei Unveils Quad-Core Ascend D Smartphones | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

And I still wouldn't buy it. They are not a manufacturer that I associate with quality. Make a super fast phone, but if its still a piece of junk it doesn't matter. Now I can understand that maybe their best stuff may not have been available here in the States, but if that's the case you have to prove to me that you have a quality product. I'm not going out and blind buying something from them like I would Motorola or HTC, just because its one of the fastest phones on the market. Plus what carrier is that coming to? Cricket wireless? One of the prepaids, no thanks. Although the prepaid route may be looking more and more enticing lately lol.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wonder if they will keep the motorola brand name. While motorola isn't perfect and they've made some bad decisions (cough*motoblur*cough) motorola has been my prefered brand for years. I read that Huawei made a phone that is thinner than the droid razr. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices It might be thinner but is the quality comparable to the droid razr and other motorola products. I was hoping google would release motorola phones with a user option to include or exclude motoblur. I'd love to see an official stock vanilla install on my droid 4 just to see if I prefer it to motoblur. At any rate google seems to love throwing us curve balls.

It's possible they'll keep it here in North America, and places where the Moto name is more recognizable then Huawei.

It should be noted that I think there have been phones (like the Triumph) that bare other names, but are manufactured by Huawei, or another company.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting. The huawei feels soooo different from every Moto I've handled. The Moto phones, while I dislike their software now, have always been extremely solid feeling

The Triumph doesn't exactly live up to normal Moto phone's standards, at least the Moto's I've owned... :)

52brandon

Reaction score
The Triumph doesn't exactly live up to normal Moto phone's standards, at least the Moto's I've owned... :)
lol, makes sense. Sounds like Moto subcontracted them to make a cheap phone... how a company Moto subcontracted is able to buy them is still confusing...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
lol, makes sense. Sounds like Moto subcontracted them to make a cheap phone... how a company Moto subcontracted is able to buy them is still confusing...

From what I've heard, haven't really checked to make sure, they're backed by the Chinese government which is why they can afford it. I figured Google would want to remain out of the manufacturing business. Don't want to piss off everyone else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2