Huawei Could Be the Next Nexus Smartphone Maker

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Yea me and the other 89,999,999 million ppl b/c they are the only one with service and/or b/c they bought and cornered the market... So what's your point? That it's my fault, just like it's my fault that Comcast monopolizes the TV industry or that Monsanto made the majority of the food you ate yesterday...

Yes, you and the other 90 million people bought into a technology that is not used by 99% of the world market. My point is that wherever I am in my travels my phone works flawlessly. I walk to a kiosk, purchase a $20 scratch card with a sim, slap it in my phone, and carry on. When I land back in the U.S. I revert back to my U.S. sim and don't ever have a worry.

Are you in an area that only has one carrier available? Unless you live in the boonies there is absolutely no reason to subscribe to any of the major carriers. A $45 per month Straight Talk, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, etc account would allow you to move around with your current phone as much as you want.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Yes, you and the other 90 million people bought into a technology that is not used by 99% of the world market. My point is that wherever I am in my travels my phone works flawlessly. I walk to a kiosk, purchase a $20 scratch card with a sim, slap it in my phone, and carry on. When I land back in the U.S. I revert back to my U.S. sim and don't ever have a worry.

Are you in an area that only has one carrier available? Unless you live in the boonies there is absolutely no reason to subscribe to any of the major carriers. A $45 per month Straight Talk, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, etc account would allow you to move around with your current phone as much as you want.

Dude you are missing the big picture! And Im guessing you live in a metropolis. Verizon and ATT literally bought their way to the top of the market, and in doing so forced millions of ppl to side with them whether they wanted to or not. Verizon bought the south/southeast region and some midwest when they bought Altel. Recently ATT bought Cricket in giving up Chicago I think, but thats one city. Now they have their finger nationwideR with Cricket. And they are all priced the same to not undercut one another b/c they are all friends. Why do you think they dont like Tmo, and used to laugh at them until they started poaching subscribers away...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I certainly wouldn't say they "bought" their way to the top. And they certainly didn't "force" anyone to use their service. They're at the top simply because they offer the fastest & widest coverage of any of their competitors.
If "buying your way to the top" includes consistently adding & updating their service/coverage, then yes, I suppose they did buy their way to the number 1 & 2 spots. But shouldn't that be SOP with ANY carrier?

S5 tap'n

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Dude you are missing the big picture! And Im guessing you live in a metropolis. Verizon and ATT literally bought their way to the top of the market, and in doing so forced millions of ppl to side with them whether they wanted to or not. Verizon bought the south/southeast region and some midwest when they bought Altel.

TLDR Version: Don't blame the companies, blame the market.

Verizon and AT&T buy spectrum not regions. The only people who can purchase regions for utilities are actual utilities and for some reason Fiber Optics (who, by the way, are worse than any solicitor who shows up at my house EVERY DAY!). Just because a company buys another company doesn't mean they 'purchase a region.' Correlation does not equal causation. By that logic, that would mean companies like Verizon and AT&T would try and buy companies like Bell and Rogers to try and take over the entire North America even though Bell and Rogers don't even technically own that region (Canada). Airwaves aren't designated to a region unless it is like you are living in the boonies and that is your only choice. Living in Missouri we did have 2 choices: Verizon and Sprint, but that also means we could use any Sprint MVNO like Boost. So we weren't limited to just VZW and Sprint we still had choice.

On to another point, if a company purchases the space and the towers for that reason...who cares? That is their choice. It is up to the competitors to also build towers and designate resources in those regions to stay competitive and MVNOs have to go ahead and turn to those towers to keep a low cost competitor. Why is it up to Verizon or anyone else for that matter to stop making money? That's capitalism and how it works. You are bound to have certain 'top dogs' in many sectors, like the Microsofts and the Comcasts. It is up to companies to try and remain innovative and offer better and competitive pricing to combat 'big corporations.' Heck, here in Florida CenturyLink is on the rise because Bright House is slowly turning into a joke and their speeds aren't as advertised. Vote with your wallet and even though the companies probably won't change, at least you as a consumer are happy.

By the way, mods. I hope this conversation is hitting on the too 'off topic' for this cause it is getting pretty heated. We might want to move this to another topic of discussion. Um....back to Huawei as Nexus? Good to see a small company rising up and being accepted into a big program like Nexus. ;):D

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dude you are missing the big picture! And Im guessing you live in a metropolis. Verizon and ATT literally bought their way to the top of the market, and in doing so forced millions of ppl to side with them whether they wanted to or not. Verizon bought the south/southeast region and some midwest when they bought Altel. Recently ATT bought Cricket in giving up Chicago I think, but thats one city. Now they have their finger nationwideR with Cricket. And they are all priced the same to not undercut one another b/c they are all friends. Why do you think they dont like Tmo, and used to laugh at them until they started poaching subscribers away...

I live in the South East and the list of cellular providers is as long as my arm. Even with television you don't have to use Comcast. There are satellite alternatives. But in the end this is all moot. You don't need cable, you don't need a cellphone.

On topic though I have to shake my head at Google for buying into a company whose country is laying down the law on American tech companies. Even if it is the best phone on the market that can wash my dishes and walk the dog I'm not touching it.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
On topic though I have to shake my head at Google for buying into a company whose country is laying down the law on American tech companies. Even if it is the best phone on the market that can wash my dishes and walk the dog I'm not touching it.

There is another side to that story though. All China is doing is trying to bolster their economic position. While I don't like it, it looks like they could force American companies to start looking at producing in America again.

It isn't like we haven't used and abused sketchy laws in China to force labor on the people that work in their factories. Not just in China, but China has the power to change it.

Not to mention all the hoopla about the claims they are creating back doors in their carrier gear and network infrastructure only to find out the US has been doing it for years to everyone else.

While overall I agree with you Ollie, it is bigger than just not buying their product.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All in all I'll say the same thing I said in the Huawei watch thread in they better make it good. Because the first time someone take their phone out of the package and something doesn't work or falls off you going to hear it. Take the Motorola and LG nexus glue issues from early in their releases and magnify it. Especially if someone has an issue exchanging their phone. Oh Google better oversee everything including distribution and warranties.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Oh Google better oversee everything including distribution and warranties.

This should be done from the very beginning. I know one cannot control EVERY aspect of the phone design. But they should be keeping good tabs on the process.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't take issue with our products being manufactured abroad. It's very apparent that American companies choose to continually produce their products with cheaper sweat shop factories instead of bringing those jobs to the U.S. at a higher cost to consumers.

What I do take issue with is that the Chinese now want their cake and eat it too. Something has to be done to show them that it has to be a two way street for commerce.

I would very much enjoy it if the U.S. increased import's tax to the point where it would be cheaper to manufactur at home.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I misspoke. After reading about the rules China is trying to impose, I must admit it is nothing short of atrocious.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I misspoke. After reading about the rules China is trying to impose, I must admit it is nothing short of atrocious.

With the extreme monetary overhead that companies tack onto their products they could easily manufacture in the U.S. and still sell their devices at the same price points that they do now and still pull a profit.

Huawei is not in my future.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Fair enough.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I live in the South East and the list of cellular providers is as long as my arm. Even with television you don't have to use Comcast. There are satellite alternatives. But in the end this is all moot. You don't need cable, you don't need a cellphone.

Yea see everyone doesnt have that luxury, you gotta remember that a Millions that only have two viable choices (blue or red) and you might as well choose red b/c of better coverage for basically the same price.

But hey if Goos actually does team up with them, just hope it's a something worth buying. Nexus 6 is a helluva phone, crazy big but nice lol. That's my only gripe with the current Nexus, the size. It's jus so cumbersome lol. The G3 is the best of both worlds b/c it has huge screen but its all screen no bezels. 6 inch is just pushing it too much. IMO!!

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I don't take issue with our products being manufactured abroad. It's very apparent that American companies choose to continually produce their products with cheaper sweat shop factories instead of bringing those jobs to the U.S. at a higher cost to consumers.

What I do take issue with is that the Chinese now want their cake and eat it too. Something has to be done to show them that it has to be a two way street for commerce.

I would very much enjoy it if the U.S. increased import's tax to the point where it would be cheaper to manufactur at home.

Yea but you gotta think IF this rumor is true, the nexus is gonna sell 5:1 them to us. Doesnt excuse sweat shops lol but jus saying idk...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You right and I agree but sadly the Moto X proved that to be difficult. A smartphone + wages+healthcare + vacation= more than what we want to pay for a smart phone. They have no unions over there that will slow down production because of a dispute (not that I am for or against unions), they can work people like a dog from sun up to sun down to make enough devices to meet demands (because you know how we react when a phone is delayed), and they can do all that for pennies on the dollar. No OT pay, no environmental laws, just what ever it takes to make enough devices to meet our demands while allowing the manufacturer to keep the retail price at a cost people will pay. Which people still see as 299 with a 2 yr contract. I personally would love to see more American manufactured devices. There is something that gets overlooked about American workers and that is our pride in our work. Because we are the same people who use the product and services as well as our friends and family so we like to let them know "I made that" . Because of that we make sure that we do a good job because we put our name to our work.