Huawei Could Be the Next Nexus Smartphone Maker

kinfolk248

Reaction score
That car metaphor really only works lately, now that all carriers use SIM cards. Previously, before LTE, Verizon and Sprint used CDMA networks with no SIM cards. AT&T and T-Mobile used GSM, which used SIM cards.

It was physically impossible to drive your BMW on another company's road when your BMW didn't have the proper tires. Now that they use SIM cards, it's a little less hairy, but the foundation of each carrier's flavor of LTE is still built on these different technologies, protocols, frequencies, etc.

Not that I don't get what you're saying, but it's less of an issue of carriers refusing to let a device on their network than it is a device not having the proper technology/radios/etc built into it for it to work properly on said network.

When cars get tested, they must meet a standard that says this cars meets criteria XYZ to make sure that they not only work, but work safely and well on all road. If each maker gets to pull whatever standard they want outta their #### then we have chaos and a lot of one dimensional phones. But whatever, when i get rich Im gonna stick it to all you little guys and start the cycle all over again lmaoooooooo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The only problem is if Google decides to leave vzw radios out of the nexus.. It'd be like the past few.. Will work but no LTE... I think that was the case.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When cars get tested, they must meet a standard that says this cars meets criteria XYZ to make sure that they not only work, but work safely and well on all road. If each maker gets to pull whatever standard they want outta their #### then we have chaos and a lot of one dimensional phones. But whatever, when i get rich Im gonna stick it to all you little guys and start the cycle all over again lmaoooooooo
GSM vs CDMA is more like diesel vs gasoline if you want to stick to your car analogy. Both work & work well, but not when you mix them.

Like I said, I get your point. I actually first became a t-mobile customer because I was on vzw & bought a phone on eBay, not realizing it wasn't compatible with the network. Had I not enjoyed my time with t-mobile, I might've been upset about that.

But, it's not like they lie about the fact that the 2 network types aren't fully compatible. The vzw guy was the one who told me I'd have to take that phone to a GSM carrier. This was a candy bar style dumb phone. The technologies have been in place since cell phones came into general use. It's not like they just decided to switch technologies to screw us over as far as what smartphone we could take where.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only problem is if Google decides to leave vzw radios out of the nexus.. It'd be like the past few.. Will work but no LTE... I think that was the case.

Think that was because they struggled badly with the galaxy nexus mainly because vzw would not cooperate. So literally they had to fight with them and their engineers to update their radio software which slowed updates for the galaxy nexus. Now we actually have a nexus where customers were able to walk in the Verizon store with a nexus from AT&T, Playstore, or Moto and have the phone work, Google can feel confident that unless vzw change their tech again that they have the necessary tools to pump out nexus phones that will work on vzw.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
GSM vs CDMA is more like diesel vs gasoline if you want to stick to your car analogy. Both work & work well, but not when you mix them.

Like I said, I get your point. I actually first became a t-mobile customer because I was on vzw & bought a phone on eBay, not realizing it wasn't compatible with the network. Had I not enjoyed my time with t-mobile, I might've been upset about that.

But, it's not like they lie about the fact that the 2 network types aren't fully compatible. The vzw guy was the one who told me I'd have to take that phone to a GSM carrier. This was a candy bar style dumb phone. The technologies have been in place since cell phones came into general use. It's not like they just decided to switch technologies to screw us over as far as what smartphone we could take where.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Exactly, been that way for years screwing ppl, you jus admitted they even got you lol. We are jus now starting to get some resolution to this. But like I said, it doesnt matter cus Im moving to Atlantis where we dont even need cell phones, we have telepathic projectors... Silly humans and your dated tech, doesnt even work with each other smh lol

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Won't matter in a few years. When the CDMA carriers are 100% LTE, they will shudder their 2G/3G networks. Sprint's spark upgrades use radios that support 2G/3G GSM. Will they use is for their 2G/3G networks? I don't know. But the capability is there.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The whole issue of carrier branded/locked devices is BSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Phones should be phones. Buy a phone then pick who you wanna subscribe to, plain and simple. Let me put it in my token hot wings and beer explanation. When you buy a car say a BMW, that car can drive on any street, any road, and patch of dirt. You dont buy a BMW then have BMW dictate to you that its only good on BMW roads. No, b/c tax $$$$ made ALL the roads for ALL cars. You dont buy a Ford then only can put Ford gas in it. When you buy a pc, you arent restricted to only Microsoft internet. When you buy that 4k tv, it isnt stuck with only working from a DirecTv signal. Same with cellular airways, tax money built and maintain those tower. Dont believe me, take a close look at your bill and investigate what those surcharges and regulatory charges actually mean.

Ranting I know, but this do what we tell you, how we tell you, when we tell you crap from these conglomerate companies has to end!! And oh god dont start me on auto insurance lmaoooo

I drive my phones on all kinds of roads all over the world. Sounds to me like you need a better car salesman.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Did you read this before you posted...?

Sure did. Did you sign up with a carrier that uses proprietary network technology that no one else in the world uses?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Sure did. Did you sign up with a carrier that uses proprietary network technology that no one else in the world uses?

Yea me and the other 89,999,999 million ppl b/c they are the only one with service and/or b/c they bought and cornered the market... So what's your point? That it's my fault, just like it's my fault that Comcast monopolizes the TV industry or that Monsanto made the majority of the food you ate yesterday...

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Yea me and the other 89,999,999 million ppl b/c they are the only one with service and/or b/c they bought and cornered the market... So what's your point? That it's my fault, just like it's my fault that Comcast monopolizes the TV industry or that Monsanto made the majority of the food you ate yesterday...

Monsanto provided means of GMO cropping to farmers to combat food shortage and patented it. Nothing wrong with that it's actually super common (Sony Bluray tech). Comcast...you got me there though they are not a true monopoly. You can always choose to go DirectTv or Verizon FiOS but it's like the Mac vs PC argument; the market chooses and the companies obey.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Monsanto provided means of GMO cropping to farmers to combat food shortage and patented it. Nothing wrong with that it's actually super common (Sony Bluray tech). Comcast...you got me there though they are not a true monopoly. You can always choose to go DirectTv or Verizon FiOS but it's like the Mac vs PC argument; the market chooses and the companies obey.

Tell that to anyone trying to farm on a commercial level and do it WITHOUT Monsanto influence...
lol Comcast smh, I just REALLY dislike the monopoly system here in the US and how legislation is literally bought and lets it slide. I mean Cambodia has cheaper faster internet than us, maybe not Cambodia but you get the idea lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tell that to anyone trying to farm on a commercial level and do it WITHOUT Monsanto influence...
lol Comcast smh, I just REALLY dislike the monopoly system here in the US and how legislation is literally bought and lets it slide. I mean Cambodia has cheaper faster internet than us, maybe not Cambodia but you get the idea lol
Do the rest of the world really have better Internet than us?
Cheaper yes, but better?
When you take in account quality, availability, and censorship I am curious how many?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Do the rest of the world really have better Internet than us?
Cheaper yes, but better?
When you take in account quality, availability, and censorship I am curious how many?
the number would be higher than expected...