Rooting "NOT" against warrenty?

bfederspill

Reaction score
I was having problems with my D2G lately so I've been calling tech reps for the last few days. I asked him if GB was coming for our phone (again) and his answer supprised me. He said that running GB on a D2G wouldn't be all that good and asked me if I knew about "rooting"? I was kind of caught off guard and said that I've read about it but thought it voids the warr. He said that no it doesn't because your only improving not totaly changing the phone (thats when he mentioned SPF'ing back to stock). He said that the only thing they frown on is "overclocking" because it burns up the phone quicker. He even suggested getting Titanium Backup to freeze the blotware. Strangest call I've ever had with a Verizon tech rep.

So, Root and Rom to your hearts content (just don't overclock)? :)

simpsonao17

Reaction score
This can't be true though. I thought they frown on rooting period

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Although many representatives root their personal devices, VZW as a wireless carrier does frown upon rooting your device and it does void your warranty. You can't believe what they tell you, because about 50% of the time, they're wrong.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was having problems with my D2G lately so I've been calling tech reps for the last few days. I asked him if GB was coming for our phone (again) and his answer supprised me. He said that running GB on a D2G wouldn't be all that good and asked me if I knew about "rooting"? I was kind of caught off guard and said that I've read about it but thought it voids the warr. He said that no it doesn't because your only improving not totaly changing the phone (thats when he mentioned SPF'ing back to stock). He said that the only thing they frown on is "overclocking" because it burns up the phone quicker. He even suggested getting Titanium Backup to freeze the blotware. Strangest call I've ever had with a Verizon tech rep.

So, Root and Rom to your hearts content (just don't overclock)? :)

That! My friend is against company policy I know this for a fact..trust me when I say this..Rooting voids warranty..if they catch you that is..as long as you don't volunteer the info your fine..and don't take it up there and hand it to them..lol he was either trying to reel you in..or doesn't care about his job..lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
B

bfederspill

Reaction score
He seemed pretty sincere, we talked for about 30 minutes about different things about the d2g and droid 3 (which he says is great). He also mentioned about never leaving your phone charging all night, bad for the phone. And no longer than 20 or 30 minutes on a car charger. He was trying to reel me or set me up he did a damn good job. This is just my experience though, just thought I'd pass it on.

Sent from my "rooted" Droid 2 Global.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
He seemed pretty sincere, we talked for about 30 minutes about different things about the d2g and droid 3 (which he says is great). He also mentioned about never leaving your phone charging all night, bad for the phone. And no longer than 20 or 30 minutes on a car charger. He was trying to reel me or set me up he did a damn good job. This is just my experience though, just thought I'd pass it on.

Well, I can only suggest, sticking to your guns brother..take the info they give, and never let them know you've rooted..You may have just gotten a cool dude that really didn't care much about the policy..if anything..when going through an exchange of devices due to a hardware issue, still tell them you don't root..lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
B

bfederspill

Reaction score
I would never tell them that I've rooted. Just nice to know that deep down tech reps are on our side.

slimpirudude

Reaction score
I always charge my phone all night... why is this so bad?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
B

bfederspill

Reaction score
The rep said that this phone has a problem with stopping the charger when its charged. That's why you get that message to unplug your phone from the charger when it is full. I always thought it was a conserve energy message? As soon as it is fully charged unplug it and wait till it's almost dead before recharging it.

tennvol

Reaction score
He is wrong, flat out wrong

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

FLE

Reaction score
They are correct rooting will void your warranty. Why that tech told you it was ok to root I do not know. Rooting is no diffrent than flashing your BIOS, you do it at your own risk and if an error happens during it you are on the hook not the programmer. Rooting phones can make them do some really cool things. But to me it is not worth the risk. If someone else is willing to spin the wheel let them. If you are rooting then you know the risk VS the rewards.

Reaction score
Guys. The federal courts have ruled that rooting is reasonable use and cannot void your warranty. HOWEVER, the things you DO with root privileges CAN void your warranty.

OP
B

bfederspill

Reaction score
I say no more on this subject. Everybody go back to what you feel is right with your own phone. There was a lot of good feedback on this subject. Sorry to ruffle some feathers. :) I'd like to close this thread now..