Rooted Tbolt OTA update issues

silverdragon76

Reaction score
ok, so since I rooted my Tbolt, I am not using any custom ROMs yet because I don't know which one to get. I have heard issues with the GingerJane ROM.

On to the point. The last couple of days I have woken up to find my phone locked with an exclamation point and an android dude standing beside it. The only way I can use my phone is to remove the battery, restart into root and then re-flash my backed up ROM, then re-install all of my programs, just to have it done again the next morning. This is the third time.

I keep getting a screen prompt saying system update and I cancel the prompt. All was working fine rooted stock until several days ago. I assume it is the OTA update flashing overnight then restarting into this issue.

I have been told to go into /etc/security and rename the otacerts.zip file to otacerts.zip.bak to fix the issue, but the first several times I tried I was told it was a system file and could not be renamed.

Update: As I was writing this I looked at the directory structure to make sure I had the right one. Well this time it let me change it no problem, which I assume will solve my issues. Will let you know how this goes.

Meanwhile, any suggestions as to what a good ROM is that I can use? I tried CY7, and I guess I don't have the right radio or something because I couldn't even get a phone signal. How can I tell which one I have, and which one I should use? will post this in another section as well.

Thanks

wolfpackdl90

Reaction score
let me know if the otacerts.zip being rename fixes your issue, because i am stock rooted (and dont want to have to deal with that issue), and happy with it for now....don't need to flash another rom at the moment.....also, what update are you getting now? the last update i received or heard about was the one in july....are they already pushing the gingerbread update?

RevosFTS

Reaction score
ok, so since I rooted my Tbolt, I am not using any custom ROMs yet because I don't know which one to get. I have heard issues with the GingerJane ROM.

On to the point. The last couple of days I have woken up to find my phone locked with an exclamation point and an android dude standing beside it. The only way I can use my phone is to remove the battery, restart into root and then re-flash my backed up ROM, then re-install all of my programs, just to have it done again the next morning. This is the third time.

I keep getting a screen prompt saying system update and I cancel the prompt. All was working fine rooted stock until several days ago. I assume it is the OTA update flashing overnight then restarting into this issue.

I have been told to go into /etc/security and rename the otacerts.zip file to otacerts.zip.bak to fix the issue, but the first several times I tried I was told it was a system file and could not be renamed.

Update: As I was writing this I looked at the directory structure to make sure I had the right one. Well this time it let me change it no problem, which I assume will solve my issues. Will let you know how this goes.

Meanwhile, any suggestions as to what a good ROM is that I can use? I tried CY7, and I guess I don't have the right radio or something because I couldn't even get a phone signal. How can I tell which one I have, and which one I should use? will post this in another section as well.

Thanks

For cm7 type roms you need to flash at least an mr2 radio. The official mr2 release is safest. CHECK YOUR MD5 SUMS!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt running Das Bamf Sense 3!?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Do a bit of reading and then upgrade your radio.

Then give Das Bamf "Side Project 2.4" a try. I think you will be very pleased! Of course it is a gingerbread rom.

If you need links let me know.

OP
S

silverdragon76

Reaction score
let me know if the otacerts.zip being rename fixes your issue, because i am stock rooted (and dont want to have to deal with that issue), and happy with it for now....don't need to flash another rom at the moment.....also, what update are you getting now? the last update i received or heard about was the one in july....are they already pushing the gingerbread update?

Well I thought that was the fix, but unfortunately when I got off of work today, I saw that there was a question about that darn update again, so no I don't think my renaming the otacerts.zip fixed anything. Think I may be getting that Das Bamf ROM and flashing my radio. Anyone know if I can save my old radio before flashing a new one, just in case I have to revert to stock?

Thanks

wolfpackdl90

Reaction score
you should always make a nandroid backup before you flash a new rom, and if you need to revert back to stock/un-root there are a lot of guides for that on the forum, i havent used them though.....

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
If your a fan of sense 3.0 get synergy ROM. It looks great and is very fast. Personally I LOVE sense so this ROM was perfect for me. Also overclocked at 1.5ghz

sent from my HTC INFECTED Synergy Bolt using DroidForums

recDNA

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity....why does the ota mess up a rooted phone that is running the stock rom?

RevosFTS

Reaction score
If your a fan of sense 3.0 get synergy ROM. It looks great and is very fast. Personally I LOVE sense so this ROM was perfect for me. Also overclocked at 1.5ghz

sent from my HTC INFECTED Synergy Bolt using DroidForums

+1

Sent from my Thunderbolt running ShiftAO5P...