Rooted Droid & System Updates

undergrace

Reaction score
Quick question everyone. I rooted my husbands Droid 1 awhile back. He does not want a custom rom.

It's running Froyo 2.2/ FRG22D

My problem is that every single day it keeps bugging him to do a system update. I tried just letting it install but it will go away for a day or so and then come right back.

I finally just decided to delete the otaupdater.zip from the system folder...

Will this screw anything up? Should it work? If not, is there ANY way to get the update crap to go away, it's draining his battery and annoying the heck out of him...

Thanks!

dasanman69

Reaction score
You can do what I did. Accept the update and reroot the phone. I used superoneclick found over at xda-developers.com. Will probably be easier if you unrooted first, update, and then root.

OP
U

undergrace

Reaction score
You can do what I did. Accept the update and reroot the phone. I used superoneclick found over at xda-developers.com. Will probably be easier if you unrooted first, update, and then root.

Well I have tried accepting the update and it will restart and ACT like its updated for a few hours then prompt him again(this was before I deleted the otaupdate file located in system/etc/security). So my guess is that the Clockwork mod recovery is blocking the update. I've also tried it with sprecovery and it blocks it too.

Anyway, so far since yesterday he has not been prompted to update, so deleting the otaupdater.zip must have worked. I'll keep it posted in this thread if it worked & had no ill side effects.

Thanks!

OP
U

undergrace

Reaction score
Update!

So here is the update. It has NOT prompted for an update every since I deleted the otaupdater.zip out of system/etc/security folder(using rootexplorer). So it appears that deleting this file fixes the problem of the update nags for rooted Motorola droids running froyo:)