Droid wont do system update

jtinlai14

Reaction score
My droid will get the system update notification every week, but when i restart and install the progress bar gets halfway and then the warning sign pops up and it stops the download and doesn't go again. I take out the battery and check the phone and it says the system is currently up to date. Android version 2.2. But a week later the system update notification comes back up please help. Thank you

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My droid will get the system update notification every week, but when i restart and install the progress bar gets halfway and then the warning sign pops up and it stops the download and doesn't go again. I take out the battery and check the phone and it says the system is currently up to date. Android version 2.2. But a week later the system update notification comes back up please help. Thank you

What type of Droid do you have, and are you rooted?

OP
J

jtinlai14

Reaction score
Its the first droid, and how do i know if my phone is rooted or not?
Thanks

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well did you root your phone, or didn't you?

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my D2G

mr_silent

Reaction score
Try this: when the warning screen comes on press volume up and camera buttons at the same time. It should bring up the recovery screen. If it does, use the dpad to select "apply" update, if it doesn't work it should at least tell what errors are preventing the update specifically.

Another thing you can try is check motorolas website to manually do the update. You'll need a pc to connect and you'll have to install the drivers, but it might help troubleshooting the problem.
Sent from my Milestone 1 using Droid Forums app

OP
J

jtinlai14

Reaction score
ok when i get to the recovery screen and apply update it says," E: failed to open/sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Here ya go!

Ok, here is the update.zip so you can copy and do as instructed in previous posts.

If it still will not install it properly, your gonna have to go thru the whole wipe menu.

With Phone "OFF" hold the "X" key and press power to get into recovery options. Select each of these and press the "gold" center key on D-Pad:

Wipe Baseband
Wipe Cache
Wipe Data/Factory Reset

Once it is done, Turn phone off and go back into recovery. Then Select:

Apply: update.zip

Reboot phone, and once inside..."SKIP" all the activation screens.

Go to Apps drawer = SETTINGS - PRIVACY - Factory reset.

Once all that is done, start setting your phone back up! ;)

Hope this Helps!!

OP
J

jtinlai14

Reaction score
is that my last option i really dont want to do a factory reset

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, if you cannot get the update.zip to install as instructed through the recovery menu, then yes the next step is wipe and update. And if still it won't update then your gonna have to flash and update. It sounds like it was rooted and modified to stop the OTA's from installing. But. Yea. Just try the download and load to your sdcard. Go into recovery mode. Hold "X" and press power. Then select with D-Pad, install: update.zip

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
jtinlai14,
Did yhis work for you? It appears I'm having the same issue and I'm going to try the suggestions when I get home.

Last edited:
OP
J

jtinlai14

Reaction score
doing the factory reset did not work for me, but i will have to try the going into recovery mode and holding x when i get the system update again.

praw0jazdy

Reaction score
yeah, i did the facotry reset a couple of times. Tonight I'm going to do the previously mentioned wipe on her phone and see what happens.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Did you try?

Hello!

Did either of you download the update.zip i had posted on here, before you actually went to the trouble of Factory resetting? it doesn't appear that either of you did and just skipped straight to Factory Reset??