Rooted droid boot problems

ogbobby4

Reaction score
im having the same problem here but i was going from petes pure stock rooted 2.1 droid to froyo 2.2 and i wipe my data then booted up into rsd lite and downloaded sprecovery that way. restore when i noticed the sprecovery wasnt working right. and the restore wasnt even full. yeah i still had alot of my apps not all of them i had apps that i had unistalled a while back my ese81 theme wasnt on there and it also seems i lost my chevy kernel.

know its a handful but i dont know what to do should i redownload sprecovery.

and sry for the pargraph long sentences i like math

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok can anyone else help me out?

Read through the 3rd link in my signature. There is a bunch of good info in that thread. Most problems encountered are covered there.

im having the same problem here but i was going from petes pure stock rooted 2.1 droid to froyo 2.2 and i wipe my data then booted up into rsd lite and downloaded sprecovery that way. restore when i noticed the sprecovery wasnt working right. and the restore wasnt even full. yeah i still had alot of my apps not all of them i had apps that i had unistalled a while back my ese81 theme wasnt on there and it also seems i lost my chevy kernel.

know its a handful but i dont know what to do should i redownload sprecovery.

and sry for the pargraph long sentences i like math

You've got me confused. I think this is what you want to do
1) you have Pete's 2.1 stock rom.
2) you used RSD Lite to get to step 1 so that is already installed and functional
3) you need sprecovery. You flash that into place.
4) you then back up your current install incase something goes wrong. You use SPRecovery to do so.
5) You wipe all your data and cache.
6) You install the rom of your choice, which looks like it is "even more froyo".

When you install a new rom you get whatever kernel comes with it. You can proceed to install a different kernel if you want, but you've wiped all your data to get the new rom installed. The previous kernel gets flushed with the rom.

Your apps are supposed to come back from the market in time. This doesn't seem to work for everyone everytime, including me. Or maybe I'm just not patient enough. Astro is a free method of backing up all your install programs so you don't have to remember what you had nor have to go to the market to install each one. There are paid apps in the market that backup your apps as well. Finally, some roms have built in backup tools, but I imagine that's only good when moving from one version of that rom to another (though I may be mistaken).

If your nandroid restore was not complete then perhaps your backup wasn't complete. I have yet to hear of SPRecovery only doing a partial restore and having the rom be functional. I imagine your reinstall of SPRecovery probably did not help.

It sounds like you wiped all your data and did not make a backup before installing the new rom. If your setup is truly messed up then you can use an update.zip or an sbf file to get back to stock, take the upgrade to 2.1 and then start over only this time making backups. It may be just as easy going back into the market and regrabbing the apps you don't have. Going back to stock means you may have to grab them anyways if the market doesn't auto-download them for you.

ogbobby4

Reaction score
I made a simple nandroid backup right before and if I use the sbf file to get back sprecovery does that delete everything in the ram

Thx in advance

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I made a simple nandroid backup right before and if I use the sbf file to get back sprecovery does that delete everything in the ram

Thx in advance

SPRecovery is one of the boot-recovery apps available that can replace the the stock recovery tool that can be accessed while booting up the phone. It is used to "recover" the phone and in doing so the replacement ones can replace the stock recovery rom with rooted and non-rooted roms that are not stock ones.

Installing SPRecovery only replaces that stock tool. It does not replace your stock rom, Replacing it also will not replace whatever rom is on your phone. Nothing on your card, where your backups are stored, gets touched in any of the rooting, sbf flashing, rom installing processes.