clover408

Reaction score
How do we root it?

Sent from my original DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Redalert

Reaction score
How do we root it?

Sent from my original DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Go to the link and download the zip. Unpack on desktop have the phone in USB debug mode. Click the bat file.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Sweet. I need more information prior to rooting. Not sure what does work if you root vs what doesn't work if you root. I will keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

Is there a thread somewhere that explains what rooting is and its benefits and disadvantages?

I might wait for mattlgroff to release a tool to update his DroidRazr Utility.

The instructions on the thread the OP posted aren't totally clear. I get lost on freezing Smart Actions. I haven't started the process yet and will wait a couple days before doing so.

Redalert

Reaction score
Smart actions has to run. He's saying don't freeze it and if its frozen un freeze. Having root. Plus titanium gives you the option to freeze apps.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Sweet. I need more information prior to rooting. Not sure what does work if you root vs what doesn't work if you root. I will keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

Is there a thread somewhere that explains what rooting is and its benefits and disadvantages?

I might wait for mattlgroff to release a tool to update his DroidRazr Utility.

The instructions on the thread the OP posted aren't totally clear. I get lost on freezing Smart Actions. I haven't started the process yet and will wait a couple days before doing so.

This method is almost as easy as using Matt's utility. The only extra step seems to be going into smart actions and checking the battery saver option and saving after the first reboot. I tried this lastnight and failed the first 3-4 times. I did and FDR and everything worked perfectly so keep that in mind if you decide to do this.

My BIGGEST reason for rooting would be.......FREE WIFI TETHER! :icon_ banana:. Of course there are custom Roms you could flash as well which I have flashed quite a few before but found none actually worked out for me. A lot of them have stuff to in theory give you some awesome battery life but in the end IMO the stock Rom gives me the best.

Redalert

Reaction score
This method is almost as easy as using Matt's utility. The only extra step seems to be going into smart actions and checking the battery saver option and saving after the first reboot. I tried this lastnight and failed the first 3-4 times. I did and FDR and everything worked perfectly so keep that in mind if you decide to do this.

My BIGGEST reason for rooting would be.......FREE WIFI TETHER! :icon_ banana:. Of course there are custom Roms you could flash as well which I have flashed quite a few before but found none actually worked out for me. A lot of them have stuff to in theory give you some awesome battery life but in the end IMO the stock Rom gives me the best.

Same as me my friend. Free WiFi tether woot. Woot.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing this right now but it seems that there are too many questions. I have one, and that is I don't know how to check to see if I'm in mass storage mode or not. I'll wait on the process. I'm a bit noobish when it comes to Android.

Redalert

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing this right now but it seems that there are too many questions. I have one, and that is I don't know how to check to see if I'm in mass storage mode or not. I'll wait on the process. I'm a bit noobish when it comes to Android.

Its a easy process. I've rooted before so ask and I can help. Plug or phone into PC. Then pull down notification tray and tap on the connection type and put into MTP mode

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Its a easy process. I've rooted before so ask and I can help. Plug or phone into PC. Then pull down notification tray and tap on the connection type and put into MTP mode
How does the general user experience change when you root? Or, does it? I'm referring to calling/texting/other apps/widgets. If I root, can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM? What's MTP mode?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well folks, it works!! I have root again! :icon_ banana:

One thing...it LOOKED LIKE it failed, but it didn't fail. The specifics were that while running the exploit, it displayed the following:

[*]

[*]
RazrBlade:MotorolaDroidRazr4.1RootExploit(Windows version)

[*]
byDanRosenberg(@djrbliss)

[*]

[*]
Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.

[*]

[*]
Note:this will not work on Razr HD,Razr M, etc.

[*]

[*]
Before continuing,ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you

[*]
have the latest Motorola drivers installed,and that your phone

[*]
is connected via USB.

[*]

[*]
Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.

[*]

[*]
Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue...

[*]

[*]
Waitingfor device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

[*]
Device found.

[*]
Phase one...

[*]
Rebooting device...

[*]
Waitingfor phone to reboot.

[*]
Phase two...

[*]
Complete the following steps on your device:

[*]
1.Open the SmartActions application.

[*]
2.Select"Get Started".

[*]
3.Select"Battery Saver".

[*]
4.Select"Save".

[*]
5.Press the Home button.

[*]

[*]
Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
Press any key to continue...
217 KB/s (0 bytes in3477.000s)

[*]
Rebooting device...

[*]

[*]
Phase three (this will take a minute)...

[*]
Rebooting device...

[*]

[*]
Phase four...
1916 KB/s (0 bytes in91992.000s)
2431 KB/s (0 bytes in1867568.000s)
2392 KB/s (0 bytes in574184.000s)
1994 KB/s (0 bytes in63838.000s)

[*]
Cleaning up...

The reason I thought it had failed is that every time it tried to write, it showed 0 bytes. Strangely enough at the end, while the "Cleaning up..." was still on the screen, my phone kept waking and going back to sleep every 10 seconds or so. So I picked up the phone and hit the Power button, and to my surprise was SuperSU asking if I would Grant Root access to ADB shell! So, I've confirmed root with Root Checker! Now to do the tether hack and I'll be able to give my new tablet internet access!

YAY!:icon_ banana:

Great find The Stig 04!

I'm going to implement this into my http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...lly-bean-leak-classroom-w-mattyp-friends.html so that it will be complete. Also, anyone who benefits from this exploit, as well as from Matt L Groff's Droid RAZR Utility, you should consider buying them a beer or three!

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat. Can't wait to see how you implement this into your other thread. Wish I knew I needed root before going to JB but that's life. Your tutorial for that seemed very easy to follow, but I saw no need for it at the time for me. :Sigh: (Sarcasm) I love how some people write out instructions around here and assume we're all very savvy with each iteration of Android OS. You make it easy. Love it. Thanks. I'll await your update.

Redalert

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat. Can't wait to see how you implement this into your other thread. Wish I knew I needed root before going to JB but that's life. Your tutorial for that seemed very easy to follow, but I saw no need for it at the time for me. :Sigh: (Sarcasm) I love how some people write out instructions around here and assume we're all very savvy with each iteration of Android OS. You make it easy. Love it. Thanks. I'll await your update.

I had no issues with this install and the set up. Uninstall updates to smart actions. Put smart actions in batt save mode. Made sure my drivers were correct. Took it of mass storage. Click the .bat file. It went through its thing. Hit enter to finish. And root was there. DL titanium and WiFi tether tested both. Shutdown phone cleared cache. All smooth.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I had no issues with this install and the set up. Uninstall updates to smart actions. Put smart actions in batt save mode. Made sure my drivers were correct. Took it of mass storage. Click the .bat file. It went through its thing. Hit enter to finish. And root was there. DL titanium and WiFi tether tested both. Shutdown phone cleared cache. All smooth.
OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

Does that make sense?