Root for Jelly Bean is here!!!!!!

andy.moto

Reaction score
It sounds like you are trying to use the utility to restore root rather than the one to root. I mean that's the msg I got anyway when I tried using Matt's utility to restore root. I never protected root and I remember that msg coming up.

The Stig,
I had rooted the 4.0.4 before I upgraded to Jellybean.
What should I do now? Please suggest.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
The Stig,
I had rooted the 4.0.4 before I upgraded to Jellybean.
What should I do now? Please suggest.

You could do it one of three ways. Third one probably being the easiest.

1st install voodoo from Matt's utility 1.81, then using that protect your root, flash jelly bean, restore root with voodoo. If you still don't have root after restoring go into your superuser app scroll left and update the binaries. Or I think you could use another utility Matt created that helps restore root.

2nd. (method I did just to see what would happen) you could just flash jelly bean which in turn gives you I guess a half rooted phone? The superuser app will be there but you won't have root permissions. Go to the link at the start of the thread and follow those steps to root using that utility.

3rd. Go back to stock ICS using Matt's 1.81 utility, flash jelly bean then use the utility in the link to root again.

I know these are very undetailed steps but I'm going to work right now Lol let me know if you need anymore help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

andy.moto

Reaction score
You could do it one of three ways. Third one probably being the easiest.

1st install voodoo from Matt's utility 1.81, then using that protect your root, flash jelly bean, restore root with voodoo. If you still don't have root after restoring go into your superuser app scroll left and update the binaries. Or I think you could use another utility Matt created that helps restore root.

2nd. (method I did just to see what would happen) you could just flash jelly bean which in turn gives you I guess a half rooted phone? The superuser app will be there but you won't have root permissions. Go to the link at the start of the thread and follow those steps to root using that utility.

3rd. Go back to stock ICS using Matt's 1.81 utility, flash jelly bean then use the utility in the link to root again.

I know these are very undetailed steps but I'm going to work right now Lol let me know if you need anymore help.

The Stig, I need your help!

So here's what I did:
Had the 4.0.4 Verizon (XT912)
Rooted it, used it for months until jellybean leak came out.
Then installed it thinking that the root will stay, but it didnt.
Now, the phone is rootless.

I tried to root using Mattlgroff's root fixer, SuperSU asked for the ADB permissions on my phone, but then nothing happened.

Now, Sunday afternoon, I did all the same things on my friend's XT912.
But this time, using Voodoo Root Keeper, I protected the root in 4.0.4 and then flashed to 4.1.2.
And then Mattlgroff's root fixer worked smoothly.

I am pretty sure one cannot go back to ICS after upgrading to JellyBean. If there a way?
Please direct on this matter.

Thanks.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The Stig, I need your help!

So here's what I did:
Had the 4.0.4 Verizon (XT912)
Rooted it, used it for months until jellybean leak came out.
Then installed it thinking that the root will stay, but it didnt.
Now, the phone is rootless.

I tried to root using Mattlgroff's root fixer, SuperSU asked for the ADB permissions on my phone, but then nothing happened.

Now, Sunday afternoon, I did all the same things on my friend's XT912.
But this time, using Voodoo Root Keeper, I protected the root in 4.0.4 and then flashed to 4.1.2.
And then Mattlgroff's root fixer worked smoothly.

I am pretty sure one cannot go back to ICS after upgrading to JellyBean. If there a way?
Please direct on this matter.

Thanks.

You are correct there is no way to go back to ICS. I did the very same thing you did. Upgraded to JB and never protected root. Superuser APK was still there but I did not have any root permissions. Don't panic though lol do an FDR which will give you a clean JB slate, then root using the utility in the link on the first post and follow those directions and you will have root again.

andy.moto

Reaction score
You are correct there is no way to go back to ICS. I did the very same thing you did. Upgraded to JB and never protected root. Superuser APK was still there but I did not have any root permissions. Don't panic though lol do an FDR which will give you a clean JB slate, then root using the utility in the link on the first post and follow those directions and you will have root again.

I just FDR'ed my phone, but didn't loose the root.
Will I still be able to root? Just asking.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just FDR'ed my phone, but didn't loose the root.
Will I still be able to root? Just asking.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. If you're rooted there should be no reason to re-root again. Are you on ICS still? or are you on JB?

If you're still on ICS then it depends on the way you install JB that will determine if you keep root or not. If you do lose root in the process of installing JB then it can go one of two ways. You protected root with voodoo then it should be just a matter of updating your binaries. If you didn't protect root before installing JB then use the Utility in the link in the first post to regain root.

Last edited:

andy.moto

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what your asking. If you're rooted there should be no reason to re-root again. Are you on ICS still? or are you on JB?

If you're still on ICS then it depends on the way you install JB that will determine if you keep root or not. If you do lose root in the process of installing JB then it can go one of two ways. You protected root with voodoo then it should be just a matter of updating your binaries. If you didn't protect root before installing JB then use the Utility in the link in the first post to regain root.

Lol!
I was on rooted ICS. Upgraded to JB without protecting the root.
Now I cannot get the root back. Even this link in the first post is not working for me.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lol!
I was on rooted ICS. Upgraded to JB without protecting the root.
Now I cannot get the root back. Even this link in the first post is not working for me.

Yeah that happened to me about 4-5 times. Is it giving you some sort of error message? Remember you can't have any apps disabled and Smart Actions has to be stock or virgin lol in otherwords if you have it set up clear the cache and retry. If all else fails FDR.

andy.moto

Reaction score
Yeah that happened to me about 4-5 times. Is it giving you some sort of error message? Remember you can't have any apps disabled and Smart Actions has to be stock or virgin lol in otherwords if you have it set up clear the cache and retry. If all else fails FDR.

Haha!
Already FDR'ed. Still didn't work.
There's no error message, it shows su-backup not found, and nothing happens after that.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Haha!
Already FDR'ed. Still didn't work.
There's no error message, it shows su-backup not found, and nothing happens after that.

Hey sorry! tapatalk for some reason didn't notify me when you replied to the post! Hopefully by now you're rooted but if not. Use the link in the first post. Make sure you put your phone to "MTP" I think it is when you plugged your phone in and also that you have USB debugging on. Then run the utility and follow the instructions as it goes on.

andy.moto

Reaction score
Hey sorry! tapatalk for some reason didn't notify me when you replied to the post! Hopefully by now you're rooted but if not. Use the link in the first post. Make sure you put your phone to "MTP" I think it is when you plugged your phone in and also that you have USB debugging on. Then run the utility and follow the instructions as it goes on.

Still no success. Lol! I think I'll have to live life unrooted from now on! :(

Redsnk95

Reaction score
So the razr blade method works on the latest JB official update?

Nevermind, saw in the droidrzr thread that it does.