Root for Jelly Bean is here!!!!!!

Redalert

Reaction score
OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

Does that make sense?

Josh, I can give you a step by step of what I did. If u want? I just have to log onto my PC later to type it out, easier for me.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK, if you asked me to do this to a Windows PC, I'd be all over that, but on Android??? I'm not so good with fine motor skills and do much better with a keyboard/mouse. Keyboard taps, I'm not as savvy with and I don't know the ins and outs of Android like a do a Windows PC. See what I'm getting at? I had no problems updating to Jelly Bean with the instructions on Droid Life but then again, it doesn't require to jump through more difficult hoops like this rooting process seemingly does.

Now if you told me HOW to uninstall updates to Smart Actions, what version number of Smart Actions (if that even applies??) I should be seeing and how to put Smart Actions on battery saving mode, and how to take off mass storage mode (couldn't find it), that's what I need to know. I've figured out USB Debugging mode, but again, not being very Android savvy and more Windows PC savvy, it'd take me some time to find again.

Does that make sense?
To uninstall updates go to menu>system settings>apps>all and look for SmartActions. Select Smart Actions and press "Uninstall updates...that's it. To get to battery savings mode, open SmartActions by pressing its icon in your apps drawer. I don't remember exactly how to select battery saving mode but it can't be difficult...just look for it. When you plug your phone into your PC with the factory provided USB cable, and with USB Debugging selected, pull down your notifications bar on the phone and select USB connections then select Media device (MTP). You mentioned earlier "can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM?" If you root DO NOT delete any pre-installed app!! If you download an app like Titanium Backup you can freeze the app, but you don't want to delete any pre-installed app that you could not delete from a stock configuration (there are a few apps that came with the phone that you can uninstall without root and it is ok to delete them, but only them). If you uninstall a pre-installed app that required root to uninstall then you're going to have a problem getting an OTA update when the time comes. Keep in mind that rooting your phone does nothing...it won't run faster, smoother, use less battery, be more sexy, run better or anything like that. Root allows you access to settings and functions that you normally do not have in a stock configuration. Root also allows you to install and run customized ROMs and some apps that require root access.

Redalert

Reaction score
To uninstall updates go to menu>system settings>apps>all and look for SmartActions. Select Smart Actions and press "Uninstall updates...that's it. To get to battery savings mode, open SmartActions by pressing its icon in your apps drawer. I don't remember exactly how to select battery saving mode but it can't be difficult...just look for it. When you plug your phone into your PC with the factory provided USB cable, and with USB Debugging selected, pull down your notifications bar on the phone and select USB connections then select Media device (MTP). You mentioned earlier "can I get rid of pre-installed apps or does that require a whole different ROM?" If you root DO NOT delete any pre-installed app!! If you download an app like Titanium Backup you can freeze the app, but you don't want to delete any pre-installed app that you could not delete from a stock configuration (there are a few apps that came with the phone that you can uninstall without root and it is ok to delete them, but only them). If you uninstall a pre-installed app that required root to uninstall then you're going to have a problem getting an OTA update when the time comes. Keep in mind that rooting your phone does nothing...it won't run faster, smoother, use less battery, be more sexy, run better or anything like that. Root allows you access to settings and functions that you normally do not have in a stock configuration. Root also allows you to install and run customized ROMs and some apps that require root access.

Nice write up J.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

redrat302

Reaction score
Sorry for my confusion as I am new to this forum a and rooting in general but I have a question. In the beginnng of this thread you mentioned that this rooting procedure for jellybean does not work on the RAZR maxx but I thought we were in the RAZR maxx forum....I'm confused. I'm trying to rood jelly bean on my RAZR maxx. Should I follow these steps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Sorry for my confusion as I am new to this forum a and rooting in general but I have a question. In the beginnng of this thread you mentioned that this rooting procedure for jellybean does not work on the RAZR maxx but I thought we were in the RAZR maxx forum....I'm confused. I'm trying to rood jelly bean on my RAZR maxx. Should I follow these steps?

Why would they post it here if it doesn't work on the MAXX? That makes no sense to me, but I can't speak from experience, honestly. I was planning on rooting, but I might have to redo a lot of stuff from what I understand once the official OTA comes out. I'm just going to wait on it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, this DOES work on the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX, and it is specifically FOR Jelly Bean, so it will work ONLY on Jelly Bean. Just follow the instructions and you WILL have root.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)

Not sure what you are talking about my friend I could not find anywhere in this thread that this will not work on Razr Maxx. In the start of the thread I mentioned that I was not 100% sure if it worked or not being that I was at work and was not going to be able to try this until I got home. Later in the thread I posted that I succeeded, page two FoxKat posted that he also succeeded and it sounds like RedAlert also did. FoxKat's post does show what the utility says when running and it does say that it will not work on RAZR HD, RAZR M ECT.. Not sure how many Razr phones are out anymore but I think the "ect" is for the Razr Maxx HD.

redrat302

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I was looking at what the utility states when running. I'll give it a shot.

sockeblu

Reaction score
Alright, I know that The Stig 04 noted trying 3-4 times before it finally rooted, but what is the average tries for you guys? I have gone thru the process 5 times now and no luck. I never had the phone flash on and off, like with FoxKat, so haven't hit the power button after the cleaning up.. phase near the end. Just wondering if someone else is having this much trouble.

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alright, I know that The Stig 04 noted trying 3-4 times before it finally rooted, but what is the average tries for you guys? I have gone thru the process 5 times now and no luck. I never had the phone flash on and off, like with FoxKat, so haven't hit the power button after the cleaning up.. phase near the end. Just wondering if someone else is having this much trouble.

Have you tried to FDR? I tried it that many times then an FDR cleared it up and went through fine

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I was hoping to avoid that, will try and get back with results.

Yeah I understand what you mean. But try and fail for 4 times just frustrated me and that was the last thing I could think of that was wrong.

sockeblu

Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you mean. But try and fail for 4 times just frustrated me and that was the last thing I could think of that was wrong.

Bingo! FDR and then ran the program. It only made it as far as "Cleaning up..." before it paused, I pressed power with no results, but when I went into the supersu app it said I was rooted. Thanks!

OP
The Stig 04

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Bingo! FDR and then ran the program. It only made it as far as "Cleaning up..." before it paused, I pressed power with no results, but when I went into the supersu app it said I was rooted. Thanks!

How long are you waiting when it pauses? And did you download root checker to make sure?