root denied superuser denied

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
p.s. I wish we could stop throwing around using RSD lite so freely, with all the problems and the finikyness of RSD Lite can't we look to something else first?

I'm open to suggestions. What would you suggest?

I don't mean to go against the grain here, but I've had experience with RSD Lite since v2.x. Anyways if a person needs to unroot their phone, I've added a new link in my sig for doing so. It's a guide here that I wrote by request of pc747. IMHO using RSD Lite should be almost a last resort as the usage of it varies so much now that we have Vista and Win7; both 32 and 64 bit. It was bad enough when we had to specify that it only worked with WinXP SP2.

Anyways, you ARE stock now. If you want to root, follow the link in dlwhtrose's signature. Read the whole thing, realize it's not foolproof, you'll need to use only box option 01 and box option 05. That alone will not root your phone. Then if you like go to my guides in my sig and use the one to root and install busybox manually.

good luck

@ dlwhtrose, your repeat I agree to somewhat as indicated above. The only problem is that the thread linked in your sig needs to be updated for the Froyo builds. I.e. no one can use the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf (the original name) file if they are on unrooted FRG01B. Or worse botched unrooted froyo using EasyRoot. SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf was ONLY designed for UNROOTED 2.1/ESE81 people.

The OP hasn't been back, so we can hope he is on the right road. Nice to see Doug here, though.

Thanks. I did a whole write up about manually flashing recovery, making sure su was in /system/bin and with the right permissions blah blah blah. Like the old ways. Then i re-read about the device being on 2.2(head-slap) and thought the old method would never work what was I thinking. Been away from the moto world for to long. Just last week I rooted a d1 for the first since the old update.zip and manually flashing recovery. You Droid people have it to easy now :p

huskur

Reaction score
On my droid, i rooted using sbf. No issues at all.

Wifes phone i rooted the same way. Both of us run the same rom just different themes but that is not the point of this.......

Don't give "easy root" a bad name. If you don't know what you are doing you won't understand it. You need to know "root" before using it.

Once you use "easy root" to root you need to select the "busybox" and install that. Easy root will take you to the market to do that. Once that happens all you have to do is install rom manager (all done within easy root). Then once you have rom manager all you have to do is scroll to the bottom to get sprecovery installed. Just select "flash alternate" recovery.

I just did this on a friends droid at dinner the other night. 20 mins from stock 2.1 to Froyo 2.2 running UD 6.0.0. (and themed)

Read up people......you need to understand root and what it does before you go messing around with it. If you don't have good knowledge then most likely you will have issues. Without a doubt

Understanding how "easy root" works is simple if you have rooted the hard way (not really hard, just harder than easy root)

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I think Huskr kind of hits the nail on the head. The problem with EasyRoot, ROM Manager and the like is that it makes complex things a little too easy for those who don't really understand them. Then when things go wrong they are totally lost because they really didn't know what they were doing to begin with. Obviously I'm not saying this is the case with everyone who has trouble, but a tool is just a tool. What it does depends upon the person who wields it. Then again, a bad tool will yield bad results in any hand. I guess the difference is the craftsman can tell a tool that is doing what it should from one that isn't and throws the bad tool in the trash.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
+1 huskr. Ah now I see, and yes what you said must be EXACTLY why people are having troubles with easyroot. Almost every app that requires root requires busybox as well. That's why my guide for the 'hard way' includes both rooting and installing the busybox binary in one write-up.

See doug, we still don't have it that easy, lol. And yeah, there's probably some of your material in my guides.

OP
A

as30young

Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet. I have 2.2 FRGO81B and from what I've read the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf will not work? What will give me root? & when I'm rooted will superuser (which is still in my app folder) work or will I need to do something for that to work? Same with Rom manager? ...sorry I'm getting a little confused. thanks for all the help.

Coltrek

Reaction score
I also did the easy root, as I don't want to re-invent the wheel -
Can see all my files in Astro now, but cannot do anything with them. For instance, I am trying to add a new ringtone, but mostly to delete all the bloatware. This is an interesting thread, From Easyroot site's video I thought all I had to do was install a unapproved app to activate superuser (drocap) but it did nothing, so uninstalled, I will install busybox and see If that allows access to files. Very interesting, I have a lot of pals who are using me as a guinea pig before THEY screw up their new Droids.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, you guys that are using Easy Root, ARE powering off and back on right after performing the rooting? That is a necessary step.

Mike

Coltrek

Reaction score
Yes, @ least I did. I even pulled the battery out to see if that would help to no avail. Installed busybox but still no access to restricted files in astro file manager- seem i either need to somehow get superuser or be able to change the file attributes from r to r/w

Mikejl

Reaction score
Yes, @ least I did. I even pulled the battery out to see if that would help to no avail. Installed busybox but still no access to restricted files in astro file manager- seem i either need to somehow get superuser or be able to change the file attributes from r to r/w

Yes..I powered off then back up.

Then definitely go with dlwhtrose's recommendation and you will be fine.

Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I used rsdlite to flash sbf back to stock 2.0.1 and then flashed to 2.1 with the 2.1 update.zip.

24 hours is about all I could take of being at stock so this morning I used Easy Root to obtain root. Took about 10 minute and I had a nandroid backup restrored and was back to where I was before I went back to stock.

The only problem I ran into with Easy Root was that I lost SP Recovery when I accidentally rebooted by clicking the camera button. The next time I went into recovery it was the stock recovery. I had to use RM to flash SPR again. Other than that. No problems.

Mike

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also did the easy root, as I don't want to re-invent the wheel -
Can see all my files in Astro now, but cannot do anything with them. For instance, I am trying to add a new ringtone, but mostly to delete all the bloatware. This is an interesting thread, From Easyroot site's video I thought all I had to do was install a unapproved app to activate superuser (drocap) but it did nothing, so uninstalled, I will install busybox and see If that allows access to files. Very interesting, I have a lot of pals who are using me as a guinea pig before THEY screw up their new Droids.

Coltrek,

Astro doesn't read or do anything with the /system. Its a file manaager for your SD card. If you what to remove stuff from the /system from your phone I suggest Rootexplorer. But be warned it is best to rename then to delete.

And apps such as droidcap you just install from the market. When you open it for the first time it will ask for permission. Say yes then use said app.

Also instead of jumping into another person's thread you should start your own to get the help you need.

Coltrek

Reaction score
Very sorry Doug, I did not mean to hijack as30young's thread, this was the closest I could come to my problem of removing bloatware, and has been very informative. I have downloaded RoodExplorer and it did ask for superuser permissions, so I may have found the answer, and thank you very much. My only apprehension is that it just wants to delete say, Blockbuster, not remove the program, which I am afraid may leave crumbs laying around, like say the registry in a computer. I will dig a little deeper and maybe find the correct thread

Thanks,

Bill

OP
A

as30young

Reaction score
Ok...Finally I did this. and it took me 4 times to get it right. I thought I was doomed LOL I was stuck on the bootloader screen that said code corrupt, but to no avail ...I got it. I read on another post to try more than once!! Thanks again. Oh and btw the "he" is a "she" LOL

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ok...Finally I did this. and it took me 4 times to get it right. I thought I was doomed LOL I was stuck on the bootloader screen that said code corrupt, but to no avail ...I got it. I read on another post to try more than once!! Thanks again. Oh and btw the "he" is a "she" LOL
Congrats! Glad you got it working, and thanks for everyone who contributed. I've got a couple more tips for my N00b Root guide. Hopefully it'll cut down on the Too Easy Root issues we've all been seeing.

And may I say, lady Droid-ers are sexy. ;)

Welcome to the Dark Side! We have cookies.