AGH, the more I try to fix it myself the more broken it gets

Torak

Reaction score
OK, here we go.

This is a Motorola Droid (oops hehe)

Basically here is my problem, back with 2.0.1 I rooted my phone, and then when the 2.1 update came out, the official update, I downloaded it and installed it. 2.1 worked fine etc. But I decided I wanted to overclock my phone and try and get tethering, and change the bar color at the top, just different things. Things that require a root. Well I tried doing that and so I followed some tutorials, I downloaded an emulator app and typed "su" but all I got was the return message access denied, so I'm apparently not rooted. So I returned my phone back to 2.0.1 using the recovery mode in my phone. And now I am back ro 2.0.1 but now the superuser permission app is still there and I still get an access denied when I input "su".

I need to clarify whenever I installed 2.1 the superuser permission app was still there form my original rooting on 2.0.1

So there is my problem, so how should I fix that so I can, overclock my phone to a safe speed, tether my phone ( without paying the 29 dollars), and change the notification bar at the top to black?

Thank you

Last edited:

Taegost

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure which phone you have, but I'm going to assume a Moto Droid. If that's the case, these are the steps I used to root mine with 2.1: How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid

FYI... There's lots of good help in here if you search.
Also, with these steps, I use Windows 7 64-bit, when I got to the section about clicking 'Show Device', my phone didn't appear, nor did Windows detect it, but hitting 'Start' still worked.

OP
T

Torak

Reaction score
Taegost, im now running 2.0.1 and the tutorial said you must be running 2.1 non-rooted, and im running 2.0.1 but I honestly have no clue if I am rooted or not. I have the superuser permission app, but the terminal will not grant me access when I type "su."

Taegost

Reaction score
That tells me you're not rooted... It would probably be easiest to back your stuff up, do a factory wipe, do the 2.1 update, and root from there, the steps in that link work perfectly.

rneal_ra

Reaction score
Droidmod to root

Taegost, im now running 2.0.1 and the tutorial said you must be running 2.1 non-rooted, and im running 2.0.1 but I honestly have no clue if I am rooted or not. I have the superuser permission app, but the terminal will not grant me access when I type "su."
Here's a link to the droidmod site and step by step instructions to root and install droidmod. If you are at 2.01, I think it is the easiest way to go....
Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older DroidMod Roms

Here's another option also...
How to: Root Android 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog
Either of these should get you back to rooted goodness and on your way to some of the incredible ROM's out now.

OP
T

Torak

Reaction score
I did do a factory reset from the stock recovery menu and the superuser permission app is still there