Rockplayer Universal Sucks?

DeathAdder

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with the Rockplayer Universal version from the Market? I remember before that universal version was around there were specific versions for the specific phone processors (ARMv7 for the DInc). I luckily still had it on my SD card.

The reason I ask is that I have a 30fps WMV video that I wanted to convert to MP4 since it was running a little choppy on the DInc. It worked just fine on Windows 7 and Windows XP, so I figured it was the file. I converted it several times (using AVS Video Converter 7) at 24fps, 29.97fps and the original 30fps and all manner of codecs and no matter what the video was pretty choppy (even tried without audio too).

So I uninstalled the universal version and then put back on the ARMv7 specific version and the video played a whole lot better than before.

So converted to H.264/AVC MP4 v.2 at 800 bitrate (from the original 1500) and kept the resolution ratio at original and the audio to the original and it worked pretty good.

And yes, I know about Vplayer. But it's gone to a pay model now, so screw that. Even still, with Vplayer (I tried it) I found the video to still play a little choppy.

Anyone else have suggestions or thoughts?

timrock

Reaction score
mVideoPlayer gets my vote. i only use rockplayer for avi files (which it handles quite well), anything other than that, and i get an issue. mVideoplayer is very smooth and has great features. Download movie posters to substitute for the video icon. download subtitles so u dont have to encode them when/if you convert your movies. I download a lot of blu rays, that are quite large in size. after converting them for my droid x, they are a little over 1gb. And they play flawlessly, no sync issues, no freezing, nothing. I highly recommend it.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
I discovered the same thing. I had moved to RockPlayer Universal, but I recently discovered that one of my avi's that played smoothly before now was choppy and the audio and video would get extremely out of sync.

I've since reverted back to an old version (1.1.47) and that particular avi is completely smooth now. My conclusion is that the Universal version sucks :)

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I dumped rockplayer for Vplayer and could not be happier! Runs AVi's great

Chris

OP
D

DeathAdder

Reaction score
I dumped rockplayer for Vplayer and could not be happier! Runs AVi's great

I liked vplayer too. The problem that I have with it was searching through videos for one. I found a lot of the mp4's and avi's that I had I couldn't search to a particular point in the video, whereas I could with Rockplayer.

The other problem I have is whether it's worth the money. It's up for $2.96. Although I don't mind paying for apps, I also prefer to have the cost at $0.99 for most apps (I just believe that if you have a worthy app, $0.99 will net you a good profit because you have a good app that a lot of people will be willing to pay for versus a crappy app that you charge $4 or $5 for that hardly gets downloaded).

Also, the developer did say it would be free forever when this started. I would have preferred the developer stuck to that and made an ad-served version for free and then a "donation" to remove the ads. Angry Birds was completely free when trialed and fully released. Then they served ads to keep it free and charge a small fee to remove the ads. That makes sense to me and I'm willing to pay the fee to get rid of ads on worthy apps.

So I'm hoping that the Vplayer developer goes to a better business model (or at least charges only $0.99 for the full version) or Rockplayer can figure out the issues.

I guess I'm going back to the old version of Rockplayer.