RockPlayer Beta is now public. AVI playback galore!

pinxue

Reaction score
Seems many people just click the download link at first post, instead of opening the release announce (www.diffthink.com • View topic - RockPlayer first public BETA release), I cite it here, you may find the system requirement and another download link:
RockPlayer first public BETA release
by Water.E » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 pm

We are proud to announce the android video player, RockPlayer is ready for public beta, enjoy video on your favorite phone now!

Support Android OS : 1.6 - 2.2
Support Media format : avi mkv rmvb flv mp4 3gp wmv mov asf , divx xvid h264 rv40
CPU Requirement: ARMV6 、ARMV7 .device must support VFP (NOT Support: HTC G1 G2 G3 )
Download link : ?? - RockPlayer | Google ????
Official Forum : www.diffthink.com • Index page

Must uninstall the old version before install if any. And this public beta will expire at July-15-2010.

Please keep above note when you share the news.

2010-Jun-23: The google group exceed the bandwith quota, you may download the file at http://www.freecoder.org/rockplayer/RockPlayer_0.2.8_Beta_v6_vfp.apk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How would I go about doing that? Sorry for the utter n00bishness.

DVD to Droid for free (for real!) | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst for conversion to H264 is the most recommended path I've seen.

So pretty much you put the DVD in the PC and it gets put into your droid??

Any way to get movies you don't have? seems kind of pointless to me, well unless you go to a friends house and use it with their movies :)

The DVD will stay in your PC. A copy of it gets made that you can then move to your sdcard that this player can then play.

Amazon and Walmart are two great sources to pick up movies you don't have. We have hundreds of DVDs. We rewatch shows. This will let us easily watch some while on the go, while sitting in an airport, etc.

bastosero

Reaction score
So, I've finally installed this and tested it so far with one movie. Initially, when I opened the app and played a movie I had some sync issues. What I tried to do then is to restart back in the beginning of the movie while in playback mode. That did the trick, I guess. Yeah, I wish there was a way to get rid of the "R" symbol on the upper left corner of the screen. It's far from perfect still, but it's a decent start for this app. A few refinements and it should be a great app to use for watching videos from the SD card. I'm gonna test it with some other videos soon and see if I find any other problems with it or not.

beafdefx

Reaction score
Don't see all the hype

So what's the advantage in using this app when you can still batch convert your vids with Handbrake and use all the features of Act 1?

bemymonkey

Reaction score
So what's the advantage in using this app when you can still batch convert your vids with Handbrake and use all the features of Act 1?

The advantage is... not having to convert your videos in the first place. :)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

beafdefx

Reaction score

Is it really that much of a chore?

Something I've noticed is that RockPlayer is a CPU and battery hog because it has to use its own libraries for decoding video, but apps that use the Android multimedia core are far more battery efficient. If you watch a lot of video on the go, it seems like you'd need the best possible battery life. I'd gladly trade a few minutes of automated video conversion for more battery (and an app with lots of features). Maybe I'm in the minority here.

bastosero

Reaction score

Something I've noticed is that RockPlayer is a CPU and battery hog because it has to use its own libraries for decoding video, but apps that use the Android multimedia core are far more battery efficient. If you watch a lot of video on the go, it seems like you'd need the best possible battery life. I'd gladly trade a few minutes of automated video conversion for more battery (and an app with lots of features). Maybe I'm in the minority here.

If others get the chance to recharge their Droids quite often, I don't think it's too much of a problem either.

bemymonkey

Reaction score

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to wait an hour before I can drag a video onto my phone ;). 10 hours if I want a whole season of some series I'm watching... Yes, you're rght, RockPlayer is both a CPU and a battery hog, but what do you expect? It's decoding purely in software, which is bound to use a lot of power. We're still a long way from true DivX/XviD support...

bemymonkey

Reaction score
Oh and... wtf? Stupid forum swallowed my paragraph break (yeap, I had one in there!), and my edit button seems to be missing. Who screwed up? :p

beafdefx

Reaction score
I'll encode my stuff before I want to watch it. It's part of my "routine". I queue up stuff ahead of time so there's always something to watch without waiting.

It's not uncommon in many cities to have public transportation commutes of 1 hour or more and if you want to watch video the whole time, you might be pressed to have your phone last that long at 100% CPU usage. And if you're busy, you can't always count on having your charger and an outlet handy. :-(

bemymonkey

Reaction score
I'll encode my stuff before I want to watch it. It's part of my "routine". I queue up stuff ahead of time so there's always something to watch without waiting.

It's not uncommon in many cities to have public transportation commutes of 1 hour or more and if you want to watch video the whole time, you might be pressed to have your phone last that long at 100% CPU usage. And if you're busy, you can't always count on having your charger and an outlet handy. :-(

An hour isn't much of a problem with Rockplayer. My overclocked Milestone will handle that with buttery smoothness with ~70-80% battery life left. 3 or 4 hours? Now that might be more difficult, and I usually keep the screen brightness as low as I can bear :D