RIM CEO Disses Android Devices, Saying They "are all the same"

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rmember an article comparing RIM, Apple and Android to the PC wars. Back then it was IBM; if you wanted a computer you went to them. Then Apple and Windows came out. IBM didn't care as they had companies buying from them. Later on companies started using Apple or Windows PCs in the office and IBM fell behind because they sat on their laurels.

In the article, RIM was compared to IBM and their stance. Apple and Android came out with phones and RIM felt that serious business people would stand with RIM. By ignoring what Apple and Android were doing RIM has fallen behind as well. Just look at the number of apps they have vs Apple or Android.

A couple of interesting articles at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/technology/rim-offers-free-apps-as-apology-for-outages.html?_r=1 and http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/10/apple-and-android- the-slow-pall-bearers-to-rims-eventual-demise.ars

meishkov

Reaction score
Let me be clear, I'm not one to bash on companies I give them all a fair shot, until they do something stupid. And I believe that if they truly truly truly do find that apple is right in all.of this, then they should be rewarded and the others punished. But IMHO it just seems that apple is obviously shocked that an OS could come out of the blue like android and take a massive chunk of their marketshare in such a short period of time. They didn't believe it could happen it seems like. Seems like they took the same approach on android as IBM did with apple and PC's and rim did with apple, thinking everything was alright and they didn't have to push out any new technology for awhile. They could milk their customers continuously, because in reality, they didn't have any other choices to go with a different company/manufacturer/carrier/serivce.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
My point would be Android needs to stop being obsessed with what Apple is doing, it shows a serious inferiority complex when the mere mention of Apple throws everyone into a frenzy. Let the OEM's fight it out in court, the right decisions will be made. The hatred from some people is just so ugly that it brings the collective Android community down.

Android isn't doing anything. Samsung is. Google doesn't control any other companies. Google has actually been very quiet about this whole thing which I admire about them.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So many great responses.

Let's see now... We have stock Android phones, phones with blur, touchwiz, sense UI, whatever is on lg phones, whatever is on notion ink,

Phones with physical keyboards, all touch screen, 3", 4" phones... Dual screen phone on Sprint, 3d phones..

Yea ..they sure are all the same....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score
The guy is an idiot.

When the board said, "hey Heins, want a RIM job?"

He thought it was something else.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

akiles

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, then by your own account Windows based devices should then be very successful -well, indeed they are.
"Goodbye windows, apple, blackberry losers. Welcome monopoly of Google. The only monopoly I will support."
No monopoly is good for anyone. I was glad when Apple jumped into the cell phone arena to challenge RIM. A little later, GOOG came along and I was glad as well. Phones are cheaper and so are the plans thanks to the different players and options.
All companies (ALL OF THEM) are the same: profit driven. No one gives a $hit about the consumer. What never ceases to amaze me is how people here trash Apple and accuse them of many things (and MSFT as well), yet they give GOOG a "free pass." GOOG is no different (net neutrality ring a bell?)
And android has plenty of weaknesses. In fact, is it just as bad as iOS -sure you can customize your phone, but that requires voiding your warranty. Then what's the point? You buy a device full of bloat. These devices change so quick, they are worthless after just a few months. iPhone owners do not have that problem. I was one of the few morons that bought the razr, just to find out that a better version will come out just 4-5 months after -and no, this is not innovation. This is shafting your consumer with an inferior product to drive profits up. But hey, it's a Motorola after all: "consumer resentment comes standard with every model."
Sure: android is great, and the greatest in my opinion. Sure, RIM's ceo should clean up his own act before making such remarks, but so should android fans -like the poster below.
Technology dumbs people, making us believe we have the best (Apple is the biggest ofender.) The sooner we realize our phones aren't "all that and a bag of chips," the better off we will be.

My favorite thing in the world...haters. Some people say if you wanna see how successful you are you need to count your haters, the more the merrier. And android seems to be extremely successful. First of all the windows CEO said android is made for rocket scientists (because their phones occupy .5 percent of the market). Now we have this genius from rim saying that all android devices look the same...when in fact every single argument that people get into this forum about is because of the ten different skins android devices have on them from HTC to moto to nexus to Samsung to lg and even some other brands I have no idea about. Apple is on the other end suing the hell out of every company working with Android.

And yet, android still stands on top of all devices in the market.

I love Google. Three years ago they were nobodys as far as products went. Now they took over the cellphone market pushing out all the competition, tablet sales have tremendously increased...windows will be targeted next along with osx soon as chromium comes out.

Goodbye windows, apple, blackberry losers. Welcome monopoly of Google. The only monopoly I will support.

I just love the arguments that these companies make because what they say are androids weakness always seem to be their own. Windows said android is complicated, lol have they ever used windows computers? I hate them because they're so complex. Rim saying androids look too similar....lol nothing to say to this. And apple saying android isn't innovative and is copying their style.

These companies just prove that CEOs are nothing more than complete idiots.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, then by your own account Windows based devices should then be very successful -well, indeed they are.
"Goodbye windows, apple, blackberry losers. Welcome monopoly of Google. The only monopoly I will support."
No monopoly is good for anyone. I was glad when Apple jumped into the cell phone arena to challenge RIM. A little later, GOOG came along and I was glad as well. Phones are cheaper and so are the plans thanks to the different players and options.
All companies (ALL OF THEM) are the same: profit driven. No one gives a $hit about the consumer. What never ceases to amaze me is how people here trash Apple and accuse them of many things (and MSFT as well), yet they give GOOG a "free pass." GOOG is no different (net neutrality ring a bell?)
And android has plenty of weaknesses. In fact, is it just as bad as iOS -sure you can customize your phone, but that requires voiding your warranty. Then what's the point? You buy a device full of bloat. These devices change so quick, they are worthless after just a few months. iPhone owners do not have that problem. I was one of the few morons that bought the razr, just to find out that a better version will come out just 4-5 months after -and no, this is not innovation. This is shafting your consumer with an inferior product to drive profits up. But hey, it's a Motorola after all: "consumer resentment comes standard with every model."
Sure: android is great, and the greatest in my opinion. Sure, RIM's ceo should clean up his own act before making such remarks, but so should android fans -like the poster below.
Technology dumbs people, making us believe we have the best (Apple is the biggest ofender.) The sooner we realize our phones aren't "all that and a bag of chips," the better off we will be.

Obviously every company is profit driven but Google makes a quarter of the profits that apple makes with ten times more ways of getting income. Google doesn't charge u for anything.

And u don't void your warranty because of Google with any rooting but you lose your warranty through Verizon. Google doesn't care if you root, matter of fact they want developers to root and possibly improve their devices.

If Google was so profit driven a lot more of their products would be paid for as opposed to be given out for free.

Something as great as Google music is given for free to anyone.

They're not going to give you phones for free obviously because they cost money to make but they do give great deals on Android devices.

meishkov

Reaction score
The guy is an idiot.

When the board said, "hey Heins, want a RIM job?"

He thought it was something else.

Hahahaha so true and yet so true. This is the degenerate they've chosen to run their once dominant business into the inevitable ground. With a mentality like that, that's the only possible for grim

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

densetsu86

Reaction score
Do you know what hater means? Hating a product because you can't use it is one thing...I can't use windows anymore its far too complex. I don't HATE it but I really dislike it.

But hating on a product just because its better than the ones your company is making, that's a different story.

As a CEO I think you should try to win customers by making good products...not bashing others. = hater.

P.s. you can edit. I just did it on my phone.

Im sorry but how the hell is windows too complex? What was the last version you used? Im not a ms fan at all the only product i like from them is windows os. Its just as easy as android if not even easier since windows 7. Maybe cause i have been using it since windows 3.0 on my 486 but its damn easy. The only one ever that was complicated was xp. i hated that one to hell. 85 and 98se was good, me was complete crap (got blue screen so many times that if i got a penny for each time i'd be rich) xp was had a learning curve but was a step in the right direction, vista was an easier version and more secure version of xp and heading in the right direction and windows 7 is just plain awesome. Everything you need is right their and with so many good features that make it easy as hell and honestly i find it tough to use older version cause of windows7. I hope windows 8 is even better.

Back to topic well he has to back his crappy products no matter what to reassure the people who bought and own a bb don't feel bad he probably was face palming himself with that interview. But bb is going down the toilet its not even realitive to people anymore. Im surprise they still have a market share.

And plus i wouldn't support googles os. Windows only limits is what hardware you running, you can download codecs from anywhere then play, watch, do, whatever you want. If its even remotely like there android os it will be horrible. CN't do half the things i want to do on my dx2 that if it had a windows os (not talking about wp7) i would be able to. The specs on my phone matches my mothers laptop that runs win vista and nearly beast my xp computer yet i can do so little on this thing cause android just can't do it. Its very advance for a phone but has a long way to go. Umtill i can just simply download a codec pack and then not have to worry about my cpu not being designed to run said videos then we be good.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I have a windows seven laptop I've stopped using computers and laptops though don't care for them. My phone and tablet do everything a laptop does.

Reaction score
Oooo yea and bb isn't the same wow he has room to talk. How is bb all the same......gets a new bb from vzw....4 hours later...... umm i need a replacement device.XD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score
I have a windows seven laptop I've stopped using computers and laptops though don't care for them. My phone and tablet do everything a laptop does.

That isn't an option for all. I cannot use a tablet with Adobe CS.

Graymayre

Reaction score
BB has fallen to the wayside and soon it will go down the storm drain if they don't get some miracle innovation. They should latch onto Google's frieght train and hold on for dear life and branch out again later when they developed a competitive OS that can challenge it. I'm all for the competition because I was tired of apples monopoly on the next gen of smart phone. It wasn't a bad thing, but it was tiring trying to keep up with the next one. And there was always only one, not a selection of varying devices like they had with their iPods. Your choice of the next one was black and white, literally. Android satisfied alot of market desires with their cross carrier compatibility and device selection. Albeit some fragmentation, but this of course never stopped Windows, why should we expect it to weaken Android? iPhone does serve its purpose tho, being a stable OS on a rock solid device that conforms to the type of person who likes to operate within their box. Android, IMO, is adventurous. Where does this leave BB? I had just forgotten about it, and I'm not surprised.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.