Google's Eric Schimdt: Says Android is Differentiation Not Fragmentation

alboboy10

Reaction score
What makes Google great is that they mind their own business and tell no one how to do their job. Google writes the os and everyone else uses it. For free.

Buying a nexus will resolve problems because if people stop buying phones that will be obsolete in three months then obviously companies are making money and will continue to do so. I would do the same. But if people complain that HTC Motorola etc are not taking care of the phones they should then these companies will focus more on customer satisfaction as opposed to just releasing new phones every other month. The bionic came out. Razr came out a month later. Droid 3 now there's talks about a Droid 4. HTC incredible 1, 2, rhyme, thunderbolt, resound all came out in a matter of how much time?

I have a nexus. I'm happy because I know that I will have an updated phone. It will never be outdated until another nexus comes out in maybe a year or more. Which by then I'll have another upgrade.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
What makes Google great is that they mind their own business and tell no one how to do their job. Google writes the os and everyone else uses it. For free.

Buying a nexus will resolve problems because if people stop buying phones that will be obsolete in three months then obviously companies are making money and will continue to do so. I would do the same. But if people complain that HTC Motorola etc are not taking care of the phones they should then these companies will focus more on customer satisfaction as opposed to just releasing new phones every other month. The bionic came out. Razr came out a month later. Droid 3 now there's talks about a Droid 4. HTC incredible 1, 2, rhyme, thunderbolt, resound all came out in a matter of how much time?

I have a nexus. I'm happy because I know that I will have an updated phone. It will never be outdated until another nexus comes out in maybe a year or more. Which by then I'll have another upgrade.

I still think it comes down to the carriers. They don't want a phone that lasts 2 years. That doesn't help them. They feel that they need new phones every month, because THAT is what gets people in the door. People choose the phone they want first, and then decide if they like that carrier. The carriers know this. Their job is supposed to be service and features, but the reality is that they only care about service just enough to keep you from leaving... and they have an ETF of a few hundred bucks as a backup plan in order to keep you from leaving if the service sucks.

So the PHONE is what brings people in the door. And a 12 month old phone that every other carrier has, won't accomplish that.

I don't know what the solution is. The carriers need new exciting phones to attract buyers and rope them into binding contracts to expand their revenue streams to make stock prices go up and keep investors happy.

Short of the manufacturers all doing what Moto is doing and slowing down the releases, and all standing by that as a unified front, I don't see any of this changing. The carriers don't care about service, quality, or what it costs to make and support a phone. They just want the new shiny phone each month to push contract sales, that's it.

And that business model leads to what we have today.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Well that's why as a customer you need to use your brain. I didn't before I admit it. I went from Android to android wasting money using upgrades for no reason. No more. I don't care what HTC or moto or Samsung comes out I have the nexus. I know it wont be outdated any time soon. Works great. I can see myself using this for another 1.5 years to 2 years.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea but what if you don't like the manufacturer of the Nexus? Every Samsung I have owned or used has had radio issues. Thats why I am not jumping on the Nexus myself, it is have having low data signal issues. I like every fact about a "Nexus" except for the fact that its a Samsung. So what do people do in this case? I guess I am just going to have to wait for a Motorola or HTC Nexus.

Snow02

Reaction score
Why post here if every one of your posts is negative. Big internet tough guy, aren't ya?

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Yes. :flexes:

alboboy10

Reaction score
Yea but what if you don't like the manufacturer of the Nexus? Every Samsung I have owned or used has had radio issues. Thats why I am not jumping on the Nexus myself, it is have having low data signal issues. I like every fact about a "Nexus" except for the fact that its a Samsung. So what do people do in this case? I guess I am just going to have to wait for a Motorola or HTC Nexus.

Then you're making a generalization. I don't have radio issues and my GPS locks instantly. U know Motorolas are known for having good radios and stuff but go check the bionic forums. Lol

Even HTC has their problems.

I personally didn't want a Samsung either but I got it cause its a nexus.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
HTC and Moto have a better record of fixing radios than Samsung does. My radio is fixed in my Bionic. It was fixed with the 893 update. Samsungs radio issues started on 3g and span multiple carriers. With the Samsungs I have owned the radio was never fixed, granted they weren't Nexus phones though. The Nexus would be more appealing to me if it didn't suffer from a typical Samsung issue that people are reporting. Hopefully it gets fixed soon as I would like to see a Google experience device do well. And as you said it works ok in your phone, so I could just be looking at it the wrong way. The development on the Nex definitely is enticing.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
One could argue that Eric Schmidt of Google is living in denial about the "fragmentation" of Android, but he also makes some persuasive arguments to the contrary. He recently came forward at CES indicating that there isn't really a problem of fragmentation on Android. He claims that the platform instead offers customer-friendly "differentiation." He sees differentiation as a positive and fragmentation as a negative, and elaborated that if there were fragmentation then apps would be far more broken across the differing versions of Android, and different third party skins of Android.

He's obviously living in denial.

[if there were fragmentation then apps would be far more broken across the differing versions of Android, and different third party skins of Android

Heck, apps are badly broken within the SAME version of Android, let alone differing. I kindly invite Mr. Schmidt to sit down with me as I browse the Android Market. I have a Bionic, and a majority of EA and Gameloft's top titles are "not compatible with your device". I have a modern device, running a modern OS. If fragmentation isn't there, and isn't breaking apps; then why aren't apps simply compatible as long as the device has enough memory and processor power?

I see it getting even worse with MIPS and Intel getting into the game. Biggest problem being that most Android apps are ARM binaries, and not MIPS or x86.