Google's Eric Schimdt: Says Android is Differentiation Not Fragmentation

rherron

Reaction score
Manufacturers' skins should have an on/off switch.

Manufacturers should not be allowed to install anything that cannot be safely, permanently removed.

These two simple things would go a tremendous way toward improving the overall "product."

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Eclair! Sorry to hear that. Not a single phone should be on 2.1 at all. That's ok, your 2.1 device is differentiated lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
-Certain apps not working on certain phones. For example my Bionic is very capable, but certain apps are not "compatible" with my device. Phones systems are fragmented.
-A lot phones are still stuck on 2.2 with no update in site.
-Phones can be released half finished because the set of Android standards from Google is low
-Carriers can force skins and bloat onto devices even if the manufacturer may not want them there
...there are more I am sure.

I see "a lot", "certain", etc. No specific examples. Good job.

alboboy10

Reaction score
-Certain apps not working on certain phones. For example my Bionic is very capable, but certain apps are not "compatible" with my device. Phones systems are fragmented.
-A lot phones are still stuck on 2.2 with no update in site.
-Phones can be released half finished because the set of Android standards from Google is low
-Carriers can force skins and bloat onto devices even if the manufacturer may not want them there
...there are more I am sure.

all problems that are solved with a nexus.

Burnicus

Reaction score

I love the idea of Nexus, but the execution is crap. Weak engineering, pathetic camera, cheap materials, completely different connections than other devices, and no external memory.

Snow02

Reaction score
I love the idea of Nexus, but the execution is crap. Weak engineering, pathetic camera, cheap materials, completely different connections than other devices, and no external memory.

Don't be that guy.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

right, but isn't that the point? it's not differentiation it's fragmentation if you have to buy one phone in order to solve all your problems haha

Burnicus

Reaction score
Why post here if every one of your posts is negative. Big internet tough guy, aren't ya?

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

I'm not trying to hate, just expressing my frustration with the device. I can see how it would be fantastic for a developer, it just doesnt work for me. Also the difference in hardware is another example of fragmentation.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to hate, just expressing my frustration with the device. I can see how it would be fantastic for a developer, it just doesnt work for me. Also the difference in hardware is another example of fragmentation.

Hey you are completely entitled to your opinion. I was responding to the other guy.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is fragmentation, but is that the fault of the OS or the manufacturers, or the carriers? Google writes the OS. But the manufacturers take it, customize it, toss it on dozens of phones that are all designed to be obsolete in 6-12 months max, and then the carriers make demands on what they want on it, what can't go on it, etc...

Google just writes the OS, but when it is given away for free, you cannot make demands and mandates on how it is deployed.

If Apple released iOS to a host of manufacturers for free, it would be the same thing with the same fragmentation.

The way that they need to spin this, is that:

"Fragmentation means choice. Choice in manufacturer. Choice in hardware. Choice in features. Choice in form factor. Choice in size and even choice in price point. It is why Ford and GM offer many models of cars from the Aveo to the Corvette ZR1, from the Festiva to the Shelby Mustang and Ford GT. Android offers a phone to fit anyone's needs or budget. If you want no fragmentation, there is an option for you and it's called Apple. Your choices as a consumer, are white bezel of black bezel. Enjoy."

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea but the Shelby Mustang isn't obsolete in 6 months

True, but Google rolls out the updates and new versions... The problem is the manufacturers that have 15 phones each, that they have to develop for, evaluate which phones get the updates, testing, etc... Then the carriers add another layer of roadblocks with them having to add their crap, decide what gets updates based on when they want to sunset a phone in order to drive upgrade sales, etc...

The problem is not the OS itself IMHO. It is the cell phone market in general. Every manufacturer and carrier is competing like crazy and has to have the absolute latest and greatest on a monthly basis. The only alternative is to close the environment down, and say once every 12-18 months, "Here is the new model, white or black?"...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it is up to Google to do a better job at controlling the environment. They created this beast. I think the environment does need to be closed down a bit....

-Have to wait 6 months to release a phone.
-Each phone has to have updates for at least 18 months
-Skin cannot interfere with performance of device
-Bloat should be removable

Without a set of standards, the OS is "cheapened"