RIM Officially Launches BlackBerry 10; Too Little Too Late or Good Competition?

acalla4

Reaction score
I used to love my BB phones; never had any problems with them. When they fell behind in the game, I made the switch to Android. I've loved every part of that decision since, with the exception for Verizon's lack of updates for my phone. Thank god for roms, eh? My biggest complaint with BB is that they didn't have enough to keep me entertained beyond Facebook and texting. It was dull. It seems they've managed to revamp their image in that department, so why can't they give Android and iOS a run for their money? Should be fun to watch, anyway.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good competition. I like Android...but if I every got tired of it....BB10 would get a serious look from me. I am actually excited about this new BB. The features are looking nice. There are some nice demo clips out of the new features.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked around; are there no in-depth media releases for this? Teasing and hinting at capabilities is not the way to garner interest in a dying platform. BB's YouTube page is replete with two-minute snippets, but nothing of substance. Bad move.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I think their name alone helps, but they need to do ALOT of work in order to gain some serious traction. They need to keep the $150 thing for developers and they need to keep things very very simple. They need to kind of do what apple does and keep the screen sizes(or res) the same and go with a processor and stick with it for a year. The S4 pro would be a good choice.

They also need to make sure that the batteries can last.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I looked around; are there no in-depth media releases for this? Teasing and hinting at capabilities is not the way to garner interest in a dying platform. BB's YouTube page is replete with two-minute snippets, but nothing of substance. Bad move.

Crackberry has a in depth analysis, way to long to read in one sitting (insert poogling joke here)

There review is very in depth but may be slightly skewed. (My personal opinion)

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
the iPhone is failing? Tell me more... Didn't think so.

As for BB10, we still use a BES and have numerous 9900/9930 devices that I am in charge of. We do have a BYOD policy and have several iPhone/Android devices on the company email (Lotus). I look forward to testing the new BB10 devices and will hold my opinion for when the device is in hand (hopefully soon).

Once I get a chance to toy around with them I will let you guys know how I feel in a non-biased way.

Re read his post he said FALLING not FAILING.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Crackberry has a in depth analysis, way to long to read in one sitting (insert poogling joke here)

There review is very in depth but may be slightly skewed. (My personal opinion)

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

I just wanted a good vid highlighting the main "wow" features. If they really want people to pay attention that part of it was a no-brainer that they failed to execute.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
From the small bit I saw of the Z, I would be tempted to go back to Crackberry. I loved both of my devices, and never had any issues. I don't even remember why I switched to Android 2 years ago lol.
I think the features they've added could be great. It will be interesting to see what happens.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Gflam, how is their app market 'top notch'? Is it because they have 5,000 apps? 10,000? Has a great layout & is lag free? Please elaborate.

acalla4

Reaction score
Gflam, how is their app market 'top notch'? Is it because they have 5,000 apps? 10,000? Has a great layout & is lag free? Please elaborate.

As was said, the porting allows for the apps to eventually work on BB given dev support for them. Give them credit...they're trying...haha

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
From the small bit I saw of the Z, I would be tempted to go back to Crackberry. I loved both of my devices, and never had any issues. I don't even remember why I switched to Android 2 years ago lol.
I think the features they've added could be great. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I switched because psx emulators worked on android and no good emulators on BB... Funny I've never played a psx game on my droid except to test on my droid 2 global.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.

acousticshade

Reaction score
As was said, the porting allows for the apps to eventually work on BB given dev support for them. Give them credit...they're trying...haha

I wasn't trashing RIM, just interested in why Gflam thought their app shop was tops. No offense, but just because he made 5 apps for it and a bunch of other developers did too doesn't mean squat really. I'm interesetd in how RIM is doing, so actual facts like how many apps do they have currently, do they have many of the latest hot games/programs, do they have movies/books/magazines, is their app store expensive (I hear Microsoft's is very expensive, which is a huge turn off for me), is their app store nice looking and easy to navigate. Stuff like this would be nice to know.

acalla4

Reaction score
I wasn't trashing RIM, just interested in why Gflam thought their app shop was tops. No offense, but just because he made 5 apps for it and a bunch of other developers did too doesn't mean squat really. I'm interesetd in how RIM is doing, so actual facts like how many apps do they have currently, do they have many of the latest hot games/programs, do they have movies/books/magazines, is their app store expensive (I hear Microsoft's is very expensive, which is a huge turn off for me), is their app store nice looking and easy to navigate. Stuff like this would be nice to know.

Yeah, I don't blame you. I guess only time will tell. Their Super Bowl commercial didn't really show much either. They aren't showing off the system too much.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that commercial was a pretty weak teaser. Guess it works for BB users who might be out of the loop, but I doubt it did much to get the uninitiated interested in the platform.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
why did they make alicia keys their global creative director? did none of the tech gurus want to apply for the job?