Future Android Competitor? The First 'Firefox' Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
geeksphone-mozilla-firefox-os-developer-preview.png

Even though this isn't Android related, it is something that could potentially impact Android in the future. Could the phone in the pic above actually give Android some serious competition in the future? Supposedly, the pic is of the new "Firefox" Smartphone developed by Mozilla. We even have some specs to go with it, although they are a bit lackluster:
  • 1GHz Snapdragon processor
  • 512MB of RAM
  • 3 megapixel camera
  • 4GB of internal storage
Of course, higher-end hardware specs do not necessarily make a product better. Perhaps the Mozilla Firefox Mobile OS can do more with less... Regardless, it would take some impressive features and functionality to draw people away from the big dogs of the industry like iOS and Android. It might be interesting to see what develops from this, especially considering that Mozilla has a very open mindset about development, just like Google. Also, more competition in the market is likely a good thing.

Still, it's hard to see this device as much of a threat when other bigger name players like Microsoft and RIM can't seem to get a decent foothold. Share your thoughts.

Source: Phandroid

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Yeah right, I'm putting my bet on the ubuntu phone and Android in the next few years being in a good old battle

I'll personally switch to ubuntu phone

Sent from my DROID r4z3r running JB

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I don't think it will be a competitor, may be future lawsuit bait for Apple by looking at the design.

eagle923

Reaction score
Even in they made the phone free, the real cost of a phone is the contract/data plan. I don't see it competing with any LTE/4g based phones in any way, shape or form.

NiCE2012

Reaction score
better watch out, another rectangle device with round corners.. some fruit company will not be happy with it.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Choices are good. I remember the first Android phone, while exciting, made me go "eh". With maturity of OS and product it has become a force. Mozilla doesn't have the resources of Google so whether they can withstand those first few missteps and roadblocks or not is too be determined.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Competition is GOOD. I say good luck Ubuntu phone, Windows 8 phone, and now it looks like Mozilla Phone. I however am already invested in Android, so I doubt I will stray, however new Smartphone users might gravitate to it if it does everything they want it to do, and is priced just right.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Wow, lackluster specs is the understatement of the year. That's like what, 2+ year old tech (heck the camera is probably 5 year old tech).

Wonder why they don't just buy rights and take over production of an existing older high end phone from one of the big boys. Probably too much hassle I guess.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Wow, lackluster specs is the understatement of the year. That's like what, 2+ year old tech (heck the camera is probably 5 year old tech).

Wonder why they don't just buy rights and take over production of an existing older high end phone from one of the big boys. Probably too much hassle I guess.

They are targeting a certain demographic to start with, you wouldn't want to invest millions into a failure.

I'm certain the device specs will incrementally become more in tune with today's standard.

They must get their feet wet before going swimming, that said it still favors an iPhone waaay to much.