Resetting Google Account Password???

jiv0200

Reaction score
The ANSWER.

Wow! All I can say is wow! This issue has cost me hours and hours! Let me start by restating the problem...

I changed my Google Apps Gmail password via my PC (the NEW password) and then wanted to do the same on my Verizon Droid Incredible which still had the OLD password.

WARNING
BEFORE you consider a factory reset...see if you fall into this category. I tried and failed the factory reset option thank God! As it would only have resulted in erasing my data and leaving me in the same situation! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

BACKGROUND
I think the most important aspect about my situation is that I use Google Apps and had been for a few years. Back then (with out me knowing) they had a temporary email account mapped to the real account. i.e. for the Google Apps Gmail account [email protected] they actually created a foo%[email protected] on the back end which you really didn't see.

A year ago (ish), when I logged into Google Apps, I was presented with a list of options to either separate or collapse foo%[email protected] into [email protected]. I choose to collapse all the information and data into [email protected] and summarily forgot about the whole affair.

Fast forward time to this past week... I changed the password on [email protected] within Google Apps on my PC. On my Droid, the Gmail app failed to ask me for a revised password and it just wouldn't sync. I tried the marketplace and captcha solutions described out there to now avail. I literally spent 4 hours here!!!

Now here is where it gets crazy...on my PC, I went to accounts.google.com...typed in [email protected] and the NEW password and saw what was expected. i.e. details on the [email protected] Gmail account. However, from accounts.google.com...when I typed in [email protected] and the OLD password...I was present with details pertaining to foo%[email protected].

So depending on the OLD or NEW password I used at accounts.google.com with the username [email protected], I was presented with either the OLD or NEW account details. Aha!

SOLUTION
I went to accounts.google.com on my PC and typed in [email protected] plus the OLD password. I then changed the password to the NEW password.

After I did this, I went back to Gmail on my Droid and hit refresh...voila!!! It finally presented me with the option to change my password. I typed in the NEW password and all has worked wonderfully since.

The captcha bit might need to be reset as well. I dunno. So if the above sounds familiar...be sure to visit this link and reset the account via captcha...

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha

I'm quite tired, exasperated and pissed off! So I apologize if the above is a bit cryptic. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try as best I can to clarify.

Good luck!

Thank you! Followed these steps and everything worked out. I even took time to register in this forum only to show my sincere appreciation for your detailed instructions and to inform others that they should really consider this as a solution before resetting their phone. Cheers!

argmac

Reaction score
Steve Driscoll, you are my new hero! I was about to jump from a skyscraper until I read your post. I joined the forum just to say thank you and shame on google for this.