Is your tbolt rebooting several times a day?

zenman77

Reaction score
Try this. After calling vz I was connected to tier 2 tech support and they had me factory reset the phone. I always thought the only reset for this is in the bootloader menul. After resetting the phone the way they suggested yesterday, my phone has not rebooted itself yet. Prior to the reset it was rebooting 3-4 times a day. The option to reset is found at settings, sd & phone storage and then factory data reset. Make sure you remember your gmail account and password because you'll be losing all of your data. My battery life seems better also.

Hope this helps others as well and looking forward to hearing back.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
mine rebooted today, the battery is warm, stuck on 3g.. my friends in the office is on 4g with no issues...

doing a factory reset now.. im getting fed up with this phone.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I was sold on how HTC was such a great phone so I left Motorola for it. However, I think Motorola has HTC beat on hardware anyway... That said, I had a handful of reboots with my Stock Thunderbolt before I rooted it. Since I've rooted it, no unexplained reboots.

Talk about embarrassing for HTC. I mean seriously? Let's release a phone and advertise 8GB of internal ram and then bait/switch with only 2GB of free space. Then, let's have a half baked phone with really bad battery life, tons of bloatware, and a radio that causes people's phones to restart like crazy. WTF is HTC thinking?

I got maybe 10 hours of battery life on light to medium usage before I rooted. I saw blockbuster draining my battery like no tomorrow. After I rooted and put on Adrynalyne's Das BAMF and kernel - I can easily get 24 hours with the same usage.

Rooting seemed to make this phone acceptable for me. Getting rid of the ****ty bloatware, downclocking the CPU (2x battery life), and quadrupling the standby time = effects of rooting.

Anyone feel slighted that we have to root a device we paid $600+ for (or 2+ years of a contract) just to make it a functional phone? I am someone who pays $$$ to get rid of advertisement, yet on a $600 phone that I paid for, I'm FORCE FED bloatware.

I'm already so upset at this experience (I'm happy with my Thunderbolt now, but with a sour feeling) that my next phone will be a Google Nexus phone with NO CONTRACT. Screw the carriers, screw Motorola/HTC. I'm tempted to buy one now and cancel my Verizon contract.

jogutier

Reaction score

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Here's my working theory

How did your factory reset help out?

It's located under SD and phone storage.

Thanks bud, but my question was towards if the factory reset actually helped his phone. :)

No kidding...lol.....from my own experience with my Droid when installing custom ROMs and/or updates sometimes the individual processes involved with the update may fail and not be serious enough to cause the entire update to fail. So I had to do factory resets or just reinstall ROM and/or update. The factory reset will keep the current software update in place but restart/restore any processes that didn't update properly when the update was initially done. I think the reason why the phones COULD be restarting is because it's attempting to fix those processes that failed to update originally without any luck because the same issue that prevented the phone from successfully updating initially keeps interfering. I think I mentioned once already in this thread or some other that I had one reboot the same day I updated my software when I wasn't using my phone and I think my phone was able to correct itself because I haven't had one since. With a factory reset you wipe the entire phone clean and allow the processes that were failing to update initially to sucessfully update and then you can restore your data.

I think that's why the factory reset has been successful for a lot of people.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
mine rebooted today, the battery is warm, stuck on 3g.. my friends in the office is on 4g with no issues...

doing a factory reset now.. im getting fed up with this phone.

How did your factory reset help out?

we'll see.. so far so good... i was stuck on 3g for sometime too.. this phone is becoming a pain.. its so unstable..

im praying for a Galaxy 2S with LTE.. then will throw my TB in the ocean ;)

tabraha

Reaction score
Gonna give the factory reset a try now. I just had my 5th reset for the day... Worst part was 2 of them were during business calls with clients.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Its actually kind of funny to see this whole ordeal transpire frustration in customers....and the generally accepted attitude that "the Thunderbolt sucks...I want to get rid of it".

There is great flaw in this logic.

Think of the phone (hardware) and the software as separate entities (even though I know they go hand and hand, but for arguments sake...shut up for a minute and just listen...not trying to be rude...just calm the red rage here)

1. I remember when I first got my D1...i was impressed. LOVED it despite it having a couple shortcomings. First it was 2.1, then 2.2 froyo came...YAY!!!...even better. Then I rooted....then all kinds of roms of 2.2 were getting flashed on my phone. All of them worked pretty darn well and NONE of them were 100% Flawless. Yet....I still loved my phone. Then came MIUI....I was on MIUI for the longest time. It was unlike anything any of us had seen on an android phone. Weekly updates started coming...I was wiping my phone and flashing a new release on a weekly basis. All of them had some known issue. I remember the reboots right around the november 2010 releases. It happened A LOT. ...still loved my D1...and still do.

Now...the Tbolt is released. the "unrootable" was rooted in a friggen day. Shortly after its release, custom ROMs start popping up for it.

so...on 5/13/11 (not even 6 days ago), an OTA patch was pushed. This patch is causing SOME users to experience reboots (anywhere from 1 ever - a few a day). Personally I have had 3 in the week Ive owned the phone.

Now everyone is complaining about the Tbolt being a piece of crap...and I want to return this phone...and this phone sucks....blah blah blah. People its a friggen OTA update. What is so difficult to understand about it. Yeah...dont get me wrong...its a minor inconvenience.......but the PHONE IS NOT GOING TO STAY THIS WAY FOREVER! Seriously...a fix will come. A new OTA will push....reboots will disappear...gps already locks on for me.

Its NOT the phone....its the OTA update that sucked. And to be fair...it apparently doesnt suck for EVERYONE...some people have no probs whatsoever.

Stop whining...pull your panties out of your butt and be patient. What would you think about your thunderbolt if there never were any reboots? What if GPS locks instantly? Would you still think the TBolt sucks?

S

scrub175

My reboots went away after I cleaned out my inbox. I'm rooted and run BAMF 1.6 and was having several reboots throughout the day. I narrowed it down that it would reboot after texting. I'm usually very bad about cleaning my inbox, I would have a few threads with upward of 50 messages. I deleted the messages and it seems to have fixed my particular issue.

I also tried wiping phone in recovery and fresh rom install. that worked for about a week or two.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Rebooting about once a day since the update. My wife has the same phone. Don't think I'm gonna install the update on her's.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
my phone is now just cycling thru the connections.. i wish i could go back to pre-crappy-update.. why did i do that... i had to go 1x connection then do it ota.. i regret it big time.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
absolutely right

Its actually kind of funny to see this whole ordeal transpire frustration in customers....and the generally accepted attitude that "the Thunderbolt sucks...I want to get rid of it".

There is great flaw in this logic.

Think of the phone (hardware) and the software as separate entities (even though I know they go hand and hand, but for arguments sake...shut up for a minute and just listen...not trying to be rude...just calm the red rage here)

1. I remember when I first got my D1...i was impressed. LOVED it despite it having a couple shortcomings. First it was 2.1, then 2.2 froyo came...YAY!!!...even better. Then I rooted....then all kinds of roms of 2.2 were getting flashed on my phone. All of them worked pretty darn well and NONE of them were 100% Flawless. Yet....I still loved my phone. Then came MIUI....I was on MIUI for the longest time. It was unlike anything any of us had seen on an android phone. Weekly updates started coming...I was wiping my phone and flashing a new release on a weekly basis. All of them had some known issue. I remember the reboots right around the november 2010 releases. It happened A LOT. ...still loved my D1...and still do.

Now...the Tbolt is released. the "unrootable" was rooted in a friggen day. Shortly after its release, custom ROMs start popping up for it.

so...on 5/13/11 (not even 6 days ago), an OTA patch was pushed. This patch is causing SOME users to experience reboots (anywhere from 1 ever - a few a day). Personally I have had 3 in the week Ive owned the phone.

Now everyone is complaining about the Tbolt being a piece of crap...and I want to return this phone...and this phone sucks....blah blah blah. People its a friggen OTA update. What is so difficult to understand about it. Yeah...dont get me wrong...its a minor inconvenience.......but the PHONE IS NOT GOING TO STAY THIS WAY FOREVER! Seriously...a fix will come. A new OTA will push....reboots will disappear...gps already locks on for me.

Its NOT the phone....its the OTA update that sucked. And to be fair...it apparently doesnt suck for EVERYONE...some people have no probs whatsoever.

Stop whining...pull your panties out of your butt and be patient. What would you think about your thunderbolt if there never were any reboots? What if GPS locks instantly? Would you still think the TBolt sucks?

That's hilarious!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Complainers will come and go, those of us who are more patient will just have to weather the storm.