Researching the Rezound . . . and Razr MAXX

JeffDenver

Reaction score
This may be my last Rezound question, but I'm not betting the farm on it! LOL

I have read good reviews and comments about the Motorola Smartactions App. Does HTC include a similar app with the Rezound?

I want to thank all of you for your patience and help. I am now much more confident that I have made the right decision.
I would never choose a phone based on software. Ever.

Because it is very likely that the app in question can simply be pulled and installed on any Android device. I have a collection of Samsung phone apps that are supposedly only available of Galaxy S2 and S3 phones. The only ones I keep installed are some of the Live wallpapers. But I have a lot of samsung-specific apps, including launchers.

When buying a phone I would worry much more about the hardware than the software. You can always upgrade software later. But you will never be able to upgrade hardware.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Good point jeffdenver... a bit like the phrase "there's an app for that." Smart Actions is a very user friendly tool. There are similar type apps on the market. Hardware is very important and both the rezound and maxx are top as far as hardware is concerned. But, like you, once I have chosen a phone for it's specs, I do pay attention to what software it has... especially given that before ICS, you couldn't get rid of the software (bloatware) that came on the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You could always get rid of bloat by rooting, even before ICS.

And that is another area HTC is best at...HTC allows you to unlock your phones "legally", without having to resort to hacks. Motorola is notorious in the industry for being very draconian about rooting. They deliberately put roadblocks in your way to prevent it. HTC does not.

Snoking

Reaction score
So down to these two and disregarding the batteries. Holding the two really comes into play. I found the flat phones like the Razz very hard to hold.

The curved extend battery Rezound fits nicely in my large hands.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I was actually going to say, while Jeff is 100% correct, I'd say it comes down to feel and practicality more than hardware. Fact is, all phones these days are really nice. They're all going to run lag free unless you really, really, really overload them. They all look great etc etc.

What matters now is how it feels in your hand. Do you like having a charger on the bottom or on the side? Where do you prefer your power button or headphone jack? Things like this are what have defined a phone for me more than anything...the feel. Both my Rezound and Bionic worked flawlessly, but I just liked the feel of the Bionic more. I love the GS3, how light it is and it fits great in my big hands.

So everything is important, but when you've narrowed it down, these should be the defining factors IMO.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
You could always get rid of bloat by rooting, even before ICS.

And that is another area HTC is best at...HTC allows you to unlock your phones "legally", without having to resort to hacks. Motorola is notorious in the industry for being very draconian about rooting. They deliberately put roadblocks in your way to prevent it. HTC does not.

Exactly Jeff. That's what I did. Rooted my Rezound and it was the best thing I did to this phone. Phone runs flawless and free wifi tether. I love it. HTC to me overall has the best phones. There are things people don't like about them. For my first HTC phone I love them.

OP
B

bawoo49

Reaction score
I have joined a number of forums on a number of subjects, from computers to farm tractors. Never have I been involved in a forum in which my fellow members have shared as much knowledge, experience and opinions as Droid Forums. I know now that when we buy our Rezounds I will have the support I need to learn the ins and outs of our new phones.

Thanks to all of you!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
We got your back bawoo! And thank you for the nice words. We are great community... I think, anyway!

OP
B

bawoo49

Reaction score
Hi everyone! The time is near . . . only a couple of weeks until we get our Rezounds! Hope the price may drop a little, but we're going to buy them regardless of the price.

I have seen some phones that allow still photos to be taken while videoing, but have not seen any RZ specs include that as a feature. Does the ICS upgrade add this feature?

Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am not sure if the rezound can do that but there are apps in play store where you can get a still from videos you've taken. They are pretty handy.

HowardZ

Reaction score
For me, it is important to have an unlocked bootloader. I would consider the developer's version of the Samsung galaxy s3 if it actually is released, works on Verizon's network, and Verizon allows it on Verizon's network.

Also, motorola is starting to allow unlocking its bootloaders if the cell company agrees. Verizon won't agree, but there are some razors in other countries that can be unlocked. That might be nice, a razer max with unlocked bootloader?

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Hi everyone! The time is near . . . only a couple of weeks until we get our Rezounds! Hope the price may drop a little, but we're going to buy them regardless of the price.

I have seen some phones that allow still photos to be taken while videoing, but have not seen any RZ specs include that as a feature. Does the ICS upgrade add this feature?

No, the Rezound doesn't do that. Thats one of the newest features...as far as I know, only the Galaxy S3 and One X do that.

There are apps on the market that try to duplicate it, but IMO, they do so poorly. They only capture key frames. You can view the video, but cannot convert the actual frame you might want...only about 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 frames is one you can select. Better than nothing? Yeah, maybe. But not as good as what the new phones do.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, the Rezound doesn't do that. Thats one of the newest features...as far as I know, only the Galaxy S3 and One X do that.

There are apps on the market that try to duplicate it, but IMO, they do so poorly. They only capture key frames. You can view the video, but cannot convert the actual frame you might want...only about 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 frames is one you can select. Better than nothing? Yeah, maybe. But not as good as what the new phones do.

Try Frame Grabber by Sony. It isn't free but does full resolution and full fps capability. I put videos I make on my standalone camera on my phones (Rezound and Incredible1) or Tab and make still shots using the app as well as making stills from videos shot on the Rezound. I get file sizes large enough to have made some 8x10 and 10x13 photos from.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
For me, it is important to have an unlocked bootloader. I would consider the developer's version of the Samsung galaxy s3 if it actually is released, works on Verizon's network, and Verizon allows it on Verizon's network.

Also, motorola is starting to allow unlocking its bootloaders if the cell company agrees. Verizon won't agree, but there are some razors in other countries that can be unlocked. That might be nice, a razer max with unlocked bootloader?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-s3-general-discussion/220626-bootloader-unlocked.html

HowardZ

Reaction score