Rezound vs. Bionic, initial thoughts...

warnette

Reaction score
Thanks, and yes, if you remember to take notice on a sunny day, it is most appreciated. Again, the Rezound has a gorgeous display but if I can't see it in daylight or a brightly lit surrounding, then it isn't meaningful to me. :( I struggled for almost 2 years with OG Droid in sunlight and would rather not experience it again. :)
I just made the switch also and its not as bright, but its acceptable doesn't look like crap. I initially never gave this phone any credit and I think most people are the same way. Its sales gimmick was a bit weaker for most compared to the forum over function razr, but compared to the razr and bionic its is a very solid product. The last crop of motorola phones, especially the bionic, have had a number of significant problems that im not having on the rezound. Apps dont disappear, keeps connected to 4G, the screen is unanimously one of the best made, and you get a gimmicky set of headphones that really arent that bad.
::rant::
And as for this whole' "Its not that bad" or "You get used to it" COME ON!!! If something is acceptable or good you dont have to get used to it because its already good without you pulling mental gymnastic to justify your screen looking like one step up from a freaking light bright.

The rezound also holds 4G waaaaay better than the bionic if one could claim the bionic could hold a 4G signal. Which to me is kinda a clutch thing when your are buying a 4G device.

As for the battery im finding that unbroken in it last about the same amount of time as the bionic, so hopefully as it gets broken in it will surpass that giving it another win over the bionic.

In summation, this is a very underrated solid device.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I just made the switch also and its not as bright, but its acceptable doesn't look like crap. I initially never gave this phone any credit and I think most people are the same way. Its sales gimmick was a bit weaker for most compared to the forum over function razr, but compared to the razr and bionic its is a very solid product. The last crop of motorola phones, especially the bionic, have had a number of significant problems that im not having on the rezound. Apps dont disappear, keeps connected to 4G, the screen is unanimously one of the best made, and you get a gimmicky set of headphones that really arent that bad.
::rant::
And as for this whole' "Its not that bad" or "You get used to it" COME ON!!! If something is acceptable or good you dont have to get used to it because its already good without you pulling mental gymnastic to justify your screen looking like one step up from a freaking light bright.

The rezound also holds 4G waaaaay better than the bionic if one could claim the bionic could hold a 4G signal. Which to me is kinda a clutch thing when your are buying a 4G device.

As for the battery im finding that unbroken in it last about the same amount of time as the bionic, so hopefully as it gets broken in it will surpass that giving it another win over the bionic.

In summation, this is a very underrated solid device.

Light brite? Rofl i don't even think that justifies a response.. And my bionic holds 4g longer than my friends rzr and my gfs rezound by faaaaar. I dont even know where u get ur facts from... its been well documentated that the bionic is superior on holding service ...i mean cmon its moto..it's kinda there thing.. And its cool to have all these great specs.on the rezound..but animations and app drawer on the rezound are just not snappy and choppy. And ive seen rzr and rezound benches and my bionic runs side by side not to mention rezound is stupid thick.. And have u seen it with extended battery? Looks like my old tbolt. Lol. They're all good phones with great hardware.. i realize bionic has been giving people data problems.. i personally have had zero. And the patch is so close to dropping. I truly think most of time people are thinking that the bionic is dropping data its not the phone it's verizon working on the network.. i mean how many nationwide outages has there been since 4g launched? five ... six?? More locally im sure... all three are great phones ..but dont come on here bashing bionic cuz u were expecting the all mighty vigor and got the rezound instead...bionic is beast. And i cant tell u how many ppl have complemented me on the phone.. but in the end we're all on the same team.. bash the iflop instead. Hahah. Cheers for good dual core droids for all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Light brite? Rofl i don't even think that justifies a response.. And my bionic holds 4g longer than my friends rzr and my gfs rezound by faaaaar. I dont even know where u get ur facts from... its been well documentated that the bionic is superior on holding service ...i mean cmon its moto..it's kinda there thing.. And its cool to have all these great specs.on the rezound..but animations and app drawer on the rezound are just not snappy and choppy. And ive seen rzr and rezound benches and my bionic runs side by side not to mention rezound is stupid thick.. And have u seen it with extended battery? Looks like my old tbolt. Lol. They're all good phones with great hardware.. i realize bionic has been giving people data problems.. i personally have had zero. And the patch is so close to dropping. I truly think most of time people are thinking that the bionic is dropping data its not the phone it's verizon working on the network.. i mean how many nationwide outages has there been since 4g launched? five ... six?? More locally im sure... all three are great phones ..but dont come on here bashing bionic cuz u were expecting the all mighty vigor and got the rezound instead...bionic is beast. And i cant tell u how many ppl have complemented me on the phone.. but in the end we're all on the same team.. bash the iflop instead. Hahah. Cheers for good dual core droids for all.

YES. :rating10:

They are all great phones. all have goods and bads.

Last edited:

didiwags

Reaction score
Well all I know is when comparing my rezound to my brother in laws bionic. I had far better reception, kept my signal while his was always dropping to 3g. He had to reboot his phone twice while he was at my house. The difference in the screen was very noticable too. Mine was by far better.
Everyone is going to like one phone more then others. My droid X was a great phone, but htc is far better. The biggest issue I had with my X was in fact Motorola.

Sent from my Rezound

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Well all I know is when comparing my rezound to my brother in laws bionic. I had far better reception, kept my signal while his was always dropping to 3g. He had to reboot his phone twice while he was at my house. The difference in the screen was very noticable too. Mine was by far better.
Everyone is going to like one phone more then others. My droid X was a great phone, but htc is far better. The biggest issue I had with my X was in fact Motorola.

Sent from my Rezound

How could u love x... and hate bionic.. when bionic is x ob steroids and a better screen.. more ram. More everything. Its weird. I had the exact opposite experience.. while the wifeys rezound sometimes showed more service... my bionic held 4g 3 minutes longer as we drove out if 4g land. Idk. They r both good phones.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're such different devices and different experiences with different pluses and minuses, it really comes down to preference.

don't forget about that! :)

cp24eva

Reaction score
So I was at the store doing side by side comparisons to my rooted bionic, and I dunno man, for some reason I like the Rezound better. although the screen transitions on the Rezound were choppy at time, that can probably be fixed with using a different launcher. But I was testing out internet speeds, apps, camera use, youtube videos, etc. The rezound seemed to be better. Then again I do have more apps loaded onto my phone. but the camera was way better hands down. Took pics of the same person at the store and the pic on the rezound was way better. Youtube videos showed up quicker and looked better than the screen door look on the bionic. And it took FOREVER for my bionic to get in and out of the camera. And it still was doing the damned auto focus thing that rarely works. I'm very close to making a drastic move to sell and then buy that rezound. I will go to the store later on today to play with it some more.

I want to know the bad about the phone though. Reviews always talk about the good, which what most phone features should be, but I want to know about why I SHOULDN'T buy the rezound rather than why I should.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to know the bad about the phone though. Reviews always talk about the good, which what most phone features should be, but I want to know about why I SHOULDN'T buy the rezound rather than why I should.
  • Screen gets washed out easier in bright light or sunlight
  • As you mentioned, the occasional lag or choppiness for lack of a better term
  • Some don't like HTC's build quality, but that's subjective
  • That silly VZW Media Backup thing
  • Beats - I know that's odd, but I think it's a gimmick. It doesn't sound any better to me than the "media effects" options on the Bionic & Razr, and they work system-wide, vs. Beats which is only on the stock music player. Yes it's a decent pair of headphones, but any headphones besides the cheapest of the cheap sound good when pushed into your ear, and it appears to me that all the Beats phones do is make sure they seal off the sound to get that effect.
  • Thickness - again, subjective, especially since it's more ergonomic.
  • Sense vs ...whatever?
Only real negatives I've found so far...

cp24eva

Reaction score
  • Screen gets washed out easier in bright light or sunlight
  • As you mentioned, the occasional lag or choppiness for lack of a better term
  • Some don't like HTC's build quality, but that's subjective
  • That silly VZW Media Backup thing
  • Beats - I know that's odd, but I think it's a gimmick. It doesn't sound any better to me than the "media effects" options on the Bionic & Razr, and they work system-wide, vs. Beats which is only on the stock music player. Yes it's a decent pair of headphones, but any headphones besides the cheapest of the cheap sound good when pushed into your ear, and it appears to me that all the Beats phones do is make sure they seal off the sound to get that effect.
  • Thickness - again, subjective, especially since it's more ergonomic.
  • Sense vs ...whatever?
Only real negatives I've found so far...

That screen washout thing COULD be an issue. I believe with this Bionic I don't have issues in sunlight.
The build quality of HTC phones is what I like. Its adds a decent amount of weight that I know the phone is in my pocket.
Beats is probably a gimmick that people pay for. I myself have two sets of beats headphones anyways (buds and over ear) so those stock buds I'd give to the GF.
Stock launchers are never an issue for me because I go to adw or golauncher anyways.

That screen thing seems to be one of the major issues to me, but it's not a functional type deal. The phone would still work.
Another thing that is a turnoff about the rezound in the extended battery. That thing is UUUUUUG - U - LYYYYYY!. Well, lookin at the pics it looks that way. Seems to make it even more unsightly than the TB extended battery.

With the bionic rooted, i'm having the least amount of issue. Still some lag and still data drops. Still random sound glitches, and that damn pentile display. That kind of annoyed me more so after doing side by side with the rezound. before I tried not to pay attention to it.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean... but the pentile makes it very readable outside. No perfect answer I'm afraid!

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I will say the Beats headphones seem silly until you feel the quality of them. At any store, you are still looking at $50-$100 for a comparable set, so they do add value.

I love the weight of the Rezound. Feels much closer in my hand to my OG and I like that. The battery is an issue, but I'm sure they will come up with some compromise at some point.

What i do not like so far is
my battery life.
having to turn off syncing all together vs just one or two apps that require syncing
screen brightness, though it is truly amazing to look at.
Damn screen already has a few scratches.
Uses a TON of data... Already used 1/2 gig in 3 days and that is little to no music or movies/tv. By comparison my heavies usage with my OG was maybe 3 gigs in a month.

What I like
This thing will sync anything and everything and you have more options for your phone book.
the Sense places all the stuff your contact sends you into one spot to see what they have said to you or posted last
The feel and snappiness. it is quick for sure and the 4g gets better reception for me than i got with 3g on my droid at work.
Much better camera than what I was used to. it is so fast and sharp. I love it.
OMG 4g is so freaking fast... Apps download and install in no time.
Call clarity and loudness is nice
beats headphones when calls are made are super clear.
dual LED for camera is super bright (helps the camera above)
I haven't run into an app yet that doesn't work, though I found one or two that freeze from time to time... Zedge for one, though i have downloaded 60+ ringtones.

cp24eva

Reaction score
so, I KINDA found a way to get out of my droid bionic and into a rezound (which is going to be at my doorstep this Wednesday) I called verizon and basically told them that I had the bionic since launch and that they sent me a replacement and that I don't want anymore bionics sent to me. He forwarded me to the warranty and loyalties department and i talk to a guy who said the most he can do is get me into a new phone for the price of the 2 year contract price and at the same time my contract starts over pretty much. Now I have the option of selling it back to them for a horribly low price, or i go ebay/craigslist this phone and get most of my money back for it. Verizon would by my phone back for......$112. Are you kidding me? So anyways, I saw a few bionics out there for sale between 250-350 bucks. Used. So should be in good shape...I hope.

Edit: went to the store with the GF and played with it again and did more side by side comparisons....and the bionic just came up short. Pics quality was better, video quality was better, and now hopefully I get steady data and get rid of some of those other glitches.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also check out Swappa.com to sell your Bionic. Then you can link to it over on Android.net.

--
sent from my phone

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Hopefully that restarted contract includes unlimited data. This 4g is insane. Already a gig of use in 5 days, with streaming video for 10 minutes.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately I upgraded to the 4GB plan recently. Does it eat through that much data? There has to be some background programs running or something. I noticed on your other thread about your battery life you were having issues. These could possibly be linked. Have you tried calling tech support? (Even though you and I probably know more than tech support does)

@jntdroid, thanks for the tip. Heading over now to see whats up.