Remove your SIM card!

theory87

Reaction score
It's fairly common knowledge that when using the Droid Pro or another VZW global phone at home in the states, one should set the phone to CDMA mode to preserve battery life. I've always done so with my pro, but every once in a while I would notice my battery draining faster than usual and discover that the phone had switched itself back to Global mode.

So, a couple days ago I decided to see what would happen if I just took out the SIM card altogether. When you remove the SIM, the phone stays in CDMA mode (in fact, it won't even let you manually switch to Global) and normal functionality is not impaired. I could be imagining it, but my battery life also seems noticeably better. My thought is that that with the SIM card removed, the phone is unable to even look for GSM networks. Just make sure you put the SIM in a safe place in case you ever travel.

Hope this helps someone!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I had heard without the SIM card it wouldn't work at all. Maybe that's just on the Tbolt. Another plus for Moto if its true.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
T

theory87

Reaction score
Must not be true for the Pro. I have had no trouble making calls, sending/receiving texts, or using data.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Good tip for Droid pro and probably D2G owners at least.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
T

theory87

Reaction score
Yup, especially since my understanding is that the D2G shares the Pro's battery woes.

google123

Reaction score
I reverse the SIM card to make the phone think its not there but keep it there to keep from losing it.....

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

jhumbo

Reaction score
I've always done so with my pro, but every once in a while I would notice my battery draining faster than usual and discover that the phone had switched itself back to Global mode.

I do not have this problem with my Pro. I switched it to CDMA three months ago and it is still set to CDMA only. I've been very pleased with the battery savings and haven't had to think about it since I changed the setting months ago. I wonder why yours is switching itself back to Global mode.

tennvol

Reaction score
Mine switches back too.

Never thought of reversing the sim card though.

Sadly it looks like ill be leaving my pro at home when I travel to the uk next month since the price of data is sky high on gsm carriers there compared to the blackberry :(

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App