Recovery & Bootstrap?

Reaction score
The last few nights I have been researching the whole idea of flashing ROMS. I thought I was very familiar with it after having my D1 for 2 years and flashed nearly every ROM created. After looking through all the D3 options, I am very confused.

From what i've seen, just on hashcodes blogspot itself he has 3 different bootstraps? (safestrap, stock cm bootstrap, and original non-stock boostrap). There is also a bunch of different recovery options. This doesn't even include Koush's bootstrap..

After researching all of the ROM options it seems as though some of these ROMs only allow for specific combinations of recoveries or bootstraps.

Can anyone breakdown the whole recovery/bootstrap dilemma here so I am a little less mind-boggled? Are all of these bootstraps just previous versions and one is the final? are they all used for different purposes/ROMs?

Any info would be great!

ndoren

Reaction score
Well, coming from the D1, you need to change your thinking a bit. Unlike the D1, the D3 has a locked bootloader. Thus, the D3 init sequence has to be hijacked, so to speak, to trick the phone into booting into recovery. So, the D3 requires two separate concepts: That of the bootstrap, and that of CWM recovery. In other words, on the D3, you need a software bootstrap installed to get into recovery. Of course you need recovery flashed, too.

So, for the most part, ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is CWM. The differences lie in the bootstrap.

The very first bootstrap was Hash's, which has since been abandoned. It didn't allow entry into CWM from a cold-start (power up) reboot, but only from within his bootstrap app on a fully functioning phone. Not good for a soft brick. A great first effort, but it's now merged with Koush's bootstrap. Unfortunately, in the event you installed Hash's original bootstrap, you have to be sure to remove Hash's bootstrap before using Koush's, or you have problems. That old original Hash bootstrap isn't around anymore I don't think, so unless you jumped on the bandwagon the first two days that bootstrapper was invented, you don't have to worry about this issue. Update: wrong! Do NOT install any bootstrap mentioned in any droid-life articles. That's the original Hash bootstrap. Bad!

Now, there is a bit of confusion here, in that the newer Koush's bootstraps have been implemented by Hashcode. Thus, you have to understand that Hash's original bootstrap is different than Hash's implementation of Koush's bootstraps. Clear as mud?? :)

So, at present, there are two Koush bootstraps provided by Hashcode. The first is the Droid 3 bootstrapper, available in the market, which has the same problem as Hash's original bootstrapper, in that it doesn't allow access to CWM from a cold-start power up condition. However, it is compatible with Rom Manager, which the original Hash bootstrapper wasn't. Again, whether you enter CWM from Rom Manager, or from within the bootstrapper app, you obviously need a fully functioning phone. Not good if you've bricked.

Finally you have what Hash calls the "tweaked" Koush bootstrapper (from his website), which allows you access to CWM from either Rom Manager, the bootstrapper app, or if the phone's bricked, from from a cold boot using BP tools (fastboot menu: power up + M on keyboard). It's the best of all possible worlds. It also has some tricks that allow a bootlooping phone to enter CWM automatically via the use of a semaphore that's set and released strategically as the phone is booted and once it functional.

The Safestrap bootstrapper is ONLY for those wanting to boot the CyanogenMod ROM. It uses a different technique, something called a "sandbox" which keeps the original ROM intact. It's kind of like being able to dual boot your phone. Eventually, CyanogenMod will be booted with the same method as the other ROMS.

All that being said, it boils down to really three choices:
1) Use the safestrap bootstrap for booting the CyanogenMod ROM only.
2) Use the D3 bootstrapper in the market for everything else, including ROMs other than CyanogenMod, and for using Rom Manager and making NANDROID backups.
3) Use the tweaked D3 bootstrapper available from Hash's website, which does all described in 2), as well as allowing entry from
a cold boot via fastboot BP tools.

As Hashcode points out, the bootstrapper is stored on /system and can be overwritten when a new ROM is installed. So, whenever changing ROMs, realize that the appropriate bootstrap will likely have to be reinstalled.

Also REMEMBER that this discussion has been all about the bootstrapper. However, the Droid 3 bootstrap app DOES install CWM 5.0.2.6 as well. Or you can install CWM from Rom Manager. However, ROM Manager does not install the bootstrap. You need both to have an effective alternative recovery. :)

Hope this helps more than it hurt :) Neall

Corrections inserted above: 1) Hash points out in his blog that the bootstrap app does install CWM. 2). Do not install any bootstrap mentioned in (or referenced to) the droid-life article on D3 bootstrap. That's the original (outdated) Hash bootstrap.

Last edited:

pistacio

Reaction score
Thank you! All that info will help when the time comes to flash. I too was a flash junkie on the D1 and was finding it difficult to follow all the " strap" lingo. For now, the debloated stock rom has been functioning well for me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
@ndoren, that was superb. Thanks. :) Probably should move your explanation to a sticky!

-Matt

ndoren

Reaction score
My pleasure. I think a lot of confusion arises from reading Hash's blog, in that it was built gradually day by day, with independent thoughts per day, and therefore it's not very coherent or organized. So, reading it all at once is a bit overwhelming and confusing. That's not a criticism of his blog... he's brilliant and all the information that you need is there. It's just that I was lucky enough to have followed the process as it unfolded, so it was easier for me to track and explain here. Of course, that initial development frenzy has slowed down, and we have good bootstraps, but obviously things will change. Hopefully we can keep track of that here. Neall

Calen

Reaction score
How Version

Hi!

Sorry for the bad English (i will going to stop write this) but i read and a have a a Question.

I have install the unnoficial bootstrap version 0,87 but in the recovery image screem is show this: CWM Based Recovery v4.0.1.5, and i have download the applicqation from here: Unofficial DROID 3 ClockworkMod Recovery Released

And in a post up i read the correct versios is 5.0.2.6...if this is true then the version that i have install es the first version hashcode version and if my phone goes out my recovery don´t works ?

IF yes i have a problem, because i have a XT860 Milestone 3, and here in Brasil we don´t have acess a ROM or a Custom Rom, and then i don´t going to install the last bootstrap from hashcode.

Somebody can answer my question ?

In the Rom section i ask if an XT862 rom works on the XT 860 and nobody replay...and if not, the 4g droid 3 works ?

And the Bootstrap will works ?

P

spillner

Reaction score
I was wondering about this as well. I'm used to flashing roms on my OG Droid and have no idea what bootstrap is. Does this act like Nandroid backup? Is their any chance of someone posting a video of how to use this in conjunction with flashing Steeldroid?

Edit: Nevermind, some further digging answered my questions.

Last edited:

ndoren

Reaction score
Hi!

I have install the unnoficial bootstrap version 0,87 but in the recovery image screem is show this: CWM Based Recovery v4.0.1.5, and i have download the applicqation from here: Unofficial DROID 3 ClockworkMod Recovery Released

This is Hash's original bootstrap, and the one that is no longer supported. With it installed you can get to CWM from within this app, or from BP tools at the startup quick boot menu (power up + M). It is not compatible with Rom Manager, and it can NOT be used to flash new ROMS. Basically, its use is limited to making nandroid backups. If this works for you, then fine... stick with it. However, if you wish to install the market version, you absolutely MUST remove this bootstrap first. Remove the bootstrap from within the application (there is an option when you run it), then delete the application itself. If you do NOT do this first, but instead you install and run the market version, your phone will NOT boot anymore. At that point, you'll have to reflash the phone from scratch using the SBF and RSDLite, because you'll be bricked. I'm guessing Hashcode wishes this version and the media references to it would disappear. No one needs to be installing it anymore. Neall

Calen

Reaction score
Thancks a lot for the replay...

Then i can unistall this version of bootstrap ?? Somebody says not, ohhhhh thancks again.

But how I uninstall the bootstrap completely ? I don't know.. Just in the other page somebody write only installing other Rom for erase the bootstrap...

And my problem is sbf/Rom files, in Brasil Motorola don't put any rom for download, and i don't have any rom for the XT860...then how i can uninstall my Bootstrap and after install the last version ?

XT 860 and 862 are compatibles ? I can flash a XT860 with a XT862 ROM ?

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You cannot use an SBF from another phone. It may work with limited function at best or brick your phone at worst.

Calen

Reaction score
Ok Guidot.

I apreciate the suport and I knew it, but i try to ask...

In reality i'm confused. Always viseted EUA's forum to download and read news about STBs and phones, but now my phone exist only in Brasil and China....and i don't instal a rom in mandarim...$&#E%¨*%&%%*&

Now i know that i never can install a custom rom of droid forum,... i'm very disapointed.

Somebody have a good idea ?

Last thinck, How and why in Koush's Bootstrap we have to do this: Anytime after flashing a ROM you must go back in and use the "Bootstrap Recovery" button to update the hijack back to this version.

In this bootstrap we can flash all roms (not CM7) and backups ? Or only our backups ?

And the Droid 3 Safestrap (Bootstrap / Recovery) is only for CyanogenMod 7 Builds or for all Roms and the CM7 ?

Thancks a lot for all !!!

Last edited:

ModLife

Reaction score
another question

why isnt this whole process of NANDroid backups and ROMS and 'straps' all explained CLEARY in a ROM thread....i of course am not the man for this....i have tried for 3 days to do a nandroid backup to no avail until today...(i have to wait to get home to actually do this tho) and i am just learning that i HAVE to have a strap???? and where are the links to all of these straps???....i am so lost....and my D3 is starting to act a wee bit retarded because of all the crap i have installed(possibly incorrectly).....HELP:hail:

Dad23Boys77

Reaction score
Ndoren, thanks for the guide. That actually cleared up a lot things for me as I to had been reading about all these different boostrappers and safestap as well. My question is this for you is this. I have what my phone shows as "Droid 3 Bootstrap" but I'm not sure which Bootstrap version I have installed. Sorry, but I cant remember where I installed it from.

If this helps, when I boot into CWM using the Droid 3 Bootstap it says "clockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6." And when I power up my phone and hold the "M" key down, I boot into something called the Boot Mode Selection Menu. I'm assumiing this is the fastboot menu?!?