Recovery and ROM questions

Mr.Cookie

Reaction score
Just have a few questions. I was under the assumption that roms were full system software. My question then is why steeldroid says you have to be on 5.6.890? I'm guessing it just patches\replaces files that currently exist. Is this correct?

My other question is about the recoverys. I have ROM Manager installed and installed CWR through the application. I then used Hashcodes tweaked bootstrap and hit the bootstrap recovery button. Does this replace the ROM manager CWR or just make it bootable?

The reason I ask is that I was playing around with flashing some stuff knowing I could always do a nandroid restore and be back to the way it was if something went bad. I flashed v4 of Jewremy mods and really liked the mods but wasn't happy so flashed monster rom over top. I did not wipe. I really liked the rom but it was missing the lockscreen in Jewremys mod so I flashed v4 on top of monster. This destroyed the notification bar but it did boot. I decided I would do a restore and be done fiddling for the night so I tried to enter recovery using bptools. the recovery did not load and the phone just fully booted. I then went into hashcodes bootstrap and hit bootstrap recovery. Rebooted through bptools and got recovery. The bad part is all my restores started but would fail about halfway through. Google results mostly pointed to different recovery versions used between making the backup and restoring it.

So is there a difference in the recovery's? Why did I loose the bootstrap on a rom flash? I guess its a good thing I didn't brick or boot loop....

My phone seems to function OK even though it said restore failed but I'm not sure what is all messed up. I just want to do a restore that finishes so I can feel safe again.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Just have a few questions. I was under the assumption that roms were full system software. My question then is why steeldroid says you have to be on 5.6.890? I'm guessing it just patches\replaces files that currently exist. Is this correct?

the kernel on the D3 is still locked down tight. It's not quite full system software because the kernel is unchangeable still, but it's close.

My other question is about the recoverys. I have ROM Manager installed and installed CWR through the application. I then used Hashcodes tweaked bootstrap and hit the bootstrap recovery button. Does this replace the ROM manager CWR or just make it bootable?

I don't think it replaces it but rather gives you another options. It may be that because you have two CWM's installed they are conflicting. Be sure to get the CWM from hash-of-codes.blogspot.com. It's a version of Koush's recovery that will with through BP Tools.

The reason I ask is that I was playing around with flashing some stuff knowing I could always do a nandroid restore and be back to the way it was if something went bad. I flashed v4 of Jewremy mods and really liked the mods but wasn't happy so flashed monster rom over top. I did not wipe. I really liked the rom but it was missing the lockscreen in Jewremys mod so I flashed v4 on top of monster. This destroyed the notification bar but it did boot. I decided I would do a restore and be done fiddling for the night so I tried to enter recovery using bptools. the recovery did not load and the phone just fully booted. I then went into hashcodes bootstrap and hit bootstrap recovery. Rebooted through bptools and got recovery. The bad part is all my restores started but would fail about halfway through. Google results mostly pointed to different recovery versions used between making the backup and restoring it.

So is there a difference in the recovery's? Why did I loose the bootstrap on a rom flash? I guess its a good thing I didn't brick or boot loop....

My phone seems to function OK even though it said restore failed but I'm not sure what is all messed up. I just want to do a restore that finishes so I can feel safe again.

It might be time to ADB back to stock and start over. It'll give you a solid base to begin experimentation again. First steps after going back to stock and getting rooted would be installing hashcoades version of CWM, make a back up and recover it to be certain it's a working recovery file.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

OP
M

Mr.Cookie

Reaction score
Very informative! Leaves me with a few other questions. Since the kernel is locked does that mean the sbf files do not over write it? Is it in its own partition/mount point/flash chip? Im assuming there are a few flash chips so that recovery and the main system are stored separately. If not what does this mean for wiping? Obviously this leaves us with the possibility of a serious brick.

Also you said adb back to stock. Is this the same as sbf or fastboot? Never used it but I get the idea. Are all these terms the same? I miss the openness and easy days of my D1.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Since the kernel is locked does that mean the sbf files do not over write it? Is it in its own partition/mount point/flash chip? Im assuming there are a few flash chips so that recovery and the main system are stored separately. If not what does this mean for wiping? Obviously this leaves us with the possibility of a serious brick.
Yes, I does mean that sbf files do not overwrite the kernel. I'm honestly not sure where the kernel is stored or how it's secured. I've heard talk of "keys" that grant access to the kernel but Motor/Verizon (not sure who at this point) won't give them up. To be clear, they are Motor's keys, I think Big V is pulling the purse strings. The kernel is safe from wiping, without access to the kernel you can't wipe it. That would take a hardware failure or large magnet. :)

Also you said adb back to stock. Is this the same as sbf or fastboot? Never used it but I get the idea. Are all these terms the same? I miss the openness and easy days of my D1.
So ADoBe is the software you install on your PC along with appropriate drivers to put the sbf file back on your phone...returning it to stock.

Sent from my SteelDroid D3 (2.0) and TapaTalk

bdholsin

Reaction score
Ok, I'm kicking myself for even having to ask this...how do I install the bootstrap? I'm rooted and have ROM Manager installed.

I'm coming from an original Droid that was rooted and highly customized. I'm just a bit lost with this D3 right now.

Thanks.

bdholsin

Reaction score
Ok, I figured it out. Had to hit "update" in Astro to see the file on root directory. Clicked on the file and it installed. Nandroid, here I come.