Rebooting After Updated Software

Bert2e

Reaction score
Hope?

Try this too:

In more detail:
1) With the phone on, unmount the SD card: Menu > Settings > SD & phone storage > under 'Utilities', tap 'Unmount SD card'. Give it a minute or so to complete.
2) After the SD card has been unmounted, power-OFF the phone.
3) Remove the phone's back cover, remove the SD card.
4) With no SD card inserted, power the phone back ON.
5) The phone should power on okay, although apps or widgets that require the SD card may not work properly. So I would recommend doing this when you don't need your phone for anything important.
6) Let the phone sit through the 2 AM time. When I did this the 1st time, my phone's screen lit up at 2 AM, but did not reboot :) Then the screen goes dark as usual, and all is well.
7) The next morning, power-OFF the phone, insert back the SD card, and turn on the phone.

For about a week now my phone has not had any auto reboots.

Good luck!

Well... I used Purplecrab8's process last night and... no "Droiding"!!! For the first time in what seems like forever my phone behaved. I guess we'll see what it does over the next week. I'll report back with my experience.

SchoolyardBully

Reaction score
Bought my phone used on Ebay.
Received Friday, activated Saturday.
Allowed software update at time of activation.
Drooooid started Saturday night at 3:45 AM
again this morning at the same time.
Currently 5:32 AM Monday morning.

Pulled SD card out. Inserted into adapter and into my PC.
Let PC "import" photos and set to also delete from SD card.
83 BS "stock photos"
Inserted SD card back into phone and all seems well.
Did this at 4:30 AM.

No, I did not safely remove SD card. Pulled while phone was on. Re inserted while phone was on also.

Bert2e

Reaction score
Woohoo!

Well... I used Purplecrab8's process last night and... no "Droiding"!!! For the first time in what seems like forever my phone behaved. I guess we'll see what it does over the next week. I'll report back with my experience.

I'm happy to report that, after several days, removing the SD card for a night seems to have worked for me. All I did was delete a couple of rarely used apps, unmount and remove the SD card before my regular-as-clockwork 2am Droiding, plug my DINC in for the night, replace the SD card in the morning... and I have been wake-up free for a while now! so maybe it was an app or the SD card that was causing my issue. All I know is: unmounting (I didn't reformat or move anything off) the card for one night seems to have fixed a problem I've been having for a month now.

Thanks to all of you for the good info to read at 3am when my phone/alarm clock wouldn't let me sleep. Nice to know I wasn't alone in my frustration! Good luck, all!

tatt2d4art

Reaction score
same thing

The phone keeps restarting on me as well around 2am. It is quite obnoxious and it would be nice if a solution was available for this issue with the phone. This is my first smart phone and I did like it. After having to factory reset in order to perform the update and then the restarting after the update started occurring it is seriously making me rethink the whole smart phone choice. I may just go back to simple phones if this is going to be the outcome.

mrs.hook113

Reaction score
I did as suggested and removed my SD card. Also cleared the cache on my phone with the power and volume down buttonson about Sept 5. Left the phone overnight, then re-inserted the SD card the next morning. Today is Oct 2 and I have only had ONE night of DROOOIIIIIIID happen. It only went DROOOIIIIID once on that night (about 2-3 days later). Love getting a full night's sleep. Hope this works for more of you as well. Thanks to these forums, I have resolved both problems with my phone, without doing a factory reset, and without having to swap my phone.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
UNMOUNT THE SD CARD OR GET A NEW ONE WORKED FOR ME!

Hope it helps!

orangeflame08

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Since I use my phone as an alarm clock, I just ended up putting the phone on silent and turned it face down on the nightstand. I don't think it's doing it anymore. Back when it did, I would have to change my location settings back to normal. I haven't had to do that in a long time. My advice to anyone with this issue, just let it ride it's course. If you depend on it for an alarm, the alarm still sounds if the phone is turned to vibrate.

rob944

Reaction score
The 2 AM wake up

The phone is automatically reprograming/optimizing. Anyway it's VERY annoying.

SOLUTION: Place phone where it can't be heard at night, plug it it in, and let it do its thing for a few nights. The "problem" will cure itself when it's done.
This does work. If you want to keep phone handy, download Quick Settings and turn off all sound and system volumes.

jessa

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok. So. I had been putting off updating for about a month, and then finally updated around three weeks ago. The day after updating, my phone rebooted like five times in a row, and then shut off and became unresponsive. Couldn't turn it off or on, just a black screen. I let the battery run out and then charged it, and it was fine after that.

Ever since then it has been rebooting sporadically, but usually only once and usually while I'm getting ready to hop into bed, so it hasn't really affected me so much. Until today! Well last night more specifically. Around 3:30 in the morning, it suddenly started rebooting again, but it only got to the "HTC: quietly brilliant" screen, and then the screen after that with the little Droid circle/eye/robot thing (like what our avatars to the left are). After this, it goes back to the HTC screen, the robot eye screen, the HTC screen, and so on. The screen brightness is also diminished - kind of like when you don't touch your phone screen for a while and the screenlight dims? It's like, that, no matter what I do.

It's been doing this for hours now. I've tried turning it off, pressing buttons, but nothing, it just keeps doing its little half-reboot cycle. This is especially annoying because I am expecting several calls today about Thanksgiving travel arrangements that I really need to receive...

Right now I have it unplugged, and I'm just gonna see if letting the battery drain and then recharging it will help.

If you have any suggestions, that would be great...I'll be stopping by a Verizon store in about three days just to ask them about the problem (even if it's fixed itself by then), but I won't have the chance before then.

purplecrab8

Reaction score
@Jessa, have you tried removing the SD card the next time your phone is off?

Bert2e

Reaction score
SD card fix

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok. So. I had been putting off updating for about a month, and then finally updated around three weeks ago. The day after updating, my phone rebooted like five times in a row, and then shut off and became unresponsive. Couldn't turn it off or on, just a black screen. I let the battery run out and then charged it, and it was fine after that.

Ever since then it has been rebooting sporadically, but usually only once and usually while I'm getting ready to hop into bed, so it hasn't really affected me so much. Until today! Well last night more specifically. Around 3:30 in the morning, it suddenly started rebooting again, but it only got to the "HTC: quietly brilliant" screen, and then the screen after that with the little Droid circle/eye/robot thing (like what our avatars to the left are). After this, it goes back to the HTC screen, the robot eye screen, the HTC screen, and so on. The screen brightness is also diminished - kind of like when you don't touch your phone screen for a while and the screenlight dims? It's like, that, no matter what I do.

It's been doing this for hours now. I've tried turning it off, pressing buttons, but nothing, it just keeps doing its little half-reboot cycle. This is especially annoying because I am expecting several calls today about Thanksgiving travel arrangements that I really need to receive...

Right now I have it unplugged, and I'm just gonna see if letting the battery drain and then recharging it will help.

If you have any suggestions, that would be great...I'll be stopping by a Verizon store in about three days just to ask them about the problem (even if it's fixed itself by then), but I won't have the chance before then.

Removing the SD card, then replacing the card after the update worked for me -- and many others. My phone has been working great for the last few months. I sure don't miss that 'droiding' at 2:05 am!

vey

Reaction score
I froze the backup assistant. I will see if this works.

UPDATE:

Didn't do a bit of good. I stayed up and pulled the SD card when the rebooting started at 2am on the dot. Left it out until 4 and put it back in. That seems to have fixed it.

Last edited: