Second Part of Gingerbread Update Phone Storage Low

boetw

Reaction score
So Yesterday morning I woke up to my incredible saying there was an update. Turns out it was the update to gingerbread but the software number was 4.06.605.3 and when I was doing some research and the build number is supposed to be 4.08.605.2 . Well last night I saw my phone had another software update I looked at it and it was the small update to the 4.08.605.2 build. I clicked the install and it did the reboot however it came up saying that the phone storage is low that I need to clear space and try again. So I bring up my manage app for storage and there's 555 MB free. So I removed an app that I didn't use anymore and that little symbol in the notification bar went away. However now when I try to update the software under update software in the about phone it says my system is currently up to date. However I know it's not because of the last software update that came in but said my phone is low on storage. Is there a way to get that last update back? I'm not rooted

Mendeldave

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. If you solve it, let me know. I'll keep researching and if I find anything I'll respond in kind.

~Dave

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people are having the same problems. Any notice that battery life is much worse. I'm in grad school and I have 3 hour classes before class I charged my phone where it was almost fully charged by the end of class last night the battery was indicating it was low or the color was orange...it's way way worse than before the update.

Mendeldave

Reaction score
I've read that others are having a battery issue too. I was worried about that night as I was at a track and relying on my phone to coordinate with my team mates. It SEEMED that the battery drained down pretty fast to the yellow, but then it never died and I forgot to charge it over night and it was still good in the morning. Now, I do have an extended life (same size) battery that I bought on Amazon and it already tends to last a LOOOOOT longer so that could be the issue for me and why mine was still live this morning.

My office is right next door to a Verizon store so I think I'll pop over there when I get a free minute this morning/afternoon... though a strong part of me things the visit will be in vain... I guess we'll see.

~Dave

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
I'll cross my fingers the visit is helpful and they know about all the fun we're experiencing :icon_eek:. After about 45 min after class my battery (just the original) was telling me it's time to be plugged in as it's down in the red. But hopefully if you do pop over they are more helpful than not.

wanabfishn

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Just glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I was excited to get the Gingerbread update & then not so happy when I noticed that my battery life is not so great. I'm going to contact VZW support. Will post if I learn anything.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a lot of people are having the same issues. I just sent off a long thing to HTC support to see what they have to say, if anything.

Mendeldave

Reaction score
Well, I went to the verizon store, and as I suspected they did not really know what to do. There was a guy at the counter right next to me with the same problem, same phone (Incredible, ha).

Anyway, long story short, they wiped my phone. Hopefully this will work. They claimed that the old update issue caused a download problem with the new update and my phone was thinking both updates were in there, taking up space and preventing my phone from doing any thing (syncing anything google-related or finishing the update).

It sucks, my phone is totally wiped. They were able to get my contacts back in for me (though I could have done that via gmail) and my pictures are back in there (they were stored on the card apparently). But every app and all my settings are gone. I can download everything again and anything I paid for will be free to re-download.

I asked for a credit because of the inconvenience and I got the usual "we don't have anything to do with hardware or software, just service" line but I was told they'd let me get any other phone and they would waive the usual charges since I'm not due for an upgrade (though I'd have to pay for the phone).

So, I'm gonna see if this wipe works and get everything back to normal. If it does not work, I dunno, maybe I'll go back to an iPhone though I left that for the Droid because it always had problems. I guess they all just suck.

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
Jeez that was helpful. You'll have to let us know if it works, when you did the wipe did it take you back to original 2.2 or are you still at 2.3.4? At least you have a backup you can always go back to my last phone was a blackberry that even after multiple factory resets still sucked I got rid of it but hopefully the wipe worked even tho having to go back and setting everything back up sucks.

Mendeldave

Reaction score
Well, as an update, my phone SEEMS to be doing fine now. It did give me a message that I needed to download new software (I THOUGHT that was done at the store, guess not). I decided to try it thinking I could go back next door to the store for another reset if needed, but the update worked (or it said it was successful).

Now I'm in the process of trying to get it back to how I had it. Luckily it's pretty easy to download everything I had from google but there is a lot of setting changes and such I'll need to do. Annoying but at least the issue seems to be resolved. I'll post again if something gets wonky.

Waltsm53

Reaction score
I found these instructions at the bottom of the software update steps on Veizon, but not working for me.

If the system update fails to install, you will get an error screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery and power the device back on. The device will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update.
If the update fails again, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/contactus .

wanabfishn

Reaction score
So I've been on contact with VZW support. Was told to *228 my phone & reprogram it, & then power off & on. Guess what, didn't work. So now I asked if they could repush the 4.08.xxx update. They are elevating my issue. Reviewing their Twitter feed, this is a common thread. Guess I get to wait & see, however some were told it can take 24-48 hours for the 4.08.xxx update to show up again. All o have to say is sooner would be better since the battery life issue is really aggravating.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
So I sent HTC an submission today and got a response back. This is what they told me to do:

Dear ,

I understand your device is basically going haywire with low storage errors and low battery life after updating. I know how important it is for your phone to work properly and I will be happy to assist. We need to try to get you on software number 4.08.605.2. This update is being pushed as rapidly as possible to all users. You can check for the update by going to home>menu>settings>software update>check new. If your phone shows up to date go to Home > Menu > Settings > Date & Time. Uncheck automatic date and time. Now set your month and year ahead by three or more, to about December 2014 or so. Now open open your phone dialer and enter this special code: *#*#2432546#*#* - you should see checkin succeeded at the top of the page. Now power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds, and power back up.If your phone shows as up to date please try the above steps again in about 72 hours. If you are unable to update at that time please reply to this ticket as I hope to have new information for you by that time.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC

So I tried and didn't work...so we shall see what happens 72 hours will be Saturday evening so we shall see

1larryw

Reaction score
Here is the fix for all the second update people who had their first attempt bork because of low space. and have not gotten another OTA announcement again.

Clear borked upload in cache
  1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"
You can now wait for the update to show up again or you can follow steps below to force an update check:

Please manually change the date on your phone to one year from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Uncheck Background data from settings menu under Accounts & Sync (don't really know if it makes a difference, but I did it anyway)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts (I had to do this about three or four times.) It went MUCH smoother over Wi-Fi

Caution...when clicking install and reboot, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed.

Last edited:

quibbley

Reaction score
Yup!

Worked like butter. Got the 4.08 the first try, thanks mate!