Low on Space message

corn

Reaction score
Did you delete dialer storage data?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

jblackfish

Reaction score
jblackfish do you use Dolphin browser?
I'm using the browser that came with it - I don't think it's Dolphin. All I can find is the Browser Version which is WebKit 3.1. I don't know what the name of my browser is.

I can't even run updates for my apps any more. If I try to exec an update for my Nook app it fails and the phone reboots itself! :icon_eek:

SubMatrix

Reaction score
Have you tried going to Manage Applications and sorting all your apps by size? If so, what are some of the biggest ones and how large are they?

jblackfish

Reaction score
Have you tried going to Manage Applications and sorting all your apps by size? If so, what are some of the biggest ones and how large are they?
Yep. Google Earth - 31+mb, Nook - 12mb, Adobe Flash - 12mb, Maps - 9.6mb, SKype 9+mb, Amazon Kindle - 7.7mb, etc.

I've tried moving eligible apps to SD card, deleting large apps, etc., but when my free storage is huge why would that help? Answer: it doesn't. I think it's a system problem - I never had this before upgrade to 2.2. (still confused)

SubMatrix

Reaction score
I would remove Google Earth if you don't use it. I had problems with this one before as well.

The key is that your free storage isn't huge. There is a dedicated partition for app data that is only like 150 MB. When this gets below 15MB you get the low space warning.

jblackfish

Reaction score
I would remove Google Earth if you don't use it. I had problems with this one before as well.

The key is that your free storage isn't huge. There is a dedicated partition for app data that is only like 150 MB. When this gets below 15MB you get the low space warning.
I'll remove G-Earth and reboot, see what happens. I've tried just about everything else. :roll: (How can Google Earth be a problem if I don't use it though? Non of this makes any sense. I've had Google Earth almost ever since I got the phone (almost a year) and I only had this problem for the past couple of months.

jblackfish

Reaction score
GUESS WHAT AND BLOW ME OVER! I deleted Google Earth, rebooted and my "low on space" msg went away - it may come back but that's the 1st time I've been able to get it to turn off in a LONG while. I've also been able to 1) update my other apps and 2) execute Google Talk for the 1st time in weeks.

Thanks, SubMatrix!

Goggle Earth seemed to be the culprit, at least for now. I wonder if Google Sky will be next. (I don't use it much either though.)

UPDATE: 'got to thinking about the free space for each app. I had cleared cache and data for Google Earth long before doing this. I wonder why that didn't take care of the problem? Oh well....

beansurg

Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. The only way I could get rid of the message was to uninstall Google Earth. Haven't had a problem since. Not sure why this app is a problem. Never even used it but once or twice so couldn't be too much data with it.

jblackfish

Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. The only way I could get rid of the message was to uninstall Google Earth. Haven't had a problem since. Not sure why this app is a problem. Never even used it but once or twice so couldn't be too much data with it.
I hardly ever used it either! You'd think that with all the vast amounts of memory on these Android phones something could be done in the system to allow a little more space for app data and/or, if you're going to have a "low on space" message it could AT LEAST tell you what the offending app is!!!!!!!! Still seems like a flaw in the Android system to me. :roll:

jblackfish

Reaction score
I should have known - my "low on space" message came back last night and now I don't have Google Earth to blame and get rid of this time! All I did, as far as I know was update a bunch of apps that I hadn't been able to do before. Trouble is, it didn't happened when I did that - it happened a day or so later! Bummer!!!!!!

beansurg

Reaction score
Unfortunately as far as I know no one has been able to increase the size of the data app partition. Why it is so small makes no sense (150 mb i believe). It would be nice if that memory usage was listed somewhere with the stock android system. I don't know if an app can display the info so we could at least monitor the usage.

jblackfish

Reaction score
Since I got this latest message I can't even access my Yahoo (sbcglobal) email account! When I try to go there all I get is a white screen; I can't back out of it and the emails NEVER come up. All I can do is press the home screen and go there. Clearing cache, clearing all app data, etc.... none of that changes it. I'm growing to hate this dam phone and the system it uses! The "hour glass" that I left BB for wasn't this frustrating - at least if I waited long enough the BB stuff came through - it was just slow a snail but it worked.

bobarry

Reaction score
Only solution I've found

Unfortunately as far as I know no one has been able to increase the size of the data app partition. Why it is so small makes no sense (150 mb i believe). It would be nice if that memory usage was listed somewhere with the stock android system. I don't know if an app can display the info so we could at least monitor the usage.

I've tried every suggestion of every forum and here's what I concluded.

1. Mine got so bad I had to do the 'hard reset'. I was able to restore about 90% of what I had. (Because I forgot what the other 10% was!)

2. I had tried 1TapCleaner, cleaning the cache and data - but learned that deleting the data removed DATA. So I quit that. It gives you an idea of the app size but doesn't tell you where it resides. (in /data/data for example).

3. I 'rooted' my Dinc. The 'easy method' didn't work, so I did the more extended procedure.

4. I got Root Explorer - Now I can see how /data/data is doing. I read problems starts when its free space gets down to 15mb. I started with 62 free and am down to 41mb now. I can see how much of this precious space is used by the apps now. Google Earth takes 14.7mb for example.

5. Whoops, I forgot to mention - be sure to run Advanced SD Card Manager to move as many of the apps to the SD card. It doesn't move all apps or even the entire apps there, by the way. Hence the big headache we are stuck with on our not-so-incredible Droid.

Nothing original here, but hopefully a summary of what will work for others.

comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

bo