Low on Space message

SM.Redneck

Reaction score
It has been weeks, since i installed Android Assistant, and hve not gotten the error. However, yesterday i installed Fancy Widget Clock and within hours got the error again. I uninstalled and have not gotten the error since.

As far as Lookout is concerned; it's the first app I installed and has never been an issue, I have heard of some people having issues with this app, but it has never given me problems.

parfu

Reaction score
Follow-up:
[I stopped at the local VZW store to look at upgrade choices and asked the dude about this problem. He said that EVERY phone he's seen with this msg problem has been running Lookout. He suggested uninstalling it. I can't recall if he said I'd also need to do a hard reset but I'm not sure I want to deal with that part. I may go ahead and uninstall Lookout and see what happens. Maybe that is where the glitch comes from and not VZW. Maybe.]

Uninstalled Lookout, moved more apps to SD card and installed cache cleaner (1Tap Cleaner Free). A day later the msg came back with a vengance - no Gmail and no text msg (could see incoming notice but couldn't open).

I then went to manage apps and started deleting apps I don't really use that were restarting themselves after force shutting. Not sure if it was the culprit but I noticed the msg was gone after uninstalling Netflix app. Been running good ever since. I guess it will be a week or so before I can say for sure.

parfu

Reaction score
I'm Calling B/S

I give up.
Msg was gone for a few days. I installed 2 new apps and msg came back. I uninstalled those apps and msg went away for most of the day. Then it came back - with a vengance: no updates allowed and texting blocked.

Went and deleted more apps and moved all available to SD card. Now I have the Low on Space message AND Not Enough Storage Space for SM (something - it's cut off on my screen but assume SMS) = says my phone's storage is almost full (versus low application space).

Internal Phone Storage Total = 6.60G Available = 6.41G
SD Card Total = 14.96G Available = 11.23G

This is ridiculous....

parfu

Reaction score
Reboot

Well, after moving all available apps to SD card, deleting others and then doing *228, option 2 (per another forum), my phone entered the boot-loop death spiral.

Only option was to restore phone. VZW dude was unaware of the low space issue. He did suggest I give HTC and/or Google a call if the msg comes back.

Thank goodness for AppBrain, Flickr, Ringdroid, Google/Gmail and the many other Apps that provide a smooth restore functionality.

If you're still getting the msg I suggest you make sure to back up all info before you end up having to reboot.

lhanson0851

Reaction score
Erasing messages seems to do the trick

Well I hope this sticks. I have erased several applications to no avail, then I erased messages. I erased over 700 messages and the message seems to be gone for now. After the issue went away, I went ahead and moved some Kindle books to archive. Hope I'm good for awhile.

Lisa

bobarry

Reaction score
Doing a hard reset is a pain!

I've been following this thread, trying all the recommended fixes, feeling the same frustrations as everyone, and finally had to do the hard reset/reloading thing.

I used MyBackupPro and it did a fair job. Some of the widgets/apps on the screens didn't restore (& I've forgotten what two of them were).

The game scores are GONE! I don't know what else didn't restore.

The low memory message (& super slow GMail) are gone now - for how long, who knows.

Does anyone know if this flaw was fixed for the Incredible2? If so I wonder if VZW will do a reasonable early replacement/upgrade?

Love my Droid, but my recent lockups really ticked me off. One was a complete/constant power OFF condition when removed from the charger. Next was a constant ON condition no matter what. Battery removal was required.

The lack of dependability is a big flaw in my opinion.

Bo

homefries24

Reaction score
Low on Space Message Fix

Noticed a posting about Netflix. Uninstalled and problem is no longer there. Thanks!

.ohms.

Reaction score
in the past few weeks I've flashed the following Roms and have ran them for an average of about 4 days each: warmZTwoPointTwo, virtuous, optimized z, magnolia, and I'm now on skyraider 4.0. On each rom I had 197 apps installed and less than 20 text msgs at the most. on each occasion I used a 16gb SD card with no less than 8 gb of free space. my internal SD storage was always at 6gb of free space. phone memory varied from 499-647mb free space. And the only time I had the "out of space" msg was when I was running magnolia. too bad because I really liked the themes available for that rom. I tried everything...even reset my internal storage and then factory reset and I was still getting the msg LOL! So I decided to just move on to skyraider...so far so good!:)

corn

Reaction score
It's your text messages. Everytime you send a text or especially pictures your phone is saving that in your application space. It's only about 775mb and it is also storing all of your apps and updates and their cache and settings etc. The texts are the best place to start.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

.ohms.

Reaction score
I just noticed that at the bottom of the titanium backup app there are 4 memory status bars. one for your System Rom; internal memory; internal eMMC; and SD Card. The System Rom memory is new to me but on my device it says 260 MB with 20.1 MB free. Yesterday I tried to download 2 apps and I got the little "out of space" message again. my internal memory reads 614 MB free of 748 MB. my internal reads 5.48 free of 6.93. so can someone please shed some light on what the System rom memory does as opposed to the internal memory?

jblackfish

Reaction score
I'm running an un-rooted Incredible for almost a year and a month or so ago I started getting this "low on space" message. I've read through this thread (as have many others) and tried everything that was mentioned that I knew how to do. DL' a ccleaner and Android Assistant too. I've been deleting a few apps here and there for weeks, all without fixing the "low on space" problem. I don't have some of the apps that were allegedly the problem (like Netflix) but the others that I had, I deleted. I've deleted texts, cleared cache, etc., etc.

Although I appreciate all the tips I've come to the conclusion that this is a a problem with the Android system - am I right? I'm currently

parfu

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's an Android issue, and HTC issue or a VZW issue. I'm leaning towards the latter 2 since this problem seemed to pop up about the same time for most of us.

Whatever the cause, I've been problem free since I had to reboot my Incredible. It wasn't my first choice of options but it certainly seems to have fixed the issue.

Just make sure you've backed up all your data and treasured stuff before doing so.

jblackfish

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's an Android issue, and HTC issue or a VZW issue. I'm leaning towards the latter 2 since this problem seemed to pop up about the same time for most of us.

Whatever the cause, I've been problem free since I had to reboot my Incredible. It wasn't my first choice of options but it certainly seems to have fixed the issue.

Just make sure you've backed up all your data and treasured stuff before doing so.
I failed to mention that I backed up and started over once before when I got this problem. The problem with that is, I can't backup everything (I forget what I lost before) unless I'm rooted and I haven't been willing to go to the trouble to do that. This is a most annoying problem to say the least. It's hard to believe (but true) that so many tech reps seem to be totally unaware of this issue and/or be able to solve it. It's appears to be a fairly common problem! Very frustrating! :mad:

parfu

Reaction score
I'm not happy to hear that you've already rebooted once and still had the problem. I'm hoping to avoid that again.

I use AppBrain which helped me to restore my apps and it looks like Flickr helped with photos. Several other apps were able to restore my info. I'm pretty sure all I permanently lost was text messages and any personalization. All in all not bad but definitely time consuming and frustrating. Also, didn't we used to only have 5 home screens? After rebooting I now have 7.

The only app I didn't reinstall was Lookout.

Hope we have smoother sailing going forward.

jblackfish

Reaction score
............... Also, didn't we used to only have 5 home screens? After rebooting I now have 7.

The only app I didn't reinstall was Lookout.

Hope we have smoother sailing going forward.
I think I've always had 7 home screens but it might have increased with 2.2 - not sure cuz I didn't use 'em that much at 1st.
I may try dumping Lookout - haven't tried that yet - to see if it does any good for me.

UPDATE: Just for the record deleting Lookout made NO difference. I haven't been able to make the "low on space" msg go away, even temporarily! Ever!