Rebooting After Updated Software

corymk

Reaction score
I have fixed one of the DInc phones by changing it over to Cyanogenmod 7.1.0. The other one has not been updated to the latest OTA that was causing all of these problems. Rooting and changing the ROM on this phone was not a very easy task but it was something that I was not about to quit on. It took some time but it is entirely possible to change to a more reliable ROM like Cyanogenmod to be able to keep using your Droid Incredible as I have found out myself.

The_Pericles

Reaction score
Hey there everybody, I just registered. I first starting getting nagged about this update at the same time my area was hit by a Dorecho. I knew a storm was coming and avoided the update, we got hit hard and lost power for seven days in 100+ degree heat. The only connection to the ouside while we were home was our Droids. I just kept stalling and for a while it kind of went away and stopped nagging me. Then last night, it came back and I hit update.

So, now I am in same boat with all of you. So let me spitball an idea in at ya...

After reading this great thread with all of you fine people, I went through my phone settings and noticed that when I went into settings -- accounts and sync. I checked into my Back-Up Assistant and it is BRAND NEW. It is asking me to OK a software agreement to activate it. When I try to do that, it asks me for my SECRET PIN # which I forgot, but I have at home I hope.

So, maybe at 2AM the back-up assistant, which is still somewhat alive (I imagine through my Gmail accounts) attempts to kick in, but then runs into the "non-activated" NEW Back-up assistant and crashes the phone which then attempts to reboot.

This NEW back-up assistant definitely came with the last update and I am always on Wi-Fi when I get home, so do any of you think this could be the issue? Have you actually checked out your BA's since the update.

Now there are two issues, first, I have to find my pin, second, is it true that BA shuts down your WiFi to put you on 3G to force data usage on you? If that second issue is true, then that just burns me up.

At any rate, if some of you can check your phones to see if you have NEW BA software, it might be a method to try. I am going to try and find my pin number now...

(I can't imagine what I would have done if I updated before we got hit by that crazy storm.)

Cheers,
P

RESULT: I am sad to report that activating the NEW BA did nothing. I did sleep though the "Droids" all night and I at first thought it worked. But then about 40 seconds after I stopped my alarm, it rebooted once again. I then turned down the ringer until 6am, which is when I think it stops rebooting.

What I don't understand is, if Verizon/HTC knew that this update was hosing their phones, why didn't they recall the update? I think I started getting mine in late May and it appears that this issue was around then.

Did we really need this update?

Last edited:

droidusertoo

Reaction score
UPDATE: IT'S BAAAAAAAACK! Two days ago, my phone started rebooting again around 2am. Interesting and quite odd. I have not called Verizon to speak with anyone about the issue yet. I also have not made any changes to my phone since the last update. *sigh* I have noticed that my phone locks up quite a bit now, I end up forcing apps to close. I still hold firm against a factory reset. I also have hope that Verizon will send those of us (even if we are a handful) an update to the software update that started this horrid reboot mess for all of us. I really like my Droid and have not had issues with Verizon service. Just wish they'd fix this reboot problem.....soon!

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I actually spent some time chatting with Verizon about this issue just the other day. They told me to do an FDR which I did (for the fourth time now). They also said that Advanced Task Killer should not be installed on the phone. So I did all that they wanted and guess what????? My wife forgot to turn down her ringer last night and it Droided all night. Guess that means it didn't work. When I have 3 -4 more hours of my life to waste I plan on calling them back and seeing what other super suggestions they have to offer. What really gets me is they act like I'm the only person on the planet that has this issue. I get the usual , well that's odd, no one else has complained about it. I actually told the rep to check out their own forum. People are on their talking about it as well...... Oh well, I think it is time to get her a new phone.......

KrisLaughs

Reaction score
thank god I'm not going crazy

Oh, I'm so glad to find this thread. I thought I was going crazy with the 2am "DROOOID" noise. Anyway, mine has been doing this for several weeks now. I've had wifi on. Still need to delete all the apps I can. One other thing: turning my phone off doesn't stop it. It turns itself right back on. and off. and on. It's like some sick possessed joke phone. The only way I've found to stop it overnight is to take the battery out completely or let it run our of charge. Anyone else having that issue?

Will clearly call Verizon and/or HTC on Monday.

Nyobie

Reaction score
I just bought an Incredible at the Verizon store and I have 2 weeks to decide whether or not I want to return it.

My question is whether or not this SW update will affect my phone. What version is affecting your phones for those of you experiencing the 2am Drooooid problem?

TatDroid

Reaction score
I believe the posts here are discussing OTA updates to their OG Incredibles (first generation). I'm pretty sure Verizon hasn't offered them for sale for quite a while now. Your Incredible 4G (I'm guessing that's what you just purchased) shouldn't share any of these issues.

Nyobie

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm new to the HTC Incredible so I don't know it's history and what changes have been made over time as new versions of the same line of phones have become available. HTC didn't do a very good job with the box. The main label says HTC Incredible, then on the small print on the side, it does say HTC Incredible 4G LTE so yep, that's what I have. I was a bit concerned that the Salesman at the VZ store actually sold me what I now know to be the first generation which you mentioned but I'm glad to find out it's not. I can't tell from this thread, if the problem others have described in this thread has been fixed or not and if it has been fixed, what was the fix so I'll keep my thread subscription as I'm curious to know how the issue was resolved if it even has been at this point. Thanks again for your help!

droidusertoo

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm new to the HTC Incredible so I don't know it's history and what changes have been made over time as new versions of the same line of phones have become available. HTC didn't do a very good job with the box. The main label says HTC Incredible, then on the small print on the side, it does say HTC Incredible 4G LTE so yep, that's what I have. I was a bit concerned that the Salesman at the VZ store actually sold me what I now know to be the first generation which you mentioned but I'm glad to find out it's not. I can't tell from this thread, if the problem others have described in this thread has been fixed or not and if it has been fixed, what was the fix so I'll keep my thread subscription as I'm curious to know how the issue was resolved if it even has been at this point. Thanks again for your help!

As far as I know, the issue has not been resolved. :frown: I'm still experiencing periodic 2am wake up yells from my ole buddy DROOOOOID. Recently I noticed my phone appears possessed and won't stay on the home screen, as if someone else is moving through the screens on my phone. This happens now and then.

I have not called Verizon specifically about this "reboot" issue, although I mention it each time I have a representative on the phone (have had to call recently about an odd e-mail message with my requested feature change---yet I've changed nothing)...Also noticed my battery is draining every day as if I'm attempting to run a smal country off of it. I'm patiently waiting for the new iPhone and have decided to become a traitor to my beloved Droid. In the meantime, I plug my phone in every night, silence it, flip it face-down on the nightstand and have sweet dreams.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
I to am going to wait for new iPhone as Apple had 90% of its users updated on new Rom within six months Android only 6% HTC I WISH YOU CARED AND VERIZON FU

orangeflame08

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems as everyone else. I know doing a factory reset is a pain, but I'm thinking of doing it. I just got this phone earlier in the week to replace my droid 2 that was having major issues, so I do not have much on the phone yet anyway. If I reset it, would that mean it would reset without the OTA update? If so, I just won't hit the "update" option when it popped up.

Mesentery

Reaction score
I followed the directions in this link, and by removing most of my apps it seems to have worked. Apparently one or more apps may be causing this, but there is no way to tell which one it is. This seems to have worked on both mine and my wives phones. Also, you can manually set the clock to 2:00 AM and set the day ahead to test if the reboot will start again.
Safe Mode - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC
:biggrin:

droidusertoo

Reaction score
ANOTHER UPDATE:
Yes, my phone (HTC Droid Incredible) is still at it (ever since I accepted the software update back around the 4th of July weekend). Last night I almost flushed the phone because I forgot to set it to silent and it was in such a crazy loop of restarting that I couldn't silence it. I called Verizon today and they gave me the phone number for HTC (866-449-5358). I called HTC and the gentleman I spoke with was not shocked and did not act like this was something new. He asked me to please hold while he brought up the page with some steps for me. This is what he suggested:
Menu
Settings
Accounts & Sync
Backup assistant
Schedule - Change time to every morning (6am-12pm)
Restart phone

Patiently wait for 2am (LOL)

As a side-note, I had never been in the Backup Assistant and had to accept the license agreement and create a pin. I debated forcing the phone to 2am but need to find a charger 1st....just in case! Hopefully this solves the issue. The HTC Rep indicated if it did not solve the problem, to please call back. 866-449-8358

Wishing good luck on my phone! :biggrin:

dragonfly_26

Reaction score
Fix?

So a big THANK you to everyone who's posted so far. I've been having the same 2am robooting problem for 3 days now, and my husband was ready to kill me. Due to some medical issues in our family, I keep my phone on all night so I can be reached in case of emergency. The DROOOOOID noice (which is useless AND annoying) is a real headache.

I tried calling Verizon today, and they were less than useless. Told me that the only fix was a factory reset. I told her I don't want to loose all my messages and apps and spend time re-installing everything (using up my data plan) because of THEIR software push. The conversation went no where.

Then I called HTC (866-449-8358) and spoke to a very friendly women. When I told her about the 2am rebooting, she mentioned that they had just received some instructions on how to try to fix the problem yesterday. She had me go into the Settings and click on Backup Assistant. Lo and behold, in my phone, this wasn't set up. So I set it up (you just need to enter a 4 digit pin and agree to their Terms and Conditions), and let it synch (took about 2 minutes). After that, she had me switch the synch time to 6am-12pm. She said that should hopefully fix it, and they'll call me in 24 hours to confirm.

After getting off the phone, I decided to test it out. I re-set my phone time to 1:59am, let the clock roll over, and NO REBOOT. I tried it twice to be sure, but I think HTC may have solved the problem. Try it yourself and see if this solves the issue.

In case anyone is curious, here is the link to the Droid Incredible software update page showing info on the update: DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC - Verizon - Support for HTC Cell Phones

purplecrab8

Reaction score
Try this too:

My Droid Incredible too had this recurring 2 AM reboot issue after I accepted the software update to 4.08.605.15 710RD. My Incredible is on Pageplus, so I could not even set up Backup Assistant since I don't have an account directly with Verizon. Anyways, I came across the following fix of removing the SD card in another forum (sorry I forgot which one), and it worked for me. So maybe it'll help you too.

I'd recommend trying these steps close to the 2 AM. Basically you'll unmount the SD card, power-OFF, then power-ON without the SD card, then let the phone sit through the 2 AM time slot. When I did this, my phone finally went through 2 AM without any reboot.

In more detail:
1) With the phone on, unmount the SD card: Menu > Settings > SD & phone storage > under 'Utilities', tap 'Unmount SD card'. Give it a minute or so to complete.
2) After the SD card has been unmounted, power-OFF the phone.
3) Remove the phone's back cover, remove the SD card.
4) With no SD card inserted, power the phone back ON.
5) The phone should power on okay, although apps or widgets that require the SD card may not work properly. So I would recommend doing this when you don't need your phone for anything important.
6) Let the phone sit through the 2 AM time. When I did this the 1st time, my phone's screen lit up at 2 AM, but did not reboot :) Then the screen goes dark as usual, and all is well.
7) The next morning, power-OFF the phone, insert back the SD card, and turn on the phone.

For about a week now my phone has not had any auto reboots.

Good luck!