Rebooting After Updated Software

droidusertoo

Reaction score
UPDATE: I too did not do a factor reset, did not delete any apps, but simply set the phone to silent. When the update 1st appeared for me, I initially asked it to remind me later. I did this a couple times before actually doing the update. I plug my phone in at night, every night. The 1st night after the update, it was 2am (central time) when my phone began the wonderful DROOOOID reboot. Every time it started, I grabbed the phone and played with it, thinking I would see what was causing the problem. This happened 2 nights in a row. I have no newly installed apps, and I didn't play with the wifi, internet or cache. By night 3, I simply set the phone to silent and let it run its course while I had Droid-free dreams. I've been using my phone since then with no issues at all. :)

Sunday night it woke me again but I didn't want to turn my phone off so I choose to silence it instead. Now my phone seems fine and I have used it normally (sound on alarm and all) for the last two nights. I read in one of the other forums to let it run its course a 2 am; I think maybe I did this without even knowing by putting it on silent that one night. No factory resets, no deleting apps or anything. Good luck, cant hurt to try.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
UPDATE: I too did not do a factor reset, did not delete any apps, but simply set the phone to silent. When the update 1st appeared for me, I initially asked it to remind me later. I did this a couple times before actually doing the update. I plug my phone in at night, every night. The 1st night after the update, it was 2am (central time) when my phone began the wonderful DROOOOID reboot. Every time it started, I grabbed the phone and played with it, thinking I would see what was causing the problem. This happened 2 nights in a row. I have no newly installed apps, and I didn't play with the wifi, internet or cache. By night 3, I simply set the phone to silent and let it run its course while I had Droid-free dreams. I've been using my phone since then with no issues at all. :)

We turn my wife's phone to silent every night. I don't sleep well anyway so everytime I wake up starting at 2am est I still see the lights of the reboot! I've also tried to play with the phone while this is happening to see if I can fix it, but it reboots while I'm using it. I've heard a lot of people talking about the backup assistant but I've been so frustrated with the whole thing that I haven't looked into that yet..... Oh well till I do, silent is the way for me to go! :)

mi4teaching

Reaction score
software update #'s

My husband and I have the same software numbers as your wife. FYI, Build 4.08.605.15 CL389630 and Software version 4.08.605.15

We have the update and we are still rebooting.

mi4teaching

Reaction score
SD Card & Download folder

This didn't work for me! I'm on to the figure this out!

Melr2

Reaction score
Update

Just an update: ten days now and all is well. I wonder if others are even trying to let it run its course or if that simply didn't work for them?

grif

Reaction score
Received the update a while back and for the first couple nights it was rebooting at 2 am and woke me up so i shut it down. Then i heard to just let it do its thing, so i turned it on silent, and i was problem free for around a week or two until the other night when it did it again (2 nights in a row). I'm just getting into the habit now of turning it to silent each night when i go to bed. I use it as an alarm every morning, and the alarm still works even when i turn it on silent and it does its rebooting thing in the middle of the night. I'm going to keep putting it on silent each night until they get a fix out there...

knottphreak

Reaction score
problem solved (?)

My phone also was rebooting when I wanted to use apps that required the backup assistant, like whenever I tried to start up my vznavigator. I didn't go through the trouble of rooting my phone or anything fancy - so far, all I've done is go to Settings-> Applications-> Manage -> Running -> select the Sync Service and Force Stop it. I also went into my Settings-> Accounts & Sync-> and turned off syncingBackground Data which prevents apps like the backup assistant from automatically turning on my 3G and syncing data. I haven't had any late night DROOOIDING or any rebooting to speak of for 2 night (& 3 days). Hopefully this helps other people experiencing this 2 am rebooting issue.
I have the same exact problem everyone else here has been having - new software update and BAM! Constant 2 am til 5am rebooting and while using certain apps. I've tried the whole "try to get your phone to complete he update by hanging he time to force the rest of he update" only to find that that was not the case since my phone was already updated completely. This seems to be a backup assistant related issue.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Just an update: ten days now and all is well. I wonder if others are even trying to let it run its course or if that simply didn't work for them?

I have definitely tried to let it run the course. We leave the phone on silent every night now hoping something will work. I think it is time for my wife to start looking for a new phone.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
I still have the problem and more recently it killed my alarm to get up. Not only that but I had it set to vibrate not silent and the dang screen light was bright as heck!

Has anyone been able to get it to stop by turning off the back up assistant?

Update for me shutting off auto sync and stopping background data DID NOT STOP THE REBOOT

Last edited:

ChevroletR

Reaction score
Wow I'm so glad it's not just me. I just got this replacement HTCinc from eBay since my old one died for good (toilet bowl dive) and everything went well (being a used phone) except the last couple nights at 2AM...what a pain in the you know what.

I see people's 'solutions' are all over the place so I don't want to get too involved with a hard reset, etc and I don't need it for an alarm clock daily. A lot of folks here think there is some correlation with backup assistant so that might be my next step.

I think I'm going to see if it does it a third night in a row to verify that the problem is definitely there. If so, I'm going to silence it and let it run its course, but I can imagine it would drain some battery. We'll see how it goes...

Stratoman

Reaction score
Stratoman

My HTC Droid Incredible is almost 2 years old. Replaced after 6 months due to inability to answer phone. After latest software update it rebooted so many times that the battery ran down. I turn phone off at night and charge. Rebooting takes place about 5 minutes after starting in the morning. Verizon did a total reboot and that lasted about 3 days. I did a reboot and that lasted 5 days. Went back to VZ and they sent me a new one last Tuesday. Restored my data and this morning it rebooted again after turn on. No one seems to have a clue on what's happening but I'm thoroughly convinced it's the new software. Going back to store this AM and see what they will do.

Stratoman

Reaction score
My HTC Droid Incredible is almost 2 years old. Replaced after 6 months due to inability to answer phone. After latest software update it rebooted so many times that the battery ran down. I turn phone off at night and charge. Rebooting takes place about 5 minutes after starting in the morning. Verizon did a total reboot and that lasted about 3 days. I did a reboot and that lasted 5 days. Went back to VZ and they sent me a new one last Tuesday. Restored my data and this morning it rebooted again afte"r turn on. No one seems to have a clue on what's happening but I'm thoroughly convinced it's the new software. Going back to store this AM and see what they will do.

Hey everyone, got a response from VZ. I reported the problem to tech support but told them I needed a reliable phone but didn't think it was fair to change my data plan. I was transferred to another rep and she said they would replace my Incredible with a Droid 2 and not screw up my "new every two" or data plan. I think the only way VZ will wake up is if everyone called VZ and complained. You can reach them at 1-800-922-0204.

bayareadave

Reaction score
After 3 weeks of the 2am reboots and having tried every possible suggestion on this forum and others, I decided to call Verizon. I spent almost an hour on the phone with them, trying to get some resolution, but no luck. Spent most of the time with the tier 2 support guy who then transferred me to his supervisor, who then transferred me to HTC.

First, it really annoyed me that all the VZ people I talked to acted like they have not heard of this issue, even though it’s well documented on this and other forums. At least the HTC guy admitted that this was a “widespread” problem.

VZ’s claim is that my phone is out of warranty so there’s nothing they can do about it. I argued that warranty has nothing to do with it since this problem is a direct result of the software update and if they caused (or was partly responsible for) my phone to malfunction, they should be liable. They said they don’t have anything to do with the software update other than approving the release. In fact the tier 2 guy kept saying, “we don’t even like the software.” LOL.

HTC basically admitted that these reboots are happening as a result of the update and they don’t currently have a solution. He only suggested leaving the wifi on tonight so that the update could completely successfully, but even doubted himself whether that would work. Told me to call back if it happens again so they can troubleshoot more.

I think my best resolution at this point is through small claims court since I don’t want to pay of an upgrade. I’ve gotten HTC to acknowledge that the update causes the problem and that it is widespread and I’ve gotten VZ to say they approve any software updates, so I figure I can show liability on both parties.

I encourage everyone to call VZ and keep them on the phone for as long as you can. Management looks closely at support call metrics like time on the phone so maybe if enough people call we can get management’s attention.