Read before buying from Verizon direct online

rumblee1

Reaction score
I ordered the bionic extra capacity battery from Verizon for half price with free shipping. Today I get a call from my wife saying that FedEx left a tag at the door. ARE YOU KIDDING? For a $25.00 battery they require a signature? The only reason I. Ordered online was to get the deal. Now I have no battery and I'm going away tomorrow. Sending it right back. This past Christmas, I got a 40 " tv, 2 printers, 2 hard drives, and a surround system. All online, all delivered with no signature required and no problems. I wonder if that battery was taken, if Verizon would have called out the National Guard?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ConqSoft

Reaction score
You can set up a waiver with FedEx so that they will leave packages that require signature. And, you should be able to pick it up at the local FedEx office this evening.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Or you can go pick it up at the FedEx transfer station (depending on the proximity to you) before they close. Done that many times myself for Verizon stuff.

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
If I had the time I would have. But I don't that's why I bought it online. And I'm going away tomorrow. Verizon should have stated that a signature would be required on the website. I would have bought elsewhere AND I'd have my battery.

bufordpisser

Reaction score
I bought my battery the same way that you did. I did not have to sign for mine. Mine was sent USPS. if you paid for expedited shipping they usually require a sig as people are known to try to get shipping refunded by saying that it did not get there in time. I live in a great neighborhood and if the Fed-Ex guy delivered all of the things that you say were dropped without a sig, i would be mad. Do you know how long it takes to file a claim and get reimbursed for stolen items?

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
I did not pay for expedited shipping it was included free of charge

Scribble

Reaction score
I think Fedex actually changed their policy to signature required by default, so it would probably be more appropriate for Verizon to say if they DIDN'T require a sig...

Aside from that, I'm betting there would be way more people angry that their new piece of tech goodness got stolen then there would be about having to sign for a package. :p

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
And if the deal is still going on, for others who read this thread, the discount also applies in store, not just online.

I do hate having to sign for packages though, I wonder if there was a period in the 80s or something where some malicious group started breaking into homes to accept packages that weren't theres...granted anyone can forge a name.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since at least one of my parents is at home all the time, I generally have the stuff shipped to their place. I set up a tracking email or text to say when it arrives.

When I used to work in shipping, there were 3 levels with UPS; no signature, signature and adult signature. FedEx's policy is at http://www.fedex.com/us/tracking/f_quickhelp.html, which is the problem. USPS and UPS don't automatically ask for a signature, FedEx does. Unfortunately you got the "luck of the draw" on how they shipped it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just ordered new golf clubs and were shipped via FedEx....Left them at the front door and no signature required. This was yesterday.

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
OK, I did some research. FedEx will only require a signature if the SHIPPER orders it and pats for it. It's not done by default.

tennvol

Reaction score
Not news at all. Vzw has been doing this for years. Its a indirect signature anyways so no biggie

Snoking

Reaction score
If I am expecting something and will not be home, I print out the shipping details, sign it stating OK to leave and tape it to the door! Chris

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score
Seriously you are upset at this?

1) Since my wife works from home in CS/sales for a major online/local retailer the problem that frequently arises is this. Items get delivered and left without a signature. Then they get stolen. Customer complains they never got it, and they used to reship items, now they defer to the shipping company more often than not. That costs money. This can include theft by the driver or someone else.
2) Or alternately, the customer gets it unsigned, then calls a week later saying they never got it. Again, depending on the company, they may reship, costing money.

A signature ensures someone is responsible for it and clears their liability.

Or just ship it to your work. I rarely ship to home now. Even though the wife is home, UPS usually doesn't knock, but FedEx will. At work, I know someone in receiving will sign for it and it won't get stolen.

If we miss an item, i can call when I get home and pick it up starting at 7am the next day.