Question regarding Wfi Hotspot

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I currently have my OG Droid rooted so I can use it as a Wifi hotspot (I use Barnacle). Someone mentioned to me they didn't think this would work with 4G, only 3G. Anyone know this for sure? My Bionic should arrive today and I plan to root it so I can use it as a Wifi hotspot.

Thanks.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Anyone? Buehler...Buehler...

I REALLY don't want to spend another $30 a month for WiFi Hotspot. If it won't work, I'll have to and I won't root my phone.

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
The hotspot feature is only an additional 20 not 30 and if you're grandfathered into unlimited data is well worth it. I'd do that before taking a risk of being throttled for unauthorized tethering.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rwking

Reaction score
The wifi feature should be available when some solid ROMs come out. Until then use PDAnet and tether with USB cable. Stopped by speedtest.net and scored a nice 7 mb down / 2 mb up with my Bionic tethered to my macbook. Honestly, I was paying $25 / month for AT&T "high-speed" DSL and the max guaranteed download rate was 6 mb. In reality I was getting about 3-4 mb down. My tethered Bionic is a HUGE step up from DSL. SO, I cancelled my contract with AT&T and plan to USB tether until I can flash a new ROM that includes the WiFi feature. Fortunately, I'm grandfathered from an old Alltel unlimited data plan. Woot. Won't ever change plans - at least until they force me to. haha Cheers!

bigkhan

Reaction score
check the hacks section, and read the wireless tether thread. there is a video there that will show you how to use the stock hot spot app you have on your phone without the phone checking for subscription status. it works, ive done it. there are people who are afraid that verizon will catch them but no one has been caught yet.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Thanks. I've seen the hack but worries about hacking Verizon software.

Whether it's $20 or $30 is irrelevant. I don't believe I should pay for bandwidth twice. This is why I did it before and hope to do it again. May have to just wait for custom ROMs then bummer.

korp

Reaction score
The hotspot feature is only an additional 20 not 30 and if you're grandfathered into unlimited data is well worth it. I'd do that before taking a risk of being throttled for unauthorized tethering.

Wrong .... $30 for a 4G phone if you have unlimited data and get unlimited hotspot.

Thanks. I've seen the hack but worries about hacking Verizon software.

Whether it's $20 or $30 is irrelevant. I don't believe I should pay for bandwidth twice. This is why I did it before and hope to do it again. May have to just wait for custom ROMs then bummer.

Technically you are not paying for it twice. You are paying for internet on your phone and then for a computer if you want hotspot .... two different services.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Technically,it's the same bandwidth. Doesn't matter where it's being used. You aee paying for it twice.

I dont pay the cable company extra for the multiple devices i run through my connection. Why do i have to with Verizon?
Just sick of getting screwed over on bandwidth constantly.