Question on switching from 4G to 3G and back

fireman00

Reaction score
I've got a RAZR Maxx that I love but have an issue... I live in a 3G area, on the way to work I hit a 4G area and the phone picks it up no problems. I do have a problem when 4G drops, the phone doesn't drop back to 3G - it drops completely and I get a message there is no internet connectivity. Is this normal?

I've changed my network settings to use CDMA only and I don't lose network connection.

maxxatdf

Reaction score
Exactly same issue and more.
1. Phone won't switch from 4G to 3G. In the store, the tech manually turned off 4G to get it to connect to 3G. Of course, switching couldn't be tested in the store because 4G did not drop there.
2. When WiFi is on but no known WiFi AP is connected, phone won't connect to 4G.

The tech swapped out the SIM as a fix but that did not work. Will take it back to the store soon. Running unrooted, stock and latest ROM.

DocsDad

Reaction score
If you wait 30 seconds or so data should come back on. If it doesn't you can get a data toggle from the market which might do it. Or, reboot the phone. I think I have only needed to reboot once to grab data again. My MAXX picks it up pretty quickly.

Are you up to date on the OTA updates? The last one took care of some of these problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's an app called "restart connections" in the market that could be helpful. It's very straightforward, it simply turns off all connections then restarts them. Could come in handy in that situation.

Also know that that's unfortunately a problem in areas where 4G is weak or 4G drops completely. It's just not handled perfectly all the time.

OP
F

fireman00

Reaction score
There's an app called "restart connections" in the market that could be helpful. It's very straightforward, it simply turns off all connections then restarts them. Could come in handy in that situation.

Also know that that's unfortunately a problem in areas where 4G is weak or 4G drops completely. It's just not handled perfectly all the time.

Thanks for the recommendations... interesting that the problem area is around Bridgewater, NJ.... home of Verizon.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the recommendations... interesting that the problem area is around Bridgewater, NJ.... home of Verizon.

Another one that works which I use is Data Enabler Widget.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
If you wait 30 seconds or so data should come back on. If it doesn't you can get a data toggle from the market which might do it. Or, reboot the phone. I think I have only needed to reboot once to grab data again. My MAXX picks it up pretty quickly.

Are you up to date on the OTA updates? The last one took care of some of these problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

Most of the Motorola Updates have cleared my switching issues, but if my phone gets stuck, I just wait. It usually comes back in 30 seconds to a minute. It sucks if I'm watching a NetFlix video, or streaming music, but it does return without having to close either app.

marlonvps

Reaction score
There's nothing overly good. Most people are using LTE switch. But there's definitely no toggle widget for it as of this moment.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
A quick fix to bring back data without an extra app is to toggle airplane mode off and then back on. Of course, you would hope you wouldn't have to do this too often.

DarthKinetic

Reaction score

yeah, isnt that called Airplane mode? ;)

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
With Airplane mode, I have to press the power button and scroll down. With a widget, I can just press the widget. It's all about the click man :p