Question, bought and returned droid phone at Best Buy

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
So I had purchased a Droid Pro a while back, I returned it within the 30 day return policy and ported my number over to Att (I had bought an iPhone) prior to all of this I had already paid my 86 dollar bill which I assume was for the first month. I got a bill a few days ago saying I owed 380 dollars, I'm gonna assume this was the cancellation fee (even though I returned it within the 30 days) so I talked to Verizon on the phone and they said they were going to put a note in my account to try to remove 340 dollars off the bill but he would not go into detail what the other 40 dollars was for, all he said was that it was for tax but didn't say for what. I was told by a friend that when I had returned the phone Best Buy should have called Verizon to inform them that the phone had been returned and that'd be that. I just dont know why they want me to pay the 40 dollars even though I had canceled my line within the first 30 days.

I guess my question is, since I was within in the 30 days, was I still suppose to pay for the first bill? I had heard that the only thing you should be paying is the activation fee since thats non refundable. I'm actually gonna go down to Best Buy tomorrow and return the iPhone (I have the Droid Pro on order through Amazon) and exchange it for an iPod touch, that way I have the best of both worlds.

I should have just stuck with the Droid Pro in the first place but I really wanted to try iOS, I just didn't realize I'd hate it as much as I do.

Detonation

Reaction score
When you return your phone under the 30 day policy you have to pay a $35 restocking fee which is where I'm guessing the most of the $40 is coming from.

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Yeah but if I already paid the 86 dollars for the first month, I dont see why I'd be paying the 40..unless I ended up paying for my bill and now they want me to pay the restocking fee which is the 40 bucks.. so in reality, I shouldn't have paid the 86 dollars and I should have just paid the 40 for the restocking fee?..man this is gonna be a nightmare when I walk into best buy tomorrow morning lol..

Detonation

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to pay the full amount of first month's bill, only a pro-rated amount based on time and usage.

Basically the only thing you should be owing is $35 + prorated bill. That is Verizon's policy, not sure if Best Buy does anything differently

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
This is such a headache. Yeah my situation went like this, I had the HTC Evo on Sprint, saw the Droid Pro and went bananas over it so I ported my number over to Verizon, paid the $200 cancellation fee for Sprint, enjoyed the Pro for nearly a month, was dissapointed by the call quality, I was itching for the iPhone 4, bought the iPhone 4, ported the number over to AT&T, and then thats when I got that bill from Verizon, I then read how the update for the Droid Pro fixes most of the issues I was having with the phone so now I'm deciding to jump ship and go back to Verizon but since I returned the Droid Pro to Best Buy and they no longer sell the Droid Pro, I had to order it from Verizon, so now I have to return the iPhone, exchange it for an Ipod touch, and hopefully get my new Droid Pro tomorrow.. blargh.. should of just stuck with the Droid Pro in the first place..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes, and returned it for another one to see if the call quality was a specific-to-your-handset problem.

I don't envy you (and wish I had) the money you've had to pay out. :)

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Yes, and returned it for another one to see if the call quality was a specific-to-your-handset problem.

I don't envy you (and wish I had) the money you've had to pay out. :)

Haha it ain't cheap man.. having to pay that cancellation fee to Sprint, buying the iPhone 4 which I bought the 30 gig version so it was a little bit over 300 bucks, Paying Verizon the first month, now I probably have to pay AT&T for the time I had this stupid iPhone 4..man, this blows lol. I miss physical keys, I cant wait to have the Droid Pro again and start setting up all my home screens. :icon_ banana:

My extended battery along with my case is just sitting here on my desk lol.

mauiblue

Reaction score
Almost switched to a Droid X after almost a month with HTC Incredible. Both phones are great but decided to stick with the Incredible and avoid the hassle of switching. Definitely waiting to see if the Incredible HD will be the next big thing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I had the Treo's for the longest time (Treo 650, 755p, Palm Pre) and I dont think I can ever let go of that.. I need to have keys.. typing was a breeze on my Droid Pro and having short cut keys, being able to launch any program made things so much easier, dont get me wrong, the screen and hardware on the Iphone is top notch, and back when I had the Evo I really wanted the Droid X but, I'm all about functionality and the Droid Pro hits the spot.

harrellj

Reaction score
*psst* double-check your receipt with Best Buy from doing the return on the phone. They stopped charging restocking fees like last week and announced that any restocking fees charged in the previous month were all refundable. Get you some of that money back ;-)

Iowa

Reaction score
Oh man thats a lot of cash to just pay out to switch from carrier to carrier! I remember when I first went crazy for blackberries I bought just about everyone verizon had via CL and ebay...was fun but I would never do that again. Bought the incredible and couldn't be happier!

OP
MO3iusONE

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh.. ooh yeaaaa.. im typing this from my Droid pro.. so yeah, I ended up exchanging the iphone for a 32 gig ipod touch, then my Droid pro came in the mail today, it all went pretty smooth for the most part, had to call both att and verizon but its all good now. Now to start installing all my Apps =)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

nwasquad

Reaction score
sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread or anything, and please bare with me because I am not knowledgeable about this but is it really possible to buy a VZW phone from elsewhere (ie-BB, Amazon) and activate on the VZ network? I'm eligible for a new phone/phone credit and was looking to get the Samsung Fascinate and saw it was $50 at BB online compared to $199 at the VZ store but was skeptical about such a huge price difference...is there some kind of catch?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread or anything, and please bare with me because I am not knowledgeable about this but is it really possible to buy a VZW phone from elsewhere (ie-BB, Amazon) and activate on the VZ network? I'm eligible for a new phone/phone credit and was looking to get the Samsung Fascinate and saw it was $50 at BB online compared to $199 at the VZ store but was skeptical about such a huge price difference...is there some kind of catch?
Yep...no catch. Just either be new account or upgrade eligible.

Sent from somewhere...