Question about frequent charging.

Erikbal

Reaction score
So I am the type of person that likes to top off the charge on my devices when I can and before leaving the house. I had to do this quite often with my droid 4 because battery life was pretty bad. Everything I've read says that these new batteries don't have "memory" like the old style and that frequent charging is actually good for them. Is this the case with the internal battery in my G2? I want to do everything I can to make this phone last me as long as possible, especially since the battery is non replaceable. Thanks for your time and any input is appreciated! By the way I've found the battery life to be pretty amazing on this phone!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Charge it whenever and whereever you want. No problems. Although, with any Lithium Ion battery, you should always do regular maintenance on it. That involves:

• Drain the phone to 15%
  • Plug in the Factory Charger and charge until full
  • Repeat each month, or when you feel your battery life is slipping

No matter what Apple says, it is not a good idea to let your phone battery run down to 0%. Most Lithium Ion devices are set up to turn off at 4%, however you really should plug it in around 10-15%

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot that makes me feel better! I had my droid 4 for over 2 years and it was still functioning and holding a charge just fine when I replaced it so I must be doing something right!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
If you don't have an advanced scientific degree, here's what I diagnosed as the most important parts :p

Over-discharging Lithium-ion
Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

Battery manufacturers ship batteries with a 40 percent charge. The low charge state reduces aging-related stress while allowing some self-discharge during storage. To minimize the current flow for the protection circuit before the battery is sold, advanced Li-ion packs feature a sleep mode that disables the protection circuit until activated by a brief charge or discharge. Once engaged, the battery remains operational and the on state can no longer be switched back to the standby mode.

Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
  • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.
  • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  • Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
  • Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you don't have an advanced scientific degree, here's what I diagnosed as the most important parts :p

Over-discharging Lithium-ion
Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

Battery manufacturers ship batteries with a 40 percent charge. The low charge state reduces aging-related stress while allowing some self-discharge during storage. To minimize the current flow for the protection circuit before the battery is sold, advanced Li-ion packs feature a sleep mode that disables the protection circuit until activated by a brief charge or discharge. Once engaged, the battery remains operational and the on state can no longer be switched back to the standby mode.

Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
  • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.
  • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  • Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
  • Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.
I'll simplify it further.
Don't charge your battery if it's already above 90%, don't let it get below 5% for best long term health of the battery. Your battery is "happiest", for lack of the proper term, between 20% and 80%.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk