PSA: VZW Bill-to-account cut to $400 - RE: GNex buyers be aware

JFMFT

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was given some information which I believe is public information (or isn't proprietary, as far as I know). It's in regard to account billing.

I am not sure if this is news to anyone, but it was to me when the information was passed along. I was going to post this a few days ago, but I wanted to verify with a few other people I know before I posted. When I verified the information with my spouse's store manager, I felt comfortable sharing. Edit: my spouse works for corporate VZW (just being transparent about that). Generally, they're not privy to much the public doesn't know, hence why I tend to believe this bill-to-account change has to have been made known to people previously. I even apologize if this has been discussed already somewhere. Honestly, I didn't search to see if it was already a topic on this forum somewhere.

I digress... I was told by my spouse that account billing is limited to $400 across the board. Apparently, this is a recent change and supposedly it was cut for all customers (not sure about business accounts, etc.). This is important to note. For example, in my household alone we are preparing to order 4 GNex's, however, we realized we can only bill one to account. We wouldn't be upgrading if we couldn't pay for it, so we'll be fine - but I know a lot of people like to bill to account when they order online or in-store and then pay the bill later.

If you want to make sure, you can always dial *611 and speak with a rep during normal call center business hours and ask how much you can bill to your account. I hope this isn't a rumor, and I don't believe it is as I've verified it with both my spouse and the store manager of the store my spouse works at (again, a corporate store). I tend to personally believe more things that come from corporate than indirect, but all of you can do as you wish with this information.

While this isn't specifically about the Galaxy Nexus, and I am worried a mod might move this to the off-topic section, I posted it here because I wanted people who are waiting to upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus to be aware that they may be limited in how much they can bill to account on upgrade day. Financial planning is important when we are each spending $300 per upgrade.

If you have any doubts at all, please call *611 and ask how much you're eligible for in bill-to-account so that you know ahead of time and aren't surprised at the checkout screen when you're denied bill-to-account for your upgrade. Consider this a PSA, if nothing else.

If anyone speaks with customer service (*611 from any Verizon cell phone) and gets a conflicting story, I'd love to know about it. I hate the spread of misinformation, so while I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, IF the information here is wrong, I'd like it to be made known so no one is misled in the end.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

sxm

Reaction score
If anyone speaks with customer service (*611 from any Verizon cell phone) and gets a conflicting story, I'd love to know about it. I hate the spread of misinformation, so while I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, IF the information here is wrong, I'd like it to be made known so no one is misled in the end.

You wouldn't want to "P3droid" it. lol

gtofan350

Reaction score
Nice find but I think most people won't really be affected by this. Not too many people are planning on ordering 4 GNex's.

lfylove

Reaction score
Nice find but I think most people won't really be affected by this. Not too many people are planning on ordering 4 GNex's.

I'm getting 7. One for each day of the week.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
J

JFMFT

Reaction score

Indeed, I would not want to "P3Droid it".

Also, even though not most would buy 4 Galaxy Nexus handsets (hey, gotta be nice to mom and dad! :]), even buying two would easily put you over the $400 limit. Heck, a single Galaxy Nexus and more than 2 or 3 accessories could easily put one past the limit. Hence my post about this, because it could definitely affect the individual who is just buying one Galaxy Nexus and a car dock, case, and another accessory or two.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Yeah and ill back this claim. Last week we bought my GF a Razr, the guy asked if I wanted to bill it to the account. I personally asked him how much could be billed. He told me 400 max so this is the truth.

Sent from my Moto Droid

edan

Reaction score
$400 is the limit. I confirmed it the other day with VZW. I might have to do this myself so I called customer service and my local store just to be sure. Also, it applies to all phones except the eye-phone. Go figure. I don't think any of us plan on downgrading though. :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mikeinctown

Reaction score
This is interesting because when I went to the VZW store on Tuesday the guy told me that none of the 4g phones could be billed to account.

Also, when you bill a phone to your account, you have to pay it off that bill cycle correct? Why not just pay for the phone when you get it?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
This is interesting because when I went to the VZW store on Tuesday the guy told me that none of the 4g phones could be billed to account.

Also, when you bill a phone to your account, you have to pay it off that bill cycle correct? Why not just pay for the phone when you get it?

No not correct neccesairly. Like on the Razr, I bought it the 11th, my bill cycle ends on the 1st, so bill was already printed for November so the phone gets put on the December bill which won't be due till after Christmas. So from the 11th of November to the end of December is a good period where I don't have to blow all my money. Its basically a lil loan so that's why I did it.

Sent from my Moto Droid