Problems trying to transfer files between PC and Droid

Drooooid

Reaction score
First off.....How's it going, everyone? Just got a Droid X a couple days ago, and everything I Google about it brings up plenty of hits to this site. So I figured I might as well join up!:biggrin:

Anyway.....This is my first smartphone, but consider myself at least averagely tech savvy. I've been trying to hook up my Droid to my laptop, via USB, in order to get some pictures/music/etc onto my phone. I hook up with the supplied USB cable, and when I go into My Computer, I can't double-click on the USB drive that the Droid is hooked up to, in order to get into the. It pretty much just freezes up my laptop, until I unplug the USB, and it unfreezes.

Also, when I go into a media sharing thing on my Droid, it says something about not finding the SD card. But I checked, and it's in there. I even pulled it and put it back in. I then even formatted it. Still no dice.

I'm following this tutorial... https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48689/~/droid-x---transfer-files-to%2Ffrom-my-computer ...step for step, but I can't through part 3 (Select Device) of Step 6 (for Windows PC). I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that the SD card isn't registering? In other words, I'm trying to get into and open something that the laptop and phone are saying isn't there; the SD card. My mouse cursor just turns into the "busy" symbol and freezes until I pull the USB.

During all of this, the notification line on my X is saying "Checking SD card" or something, over and over, and beeping.

Any idea what's going on?

Background on the phone itself: I just got it brand new from the Verizon Store a few days ago. I did the system update after I got it. I haven't messed with anything, other than some settings to save battery life and I downloaded like 4 apps. Nothing too invasive, I don't think. Like I said, this is my first smartphone, so I'm going to slow with messing with stuff, as I don't want to get in over my head, lol.

Sorry for the long post. Just hoping someone can help me out.

Oh.....something else I just thought of....I have an adapter that allows you to plug a micro SD card into a standard sized SD card adapter, to plug into my laptops card reader. Should I try doing that and seeing if the X's micro SD card can be found that way? Even so though, I'd still like to be able to just transfer files via USB, as opposed to keep having to pull the battery and pull the SD card everytime.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should be able to easily plug in the USB - pull down the notification panel by dragging your finger from the top of the screen to the bottom and select "Mass Storage Mode" or something to that effect - and be done with it...your computer should also find the right drivers for you

If you are having issues with the SD card and the device not being able to find it even after a format I would suggest taking it in and having it looked at since it is brand new -

Also if you have any Task Killers installed - they are unneeded and almost always problematic

BTW - :welcome: to the Forum

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you hook your phone up to the computer you should be in mass storage mode. A little box should pop up on the screen, at least that's the way it works on my mac. Double click that box and you will be accessing your SD card.

There are other ways to access the SD card. There is an app called WiFi Explorer that will give you a web address and you can access your SD card that way. that app is in the Market, it may cost a couple of bucks. I don't recall. I'm assuming you have a wireless network in your home, if you don't that won't work.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Once you connect via usb you have to pull down the notification bar and tap on "enable usb debbuging". BEFORE you disconnect the usb you must recheck the same thing to unmount your card from the computer. Give that a shot first. Then try using the adapter. Welcome to the forums and good luck. Check into the rescue squad if neither of the above work.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Drooooid

Drooooid

Reaction score
You should be able to easily plug in the USB - pull down the notification panel by dragging your finger from the top of the screen to the bottom and select "Mass Storage Mode" or something to that effect - and be done with it...your computer should also find the right drivers for you

If you are having issues with the SD card and the device not being able to find it even after a format I would suggest taking it in and having it looked at since it is brand new -

Also if you have any Task Killers installed - they are unneeded and almost always problematic

BTW - :welcome: to the Forum

Yup, I had already checked off the USB Mass Storage Mode from the options given from the pull down notifications menu. No dice.

Nope, no task-killers installed.

If all else fails, I'll take your advice and end up taking it into the Verizon Store.

Thanks, and thanks for the "Welcome"!

When you hook your phone up to the computer you should be in mass storage mode. A little box should pop up on the screen, at least that's the way it works on my mac. Double click that box and you will be accessing your SD card.

There are other ways to access the SD card. There is an app called WiFi Explorer that will give you a web address and you can access your SD card that way. that app is in the Market, it may cost a couple of bucks. I don't recall. I'm assuming you have a wireless network in your home, if you don't that won't work.

Yup, it's already in USB Mass Storage Mode. I had read about that somewhere when I first gave it a go, before I signed up here. I'll look into the Explorer app. Thanks.

Once you connect via usb you have to pull down the notification bar and tap on "enable usb debbuging". BEFORE you disconnect the usb you must recheck the same thing to unmount your card from the computer. Give that a shot first. Then try using the adapter. Welcome to the forums and good luck. Check into the rescue squad if neither of the above work.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I don't recall seeing anything about "debugging" in the pulldown notification bar. I can double check, though. Thanks.

OzarkDroid

Reaction score
Having EXACT same issue since purchase, Droooid. Thought it was me. Thinking about heading to the Verizon store today.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd venture to say that most users are having issues since getting the latest OTA update. I got mine and was working flawlessly until then, now mounting the phone via USB is a PITA.

I'm thinking you have two issues, one the mounting of the phone, and the other of the sdcard. My wife's new D2 wouldn't see the card, and I had to remove it (gave a little blow of air in the socket) and replace it, and has been good since.

I don't know what to tell you with the mounting. Does the X reboot when you put it in USB storage mode? If so, once it reboots it will still be in that mode and you unplug and replug the USB in. For me this is when it sees the connection on the PC, sometimes I have to repeat again if it reboots.

It's a royal PITA. I'm going to go to Verizon today and complain since it seems to be a wide spread issue. It's not worth getting a refurb but I'll lodge a complaint so maybe they'll push down a fix.

OP
Drooooid

Drooooid

Reaction score
Update and solution............

I finally got around to making it to the Verizon store, and told them what was happening.

The guy took my phone and said some settings on the phone probably needed to be changed, so here's what he did, in case anyone else was in my shoes and needs the help:

-On the main screen, hit the Menu button.
-Then hit Settings.
-Then hit Applications.
-Then hit Development.
-Then check off "USB debugging".

That's all he did, and just reminded me to make sure it was in USB Mass Storage Mode (which I already knew thanks to you guys here) when I hooked it to my PC via USB.

So anyways, that's all it took. Thanks to everyone here who offered help and advice. Much appreciated.:icon_ banana:

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Droid Firefighter tried to steer you to this fix...but he was a tad bit off on his instructions as he stated "pull down the notification bar and tap on "enable usb debbuging"...which isnt in the Notification Bar pulldown menu...but is in the Settings Menu..

No matter though, good thing is you have it fixed and its working...:)

Jale

Reaction score

Sorry, I'm confused by contradicting recommendations and the word "check off". :blink:
Do you mean:
-"Check USB debugging" or
-"Uncheck USB debugging"?

OP
Drooooid

Drooooid

Reaction score

Droid Firefighter tried to steer you to this fix...but he was a tad bit off on his instructions as he stated "pull down the notification bar and tap on "enable usb debbuging"...which isnt in the Notification Bar pulldown menu...but is in the Settings Menu..

No matter though, good thing is you have it fixed and its working...:)

Yeah, I think that's what was throwing me off a little. As I didn't see that option in the pull-down Notification bar.

Sorry, I'm confused by contradicting recommendations and the word "check off". :blink:
Do you mean:
-"Check USB debugging" or
-"Uncheck USB debugging"?

Sorry, lol. As has already been stated......make sure it is checked with the green check mark.