Droid shuts off/reboots when hooking up USB

Drooooid

Reaction score
I'll plug my USB into my X and laptop, and then my X always shuts down and reboots before I can access my memory card to transfer music/videos/pics to my laptop. Once it boots back up, I can do the transfers fine, though.

Is this normal?

gottcha

Reaction score
Same thing is happening to me. My somtimes reboot while still hooked to the pc! Help us!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what's causing that but I can definitely tell you that's not normal.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Mine did that too. I found it happened more times when using a non vzw usb cord. But then I started using the included plug/usb and it would reboot 2/3 times. Called vzw and they said it was defective. Got a replacement dx and now it never happens on any brand of usb cable.

gottcha

Reaction score
Cool ill give vzw a call. It gets irritating when its rebooting when hooked up to the pc. Other than that it work perfect as far as I can tell.

gottcha

Reaction score
Well I saw another post about running apps on the sd card so I deleted them all and tried again and it worked the three times I tried it in a row then I left it plugged in and it unmounted my sd card and rebooted by itself.

gottcha

Reaction score
I called vzw and was told to enable USB debugging and stay awake everytime before plugging it in to the computer. They also suggested pulling the battery out with the phone ON. That to me just doesn't sound right. Has anyone ever tried that before?

meiertj

Reaction score
I have the same issue, rebooting upon hooking up to PC via USB. Apparently there are plenty of us experiencing this issue...

Is the only fix to get a new one?

R5D4

Reaction score
Just adding to the rest of your messages...I'm having the same issue, but it seems to be a very recent issue for me, like just in the last week or 2. I don't plug into my laptop a whole lot, but the last couple of times recently I've seen this reboot issue.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen any OTA updates, but since a lot of us are having this, could it be a recent update to a common app? Google Maps, Facebook...etc?

Joshgt2

Reaction score
My Droid X will do this too.

I also get my phone to restart when I tell it to turn off. I cannot turn off my phone unless I pull the battery...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine just started doing it too. There doesn't seem to be any other side effects of this. Just mildly annoying

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
It started happening to me about a month ago, and I haven't figured out why. It only happens when my USB connection is set to USB Mass Storage; it never happens when it's set to Charge Only. I suppose an app could be causing it, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's baffling and annoying.

My X also sometimes reboots on its own, without being hooked up to a PC via USB. It can happen in the middle of a phone call, which drives me batty. Again, no idea why -- it started a couple of months ago. I'm pinning all my hopes on the OTA Gingerbread to fix it, which may be completely unreasonable of me. :icon_eek:

Qball32

Reaction score
I had the same problem with 2 different phones, using any computer. I have found if I make sure the phone is unlocked and on the home screen before I plug it in it doesn't happen.

gottcha

Reaction score
Well I formated and defragged my sd card and it seemed to help but then it rebooted after about 10 mins and unmounted my card and after mounting it again all my ring tones and notification sound all went back to stock. What a PITA!!!