Droid X Randomly reboots

Gamtu

Reaction score
After the update to Android version 2.3.3 my phone will spontaneously get stuck in a rebooting loop.

I don't even have to be using the phone for this to start happening. For instance this morning I woke up to find my phone stuck in this reboot loop condition. When I left the phone last night, the screen was off, no one had touched it. The phone was not plugged into the charger yet it was very warm, the screen was on and the phone was booting up, indicating a Skype error, shutting down, rebooting, indicating a Skype error shutting down ect. Next time I see the error I'll try to write down what it says exactly.

The Skype error comes up just before the phone reboots indicating something about Skype having not started properly and needs to close. The option to force close is grayed out. I've never used Skype in my life. I don't even have a Skype account. I'd uninstall Skype to be rid of the problem but the phone won't allow that.

Last edited:

phalstead

Reaction score
I'm thinking something didn't jive right after the OTA. Your best bet would be to boot into Recovery, whether it be Stock Recovery or Clockwork and wipe data/cache. If you need more assistance, let me know, but there's a multitude of threads on how to do this and Google is just a few keystrokes away. Good luck.

OP
Gamtu

Gamtu

Reaction score
I'm thinking something didn't jive right after the OTA. Your best bet would be to boot into Recovery, whether it be Stock Recovery or Clockwork and wipe data/cache. If you need more assistance, let me know, but there's a multitude of threads on how to do this and Google is just a few keystrokes away. Good luck.

OK, I know how to get into recovery now. The process for doing that changed a little at some point.

I assume I will be doing a Stock Recovery since I have no idea what Clockwork is.

I see in the recovery menu two separate "wipe" choices

"wipe data/factory reset"

and/or

"wipe cache partition"

Since you used both terms data and cache did you mean that I have to wipe both data/factory reset and cache partition?

Also what does this accomplish? Does this remove all music, video, pictures and apps that I've downloaded? Will I have to download the android update again? I'm certainly willing to perform one or both types of wipe if it will fix the phone. I really don't mind reinstalling stuff if necessary.

phalstead

Reaction score
Since you used both terms data and cache did you mean that I have to wipe both data/factory reset and cache partition?

Also what does this accomplish? Does this remove all music, video, pictures and apps that I've downloaded? Will I have to download the android update again? I'm certainly willing to perform one or both types of wipe if it will fix the phone. I really don't mind reinstalling stuff if necessary.

Yeah, you need to do both. It will remove all apps you've downloaded. Videos pictures music etc are stored on the SD card. You'll have to reactivate the phone and resync your contacts and such. It's like the phone is fresh out of the box as far as the operating system is concerned. Your OTA update will still be there though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums