Problem finding GPS.....again...

Erikbal

Reaction score
First off let me apologize for the long post and ask that you PLEASE take your time to read it... I've had my phone going on probably 2 months now. When I first got it and I would try google maps navigation just for fun and to experiment, it would NOT find a signal and just sit there and say searching for GPS signal. I'd even drive all the way home from work (20mins) with it trying and it wouldn't find anything, and yes the GPS was on. Well one day after work I stopped to get gas and tried again and it worked great and connected almost immediately. So I figured well it's a new phone maybe there was a bug or something and saw a lot of people on here were having simular problems. Well just tonight I downloaded a new app my friend told me about called Speedview so when I left his house I turned my GPS on and opened the app and it sat there searching for satellites for a good 10 minutes so I thought well just to see if it's the app or not I'll try Google maps which I knew (or thought so) worked. Same thing again,went to the navigation mode and that also sat there for at least 10 minutes searching for GPS and never found it. I was in my Jeep driving and even held the phone up to the windshield. Any ideas? It's frustrating having this brand new phone and not having itt work right. Sorry about the long post just looking for help and wanted to be specific. Thanks!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This seems to be a problem in the Droid 3. I also have a hard time getting signal.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Uncle700

Reaction score
Has happened to me and just have to reboot the phone. I have started running GPS Status or Google Maps at least once per day and this has mostly stopped the lack of GPS signal for me. If the radar icon does not show on the notification bar it will not connect.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I don't get it though cuz it worked fine for a while several times in a row then now back to the same problem. Very frustrating!

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Ok thanks next time I'm out and it doesn't work I'll give it a try. Still something that shouldn't be a problem and should be fixed.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just an FYI....the "update" for the Droid 3 that's been posted......you can see GPS Satellites in apps like GPS Status and such that wouldn't show them before (as the phones version shipped). Not sure what else was done to the GPS portion, but they did correct that so perchance there are some other fixes as well.

LT*

Reaction score
I'm having this issue too. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens. Sometimes I start maps or nav and the GPS icon shows up in the notification bar and everything connects very quickly. Other times, no icon, no Signal until I reboot. Oddly, when this happens and I check gps in settings, one or more of the check boxes are unchecked. I've tried checking all the boxes. Once it actually worked, but had my location way to the left of where I was. A reboot fixed it, but I should have to do that to get GPS to work reliably. I hope the update really does fix it.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
So today on my way to work it wasn't working so I rebooted the phone and it worked great and I even turned the gps off then on and tried again and it still worked so we'll see if it works again later or if I have to reboot again.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Well on my way home from work tonight it worked again and didn't have to reboot. I just wonder why sometimes you do..

LT*

Reaction score
I am had this happen again this morning. I went into settings and unchecked and recheck all the options for GPS and reopened maps. It located right away after that. So no reboot necessary this time.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
It would be nice if someone that applied the update could do some extensive testing to see if GPS is reliable. Might just be the last straw for me.

tom head

Reaction score
Update?

Tom, What version are we talking about now with the update? My Check fore updates keeps saying I am current, but still see no satallites on any of the many programs that shgould show them.

Thanks in advance

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Tom, What version are we talking about now with the update? My Check fore updates keeps saying I am current, but still see no satallites on any of the many programs that shgould show them.

Thanks in advance

Not an officially released update but one found on Motorola's servers for pushing updates. It takes the phone from 5.5.959 to 5.6.890. It's been talked about in a few threads here. So far I've had no issues with the GPS, used it Sunday and it locked in quickly and stayed locked in.

Here's a screen shot of my D3 sitting in my cubicle at work....
View attachment 39923

tom head

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,

That's the info I needed, unfortunately got to Motorola Servers after they already removed that update. Checked at Verizon today and they have no idea when the official release will be. My GPS today actually stayed locked in for about an hour, but that was all she wrote. Verizon store will give me a new phone, which I may do, but only have 6 days left to return if I go that way. I may just switch to verizonas iPhone 4, but layout an extra $200. Should have just stayed with my Droid X.

Tom Head

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Oh noes, not another idle IPhone threat! If you want an inferior device, go for it. I understand your frustration, we've all been there, but I won't stop you from letting your frustration lead you down the wrong path.

On the other hand, if you're willing to invest a little time searching around here a bit, you might actually find what you seek.

And as a purely technical matter, the update link didn't point to a moto server, but the OP did take it down and appologize. Others have posted it. Also, nobody at Verizon or Motorola will ever tell you when an update is coming out until it is released. It could be out tomorrow, next week, or next month, but they'll remain mum as a matter of policy. Heck the tech at the local store will probably find out just after you do.

And yes, I'm as frustrated--angry actually--as anybody about the GPS failures.

Last edited: