Possible Battery Mod Issue

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
No. I started out with the phone off, but needed to use it, so powered it back up when the mod was around 80%. In the previous times, it has seemed to need a little coaxing before it would finish charging. I'm leaning towards a software glitch.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Hopefully it was a temporary glitch & doesn't give you any more trouble!

Sent from my Moto Z
Thanks. It's happened a few times, so not holding out hope that it's cured, but would love to know what's causing it.
Have a great day, Jonny & kisses to that little one of yours!

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Did you check the pin connectors to make sure not damaged or dirty?
Yes, it's perfect. It's sending juice to the phone without a hitch. Honestly, I think it must be software. Something buggy popping up once and awhile. The other times it's happened, I've just rebooted the phone and plugged it back in. No biggy. But this time, I couldn't get it to finish charging up for quite awhile. I don't remember where the battery was reading before I went to bed, but barely used it, so thinking maybe 100% and 40-ish% mod. It did take a bit of a charge -- getting it up to 63%, but then I couldn't get it to react. When I would plug it in, the little charge icon would show up on the phone battery icon, but not the mod icon...
Not really a big deal, I know it's under warranty and not the end of the world, but I am curious and want to know why and how to prevent it in the future.
With this being so new on the market, I'm hoping whatever it is gets figured out soon so it doesn't become an issue as more folks start getting them....

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I don't have the Tumi Battery Mod but I do have the Incipio OffGrid Battery Mod with Wireless Charging. It took a while to Fully charge the Battery Mod after phone was fully charged using the Stock Moto Z Force Charger. So far I on my first full run its 10/2 @ 11:47 PM EST and I unplugged it from FULL Charge on 10/1 @ 8:33 AM EST. I'm Currently with 35% left on my phone battery with the Mod Fully Depleted. I thought the phone got almost 2 days by it self similar to my Old Droid Turbo. Still 2 days on full charge with Mod and Moderate use isn't to bad. Plus its not really bulky like using a Mophie case on another phone.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yes, it does take quite a while to charge up, but that's not this issue. I've had it plugged in with plenty of time to charge both to 100%, but something is interrupting the charge -- on occasion. Since I posted this, it's occurred one more time, but the other nights it's charged with no trouble. I haven't been able to find a good battery monitor app since the phone & mod work off each other. The charge/discharge readings are funky & not a "true" reading.
So far, this isn't a big problem, more annoying than anything.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree its difficult to monitor. I have been Using the GSAM Battery App as long as I can remember but it is not the same anymore since the Mod Charges the Phone it throws it off. Hopefully we can get a Mod maybe Moto will make one that will be useful.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So with the Moto Z Force and Incipio OffGrid Moto Mod i got 53hrs and 6min with Normal Usage. I understand the is supposed to get 40hrs and the Incipio OffGrid is supposed to add 22hrs. Ofcourse those are under Perfect Conditions and dont really reflect real world. Not Bad. Now I'm Calculating Recharge Times.

Screenshot_20161003-133842_zpsmrekgbzq.png

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Fully Charged my Phone and Incipio OffGrid Moto Mod. I guess having Both Charging at Once even makes the phone take Longer to Charge. Phone took 1 hr 37min & the Moto Mod too 2 hrs 36min. from 1% and 0%.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yes, there's quite a bit to charge when it's down that low. I charge while I sleep, so the time it takes to charge doesn't bother me. Unless, of course, it stops charging for whatever reason

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
By the way, you can charge battery mod without phone by placing it on wireless charger.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
By the way, you can charge battery mod without phone by placing it on wireless charger.

If only I owned one.... However, my concern is why it's happening, more than anything. It eventually corrects itself & finishes charging, I just want to know what's causing the interruption...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If only I owned one.... However, my concern is why it's happening, more than anything. It eventually corrects itself & finishes charging, I just want to know what's causing the interruption...

Have you tried searching the Z Force section in the Moto Forum, to see if others have had the same question / issue? Nothing agaisnt this forum, I love it here. The main difference is that here there is a small number of Moto Z owners and there you would see info from hundreds (or thousands) of other Moto Z owners, and possible answers from the Moto support staff. Just a thought, there may be others that have the same issue and information already shared.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk